Shimano Ultegra PD-6600 Pedals

Ultegra PD-6600

• Larger platform with more stable shoe contact
  • Lower profile design improves pedal efficiency, lowers shoe closer to pedal spindle
  • Fixed, 6 degrees (stock) and 10 degrees self-centering cleat options
  • In-pedal cleat adjustment offers faster, easier and more precise cleat adjustment
  • Die-cast aluminum body
  • Weight: only 335g pedals (pair) and 88g for cleats

• User Reviews (39)

muckspreader   Road Racer [Nov 25, 2003]
    Strength:

None... finally Shimano realised their error and invented SPD-L.

Awful cleat design... two bolt design with ridiculous pontoons. The platform is also too narrow making riding uncomfortable over very long distances (100 mile+). Difficult clipping in and out.

These pedals are the worst that I have ever used... they are difficult to get into, very difficult to get out of and the dreadful cleat design means you will make holes in whatever you walk on. Persevered with these for 2 years before finally changing to PD7701 SPD-L... these are much better pedals...better than LOOK because the platform is even wider.

Similar Products Used: LOOK, SPD-L
    Martijn   Road Racer [Aug 16, 2003]
    Strength:

Hold your feet very well.

A bit hard to clip in. Hard to disengage to (But I don't think that's a weakness)

Hmz. Read the reviews below, lots of people don't like them. Well, I do! Most important for me is that they never disengage when I don't want it. Clipping in is not very easy, but that's not a problem for me. No problems fixing the cleats to my shoes.

Similar Products Used: Look, SPD, Time Z Control
    JD Hogg   Road Racer [Aug 11, 2003]
    Strength:

Once you are in they are strong.

Difficult to engage, disengage. Difficult to adjust. Uncomfortable to ride...

I never managed to get used to these pedals, and after a year I upgraded to the new Shimano PD-R600 ones. They were way to difficult to engage / disengage, and if you loosened them too much the springs pop out. It takes a while to get them back in. They're also uncomfortable on longer rides. Despite the cheap price, do yourself a huge favor and get the ones I upgraded to! I'm so happy with those!!!

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPDs, which I loved. So I did stick with Shimano.
    Larry   Recreational Rider [Jul 14, 2003]
    Strength:

Very well made. Solid feel, easy in and out. Nice sized platform for a strong pedal stroke.

Pontoons. They are evil. It should be mentioned in the instructions that they are optional, and will cause a difficult release if used. Would have rated 5 out of 5 if not for the pontoon issue.

I purchased the 6601 pedals with the optional SH92 cleats to get 10° float. I used them with a new pair of Shimano 97 shoes. I installed the cleats per the instructions, no problems there. Put the bike on the trainer, and set the release tension for the lowest setting. I pedalled very hard and a very fast cadence, and did not experience any accidental release. So, now it was time to see how the release works. Man, it was almost impossible to click out. After a dozen times of clicking in and out, it was still very rough to release. I left the shoes clicked in, and got off the bike to take a closer look. The "pontoons" (rubber feet to protect the cleat while walking) were causing the problem. They are made from very hard rubber, and did not give at all. They were stopping my foot from swinging out away from the pedal. I removed the pontoons, and everything was great. Release and entry is great, and they have a good feel while pedalling.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 515, WTB 250.
    Dave   Triathlete [Jun 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to use.

Screws can come lose and if they do, you must buy a new clip

The pedal works okey if you don't have problem with the shoe-clips. Easy to click-in and out, but if you are a powerful cyclist you will experience several problems with screws comming lose from the shoeclip I climb a 1500m high hill/mountain. At the top I experienced that two screws, one on each shoeclip was missing, so I was stucked in both pedals. Not a good thing when you have 10miles of downhill to go... Although the pedal i easy to use, but if you loose one screw, the only thing you can do is to buy a new clip, since tightening will only damage the clip more and screws will come lose more often.

Similar Products Used: Spd, spd-sl
    cmcornetto   Recreational Rider [May 25, 2003]
    Strength:

Fairly light and sturdy. Clean slim design.

Can be a bit difficult to engage when starting on a steep hill.

I don't think these petals are as bad as everyone else does. I lubed the springs and the contact points on the cleats and had absolutely no trouble disengaging. I have the 6601 model. They felt fairly sturdy. The only complaint that I have is that when trying to engage the underside of the pedal is slick making it easy for your foot to slip off when trying to engage when you are going up hill if you don't hit it right the first time. Definitely a step up from the Sampson pedals that I used for years.

Similar Products Used: Sampson
    Z32NUT   Recreational Rider [Mar 19, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy as heck to clip in/out of.

Attract tooo many weak ankled roadies.

I bought these IN SPITE of the majority of the reviews I saw. I have the 6601's and I LOVE then so far. They are a cinch to clip into and easy to get out of. I weigh in at 240lbs and have legs like tree trunks and can climb hills all the live long day, so maybe I have an advantage in ankle strength, but come on folks, even my 100 lb GF has no problem with them, and she's a novice rider with next to nil experience with clipless. As for them getting marred up....buy steel ones then! Aluminum is soft by nature. What people will choose to whine about?? What's next? I don't like my brand X chain/ drivetrain cuz it wore out after my bizillionth century ride? Sheesh.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Shimano, Look, Time
    StanT   Recreational Rider [Mar 14, 2003]
    Strength:

Nice bearings, easy in/out so long as you pay attention (I've stayed with the lowest spring tension). Great for the open road. Do what it says on the box.

Not for town riding. Still can't get engaged without looking at them and even then it's a bit of a slow get away. Alloy bodies get marked up by the cleats when you miss.

I ordered Ultegra 6601 pedals to match my new TREK. Then I found the reviews here. Oh bum. I'm new to clipless (why do we 'clip in' to 'clipless' pedals?); only used toe-clips beforehand. Scared the willies out of me the first time I rode them. But I've stuck with it and I have to say they're fine when used properly. The discipline of twisting out and disengaging in good time comes with practice. People tell me this is normal and I've been bitten by toe-clips before now. I conclude that the revamp from the 6600 model to the 6601 has addressed the problems in earlier reviews. And now? I'm a convert. How did I manage without proper pedals? Wouldn't be without them. Will I buy another pair? Well, like everyone else, I'm waiting to see how the new SPD-Lance pedals are received. But, if there are any end-of-line deals, I might well stick with the devil I know.

Similar Products Used: toe-clips
    Dave   Recreational Rider [Feb 28, 2003]
    Strength:

Solid, easy entry,secure hold.Don't have that awful Look "CLACK" when you clip in!

Mark easily due to metal cleats,look untidy after a couple of thousand miles

Sorry guys,I don`t know if US spec is different to UK, but I find these pedals superb! I previously used a cheap set of Look pedals and found them awful, with vague entry and exit, probably due to the plastic cleats. I switched to SPDRs,after using SPDs on my mountain bike,and was immediately impressed.Nice solid entry and NEVER pulled my foot out.As for difficult release,the only problem I`ve had is when the cleat has been clogged with mud due to walking on soft ground,otherwise - NO problem, and I have only ever twisted OUT.I will say,though,that I have Shimano shoes and do have the spring tension set on minimum