Shimano Ultegra PD-6620 Pedals

Ultegra PD-6620

namillis   Recreational Rider [Aug 29, 2010]
Strength:

Large platform. Just enough rotational float (using cleats with float). No noticeable lateral float. Lightwieght. Very easy to clip into. Good weight distribution to tip the toe of the pedal up when disengaged (lends to ease of clip in).

A little difficult to clip out of compared to the Times but hasn't been a problem.

I had been riding an older pair of Time Impact Mags and really liked them because they were lightweight and I felt the generous float prevented knee problems. However I was growing tired of the lateral float. I switched to the Ultegras and love them. They are as light as my old Impacts, maybe lighter. The Times involved no setup because of all the float so I was spoiled there. On the flip side, it took me a few rides to get the Ultegra cleats positioned correctly so as not to result in discomfort but now that I have them dialed in they feel great.

Similar Products Used: Time Impact Mag
c2bsc400   Recreational Rider [Dec 16, 2009]
Strength:

Lighter than the 105 version easier to get into and out off than my 105 pedals.Very strong and long lasting little maintenance.Cleats last a long long time as well.

Heavy compared to the look pedals.Not cheap,I dont think they are the best looking pedals.I have seen the new look keo max much nicer to look at.But a pedal is a pedal bet my ultegra pedals will last much longer

Bought this product about a year ago.I have the 105 pedals which are about 3 years old,working perfectly.I wanted a new pair as i use the 105s just for turbo training on my old bike now and needed another pair for my best bike.The ultegras are better a little lighter more positive engagement.As with shimano pedals very robust last for years and years with little maintenance,just right for me as I am a little lazy with such things.

Similar Products Used: Look keo,time rxs
Zachariah   Recreational Rider [Aug 24, 2009]
Strength:

Big platform eliminates any foot/ankle flex. Every turn is felt from a power stand-point.

None yet.

After thinking Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals were more than enough for road...I finally humbled myself to try these out.

All I can say is WOW...the sheer power transfer is direct, instant and noticeable. Never will I ride MTB-specific pedals on a road bike again!

Similar Products Used: Crank Brothers Eggbeaters - no dice on road!
Speedplay Zero - My next set of pedals!
GPB   Road Racer [Jul 06, 2009]
Strength:

Build quality (steel) and durability, price, cleat design, smooth operation, simple to use, cleats interchangeable with RD540, 105 and Dura Ace (weight is not an issue for me considering they're steel). Positive click-action.

None.

I upgraded to this pedal from the prior ultegra 6100 model. The difference between the two in terms of operation is minimal at best. I think it's a little easier to clip into than the 6100...but not significantly so (and it's VERY easy once you've developed the technique). All said, easy to use and solid connection all around. I do like the wide platform, but never had hot spots with either model. Smooth operation and perfect amount of float for me. Confidence inspiring, and great price.

The cleats are decent, lightweight but not excessively durable to walk around in...and of course, that should be minimized because they will get chewed up on course concrete or other rough surfaces. They can be replaced for a nominal cost; though I've never worn a pair out yet. Also, they can loosen, so they should be checked for tightness periodically (or is it my Specialized Road Comp shoes). Never had any "unintentional unclips". Would buy 'em again.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 6100
mikpatter   Recreational Rider [Jun 12, 2009]
Strength:

Lighter than some Look pedals.

Impossible to use.

These pedals should be avoided at all costs. After 10 years of Look and Shimano 105's, I bought these. I had to return to the shop because the cleats are not compatable withh Look or Shimano 105's!. This means different shoes for different pedals! Also, they have no feel, you can't tell if your in or out. They also have a false click, you think your in but your not. They never lost there extreme stiffness.

Similar Products Used: Look, Shimano 105
patmac   Recreational Rider [Mar 15, 2009]
Strength:

Not too big, not too heavy, cleats aren't too bad to walk in.

I don't know how the limited float will play out in the long run, but my knees have been just fine the last few months.

I was the dork using my shimano or crank brothers mtb pedals for 5 years on road bikes. After figuring out why it's a bad idea to do the tri style barefoot dismount on top of an eggbeater I decided to buy road specific pedals. I now have 2 pairs of Ultegras and really enjoy them. The wide platform goes well with my wide feet and lower cadence/gear mashing ways. The screws/cleats fit nicely with my Shimano shoes.

I do miss multi sided entry, but do like how secure the pedal is.

Similar Products Used: Eggbeaters, Candys, Shimano 520, Wellgo half platform (Best $35 I have ever spent)
climb_up   Road Racer [Dec 12, 2008]
Strength:

Durable - Over 8,000 miles with no platform, spindle or cleat problems (had to replace 1st cleat after 3k miles)
Wide-platform - depending on the shoes and your spinning style this can be the greatest advantage to these and the DA pedals compared with other systems.

Weight - does weight more - but if you're not racing then it's a good training tool.
Not as smooth rolling as DA pedal or Look Keo carbons.

Think these are great for first time clipless pedal users. I dropped my bike twice on quick stoplight changes when I forgot to unclip in time - these are durable. After 300 to 500 miles it becomes instinctual and you don't have to think about getting in or out. No problems with both. After 8,000 miles of use since April 08 - I finally sold them (had no issues with them at all) for some lighter and smoother/better bearing Look Keo carbons. I don't think the Keo carbons are good for first time users as you will drop you bike at least once and the carbon design IMO is not as tough as the Al Ultegra or DA pedals. But I have noticed the drop in rotational weight and better bearings. If buying full retail price then these are a great deal but look around and you can find Look Keo carbons for the same price as these Ultegras online.

Armchair Spaceman   Recreational Rider [Nov 13, 2008]
Strength:

WIDE platform (A++++ for this!!), solid feel, easy engagement. Not too much float. Much better foot stability and feel of power application than any other I've tried.

Not engagement not quite as positive as LOOK. Not the lightest pedal )But i'm not the lightest rider). These are very minor quibbles

Had a set of 6610s for a while when the SPD-SL family first cane out and didn;t love them. These are a different story - I have WIDE feet and I instantly felt the WIDE platform on these pedals compared to my LOOKS. Nice easy engagement, and I can walk in the cleats. These or DAs will be on all my bikes soon.

Similar Products Used: LOOK PP396, CX6, CX7 (the 396s and CX6s were rock solid pedals but the '7s have always felt narrow and kinda flimsy).
h60ace   Commuter [Aug 04, 2008]
Strength:

Great looking, Strong, well built, reasonably priced, and great once clipped in.

Ever difficult to clip in, provided mounting screws for cleats too short for some shoes (SIDI), cleats wear out quickly.

Good pedals with excellent look and build quality. The one drawback it that they are extremely difficult to clip into after a stoplight. So much so that it borders upon dangerous. Another drawback is that the cleats wear out quickly. At least they are cheap. Lastly, the final drawback is that the screws are way too short for SIDI shous. I stripped out the lug in the shoes.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR MTB pedals.
jbowland   Road Racer [Aug 02, 2008]
Strength:

Durable, smooth axles, low profile, i know they will last the miles.

Eventually they will wear out and i will have to buy another pair.

This is my second pair of shimano pedals, i like the new design with the metal wear plate, thank you very much! These are simple pedals, that I expect to get several years of hard use out of. FYI these pedals tend to come with the spring tension turned way up so if you are having problems getting in just turn down the spring tension and see if that helps. I'd put them on par with the new look pedals, but I think shimano has better bearings and nicer finishing of their products.