Speedplay X/1 Titanium Pedals

Speedplay X/1 Titanium Pedals

The unique shape of X pedals provides knee-saving lateral rotation, without the self-centering action inherent in most pedals - your knees don't have to work against spring tension. Their compact, low-profile shape positions your foot closer to the spindle, for optimal power transmission, not to mention the unmatched cornering clearance. And their dual-sided design provides the easiest entry/exit of any clipless pedal. The X-1 uses a titanium spindle for maximum weight savings. 150g/pr. Comes standard with cleats and mounting hardware. Compatible with virtually every road shoe in the marketplace.Please note that due to their Ti spindles, Speedplay recommends use of the X1 pedals for riders 185lbs and lighter.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

[Nov 12, 2012]
Whtshprd

Strength:

Light, easy to maintain, dual sided for easy entry, transfers energy well, natural float allowance with ease to exit but restrictive enough to feel before actual exit.

Some complain about the cleats getting any debris and that it's impossible to get into the pedal. Although this may be true, these pedals are for a serious rider who is always in the saddle and not dismounting often. There are other pedals for that purpose.

These pedals are incredibly light with enough "float" to take any stress off the ankles and knees. I love the fact that I can step into the pedals without worrying about getting into the "right" side. I've climbed and sprinted extensively in them and have never had an accidental "pop out" of the pedal. When I bought my first set of Speedplays (X/1 Stainless), I was concerned about not "feeling" a solid transfer of energy from me to the pedal. I thought that I might feel flex in the sole of my shoe due to the oreo cookie sized area of the pedal as opposed to the Time pedals that I had owned years before. Nevertheless, there is no flex in my shoes although that may also be attributable to the quality of shoes. Maintenance is a non-issue. Very easy and relatively clean.

The only weakness is getting debris in the cleat. If you get in any mud, sand, wood chips, etc... it is very difficult to get into the pedals. I would give this item a 4 star rating for this flaw, but if you are a serious enough rider to drop $300+ on these pedals, then you are always in the saddle and not running around in your cleats. If you are doing cyclo-cross or off the saddle a lot, Speedplay makes pedals for that such purpose. So, I still rate the pedals and the cleat system 5 stars.

These are my 2nd pair of Speedplays and if I get more bikes in the future, I will not hesitate to install a pair of these on any of them.

Time (original), Time (Titan Magnesium), Onza, Speedplay X/1 stainless

[Mar 11, 2010]
Justin

Strength:

Easy on the knees
Comfortable and unrestrictive
Reduced numbnesss
Excellent power transfer

walking is cumbersome (better to stay on bike :)
avoid walking in dirt

I've read the reviews posted about these pedals and while most are positive, I felt the need to point out some of the issues other riders have presented with these pedals. I have ridden my Speedplay pedals now for 5,000+ miles (lost a computer and had to guess) and my only other experience was with SPD cleats. The issues other reviewers had with the Xseries included; difficulty with the extra float, small platform area, cleat replacement and clogging.

I can only speak for myself in this review but I'll start by saying I'll only ever own Speedplay. First, the extra float only took about two rides or 50 miles to get used to. I have absolutely no mechanical problem mashing the pedals in a sprint or accelerating up a hill/mountain. Additionally one comment from a rider suggested the extra float my have caused his knee pain. Again, I cannot speak for him but my switch from spd relieved toe, foot and leg numbness and any and all earier knee pain.

The comment on small platform area perplexes me. Yese the cleat is small but the platfom is attached to the shoe and provides substantial area in my opinion. Additionally, any good road shoe should provide a solid platform for power transfer and I believe this to be a non-issue.

The last comment I have is regards to clogging and wear. I once stepped in some mud and the dirt made it difficult to both clip in and out. I do not recommend stepping in dirt with this pedal system unless ou invest in a pair of platform covers. Problem solved. Aside from the ill advised stepping in dirt, I hve had absolutely no ware or mechanical issus with the pedals. I have replaced no part of the pedal and have only once regreased inside the cleat. The are a solid construction, at least for this 160lb rider, and I highly recommend!

Shimano SPD

[Aug 10, 2005]
red serotta

Strength:

Double sided entry. Lightweight (but not the lightest, as advertised). Parts are available, but pricey.

The cleats are a nightmare if you have to walk very far, especially in loose sand or dirt. I've tried the cleat covers but inevitably end up losing them after one or two uses.

I've ridden the X/1 and X/2 cleats for over 40,000 miles and have them on both my road bike and time trial bike. The pedals are well designed and will go forever as long as you maintain the grease in the pedal body. I even replaced the stainless steel "bowties" on the pedals with aftermarket aluminum ones to save a few more grams. I do have issues with these pedals though, enough so that I have recently swithched to Look Keos. For having such advanced pedals, the Speedplay cleats are a real pain. They clog easily when walking in sand or dirt, and they can wear down groves in the expensive titanium spindles of your pedals if the cleats are not regularly replaced. Also, the cleats are heavy, they bring the combined pedal/cleat weight up to more than the steel spindled Look Keo/cleat weight. Another interesting thing about the switch to the Looks has been the disappearance of knee pain. I thought that the free float was better for bad knees, but now I think that the knee needs to be held firmly in position, especially when climbing out of the saddle.

Shimano SPD (too small a platform) and Look Keo (the best pedal on the market today).

[Feb 04, 2005]
Xinram

Strength:

Weight,views

"Heavy" cleats

Love this pedal. Got them from Flanders Pro-cycling Team. Very light weight.

Look,Campy,Shimano

[Aug 10, 2004]
Teo

Strength:

Easy entry Very light

Maybe price

I’m primarily a mountain biker so I’m used to double sided entry. I once tried Look 396 pedals and could not get the hang of getting into them. Got frustrated and left road biking for a couple of years. Decided to get back into it recently so I purchased the X1’s and absolutely love them. Entry is a breeze. You pretty much just step down and you’re in. Just like mountain bike pedals. Why everyone doesn’t use these is beyond me. I didn’t notice very much of the gliding on ice feeling unless I really paid attention. And the contact point is plenty large especially if you match it with stiff carbon sole shoes. And these are of course wicked light. Overall the best pedal out there.

Any double sided pedals

[Jul 30, 2003]
Mink

Strength:

What I like most about these pedals (apart from their weight – is there a lighter pedal anywhere?) is that they are genuinely forgettable. Clipping in at a busy intersection, on an upward slope, or at the start of a crowded race, is no longer an issue – just step down and that’s it (once your foot has ‘learned’ exactly where to step). I’ve always found it easy to clip out of the pedals. I think it’s unlikely anyone would clip out by mistake, because you need to swing your heel out a little further than you would do unconsciously. But there’s no sensation of unclipping – you swing your heel out and you’re free! I have followed Speedplay’s advice about cleaning and lubing the cleat with White Lightning, and had no problems.

While I like the Sidis, I miss the ease of walking around on my MTB shoes – but it’s no biggie. A week ago we stopped at a smart hotel where Team Telekom stay during their winter (our summer) training camps. The hotel staff were happy about us leaving our bikes in the foyer (in fact they have a perfectly good TT Pinarello hanging on the wall above the reception desk) but it felt a bit odd walking through the hotel and sitting in their plush coffee shop in our socks. But better than clattering across their marble floors in cleats…

These are my first true roadbike pedals – previously I used single-sided SPD pedals with Diadora MTB shoes. I bought the pedals and Sidi Energy shoes at the same time. Took me a couple of rides to set up the cleats right – moved them inward a bit, so my foot moved outward, because my heels were clipping the seat-stay. And it took a few rides before I stopped noticing the ‘walking on ice’ feeling of zero resistance to float. It also took a couple of months before I could click onto the pedals without conscious thought – although I never reached this stage with my old setup. But none of these adaptations made me feel insecure – it’s just a matter of becoming one with the machinery...

[Mar 25, 2003]
morency

Strength:

low weight, great cornering clearance, float

on bad Flanders roads the spring inside the cleat makes a ratling sound. Also turning out of the pedal makes your shoe rub the crankarm

bought them because of the low weight, great cornering clearance and extreme float. Not fully used to it but I think I will be losing some power while sprinting due to the extreme float(?)

look pp396, spd

[Aug 27, 2002]
tres

Strength:

weight looks everything

price

yes i got them used but..... i love them, if u got the cash buy them if not buy the x/3 these are the best made! one more thing if you abuse the product (like walk through drit) dont diss it go buy some cross peadles. about the ice scate thing no probe for me i learned to ride with speedplay frogs so it was an easy switch

look dura ace and campy

[Jul 03, 2002]
stcamp

Strength:

Weight,Float, Entry & Exit. Style is a matter of opinion, yet for me, the X/1 make a statement of comfort, yet built for serious riding.

Price may be a concern for some, yet if you can afford it....life is good!

After 5 years of riding on the X/2's I switched to the X/1's only for the weight. As an old "dude" who rides 100+ miles a week, the float treats my knees like "butter," and weighing 175lbs, there is no problem with flex with the TI. Have recommended this pedal to approx. 10 of my riding budies, and each of them has raved about comfort, ease of entry/exit and of course the weight savings compared to other mfg's.

Look, Dura-Ace

[Jun 11, 2002]
TrekRider5200

Strength:

Easy in, easy out..great looks

Pricey, and weight limitations

These pedals are great, easy to get into, easy to get out of, lightweight, and ultra cool look. If you are looking to shave a ton of weight, this is a no-brainer. Pricey, but so is every other ultra-lite part.

Look, Shimano