Speedplay X/2 Pedals

Speedplay X/2 Pedals

The Speedplay X2 pedal has all of the technical benefit of the X1 version: It provides knee-saving lateral rotation, without the self-centering action inherent in most pedals - your knees don't have to work against spring tension. Their compact, low-profile shape positions your foot closer to the spindle, for optimal power transmission, not to mention the unmatched cornering clearance. And their dual-sided design provides the easiest entry/exit of any clipless pedal. The X2 is different from the X1 in that it has Stainless Steel spindles instead of Ti. They come standard with cleats and mounting hardware and are compatible with virtually every road shoe in the marketplace.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

[Oct 15, 2012]
Douglas Bjorkman

Strength:

Light, couldn't be easier to clip in and out of, have had same set for twenty years though only perhaps twenty thousand miles on that bike. Still work fine. Looks have worn out in same time though admittedly higher mileage. Only just replaced second set of cleats but I am quite careful as the cleats are expensive. Maintenance for pedals has been no problem, You need to keep the cleats clean,

Expensive cleats

Best pedals around unless you are light enough for X1s which are too expensive anyway

[Jul 01, 2011]
Burr

Strength:

Free Float. Great for club rides and racing/training. I wouldn't recommend for touring and would change to a SPD type pedal so I could use my MB shoes or sandals. Much easier to walk in...

If there is one, it would be the massive cleat, but not a big deal.

easy in easy out!

A cycling buddy gave me a pair X/2's last week because his wife couldn't get used to the free float. My initial impression was that it felt like I wasn't cipped...not used to the free float, but once I adjusted, they a a dream to ride on, though i was a bit nervous when jumped into my first sprint...

That sure is one big honkin' cleat attached to the bottom my shoe! I wonder what the total weight is?

As for the maintenance issues I've read about in previous reviews, that remains to be seen. The price was right either way.

Shimano, Look

[Jun 13, 2011]
West

Strength:

When it works, the float is amazing!

While riding the Gran Fondo, NYC, it became impossible to clip in, no matter how much lube/grease was used. It really ruined the ride

Works fine to start, then clipping in become a chore and then become impossible

Mt. Bike pedals- xtr- ALWAYS works

[Dec 10, 2010]
Jersey Geoff

Strength:

the float, the ability to click in even if dirty, even if worn and the metal to the ground durability

Price- I'd love to put a pair of Titaniums on my Seven, just can justify the upgrade grams versus dollars- so I stick with Stainless

Reading these reviews makes me think I'm in an alternate Universe! I love my speedplays, many of my friends ride them, we ride them hard and they are durable and last and last, and no plastic crap on the shoe bottom to wear away or fail to click in after a lunch stop.I've used them now for over 10 years, and over 35,000 miles- I think I've put 2 replacement plates on. LBS greases them once in a while. they work and work.

looks and shimanos and nashbars

[Dec 09, 2010]
Sammy Al-Doory

Strength:

nice float,easy entry (as long as the cleats aren't worn, which doesn't take long)

You never stop paying for these because of easily worn springs and speed play just tells you to buy their "new and improved model

Have used these pedals for a while and they were okay as long as I could buy replacement spring kits, but now you have to buy the whole cleat which is at least $40.00. Called speedplay to complain and they suggested I buy the zero pedal instead. No incentive, just fork over some more cash to us.
Sorry, but I refuse to keep buying their cleats, and have switched to look instead,where the cleats are half the price and last longer

Look keo

[Nov 05, 2010]
sameoldguy

Strength:

Love the float

Break all the time. Would not recommend to anybody. Too expensive to maintain.
Speedplay recommended I sell my X pedals on Ebay and upgrade to their Lite action or Zero. No help from them to trade up.

Speedplay X stainless pedals. C springs wore flat in a very short time and broke. Replaced c springs 3 times in 1 year. Replaced cleats $50 in 1 year after the medal broke off in the corner of the original cleats. New cleats broke within 3 months same location

Look, Shimano R600 and Time

[Sep 23, 2010]
mojocracker

Strength:

Only pedal with this much float. Easy entry and exit. (As long as the cleats aren't worn)

A gougy business/technology model by Speedplay manifested in cleats that need to be replace @ $40 every 2k miles. It would be interesting to find out how much margin is in these cleats which basically consist on of two metal plates and a coil spring.

I have used Speedplay pedals for ten years now. I have X-1 (Titanium) X-2 (Stainless) and X-5 (Chromoloy).

I love these pedals for the float which is great on my old arthritic knees.

I loathe them for the maintenence they require, dealing with a pain-in-the-ass grease gun which clogs and is messy to work with. Speedplay gouges unsuspecting consumers $40 for the grease gun which is identical (inferior in some cases) to one that be purchased at any auto parts store.

I also hate that I have Speedplay in my pocket every few months for $40 for a replacement pair of cleats that wear out after 2k-3k thousand miles.

The Chromos tend to throw grease faster than the stainless or titanium. If you throw all the grease out the pedal will self destruct forthwith.

Look pedals. Plan to shop around for something less expensive and high maintenence. After ten years I am growing weary of these. They punish me for putting in good riding miles.

[Sep 02, 2010]
sbesbe

Strength:

Light, easy in and out, float adjustments, shoe contact.

Durability and not-so-helpful staff at SpeedPlay.

Love the pedals in terms of ease of use, float, weight, adjustability. However, I had to buy new ones after 14 months (about 3,000 miles) and SpeedPlay refused to extend the warranty past one year. I had them serviced regularly so the failure was definitely a quality problem. One of the pedals seized and replacing the two sets of bearings (main set and the "pin" bearings) would run in the neighborhood of $100, so I just went ahead and bought new ones. I'm hoping the durability issue was limited to my first pair.

[Aug 16, 2010]
Andrea

Strength:

Simplicity and ease to clip in and out of. Excellent float.

Price and uninformed salesmen.

Love these pedals. Every salesman attempted to sell me into the Look pedals (which are good for some). I have a chronic knee injury and the Speedplay's allow me to adjust my knee alignment via float to help alleviate my knee pain while climbing. These pedals are also EXTREMELY easy to clip in and out of, and are in no way remotely close to Look/Specialized pedals. I am finally not afraid of my road bike and am looking forward to riding without my husband now :)

Shimano clip in
Look Keo Carbon

[May 14, 2010]
new_to_boston

Strength:

Light, comfortable, easy to use, amazingly durable.

Not the tightest hold you could imagine.

Terrific pedals. I bought these X/2s used, sight-unseen, nine years ago now. I've done exactly ZERO maintenance of any kind on them--never once greased them, cleaned them, anything. And still not a single mechanical problems. Very surprising to read that a few other reviewers have had durability issues, because these couldn't have been more durable for me. (And keep in mind they were used when I bought them.) After a couple of straight years of total neglect, I did manage to lose a couple of the screws on one cleat, but what would you expect? These things (pedals and cleats) are bomb-proof. And comfortable as could be, as everyone seems to agree. Light, double-sided, tons of float, you just can't go wrong with these. I've popped out two, maybe three times over the nine years, and it could be because of the float these give you, so they may not be for ultra-hardcore performance junkies. Or more likely, they popped just because they were dirty, since I hadn't cleaned them!

SPD