Speedplay X/3 Pedals

X/3

No-look entry, low cornering angle, free float, double-sided entry. Chromoly steel axle with Black electro plating, cartridge bearing, and a bushing. Grease port for easy maintanence, SLIM LINE cleats.

Zach Weinger   Road Racer [Aug 04, 2007]
Strength:

very light and easy clip in

none thus far

Great pedals for every sort of ride. i like them most for sprinting because they are easy on the knees.

starmaster   Recreational Rider [Sep 29, 2005]
Strength:

No more knee pain! Easy to get in and out.

Thank You Speedplay!! My knees have not felt this good in a long time. My legs and back feel great after each ride now that I started using these pedals. I have been riding since 1972 and I only wish they had these pedals back then.

Similar Products Used: Shimano& Campy
RobbDC   Road Racer [Jun 28, 2005]
Strength:

float is nice, so is clearence.

the tilt really sucks. your foot is never tight on the pedal and it feels loose rocking back and forth to the left and right. The cleats wear out very very fast and they totally blow when worn out. The pedals also wear out very fast and I've had to replace them frequently.

I have used this product for over 3 years and I think I have gone through 3 or 4 pairs. I put in about 600 hours of riding per year and I lubricate (internally and ex) bearing proper instructions. I guess the x3s have bad bearings as each time I had to replace, it was because of the pedal becoming disengaged with the spindle. The float is nice and good on the knees but I really never have had any knee problems. The clearence is nice too as I find that I can pedal through tight corners during crits and not worry about the pedal scraping the ground. The only reason I have not switched earlier is becuase i have 3 pairs of shoes with speedplay pedals and 2 bikes. I'm just going to use different pedal systems now.

Similar Products Used: Look, Time, Shimano, Crank Brothers
abtractedfoundation   Road Racer [Jun 07, 2005]
Strength:

float is awsome clip in and out very easily (when you want to)

-durability of cleat -durabilty of pedal bearings -pedal/cleat connection is dependant on a clean enviroment -walkability

I have used these pedals for about a year. I have worn through 2 maybe three pairs of cleats. The first I killed running through a construction site. A rock bent the wire in my cleat, and weakened the connection between pedal and shoe. The second and maybe third wear is from walking on the cleat, which is very difficult, but can be done uncomfortably. I like to do pirouttes on linoleum floors with them through.... =) Overall these are great pedals, they annihilated all knee pain from my riding, and feel great from my 5 mile commute to 150 mile endurance events. Don't even think about getting the cleat or pedal dirty! I have been locked in and out of my cleats because of the tiniest bit of snow, which was very scary to be locked in but less frustrating that being locked out. If you carry a knife you can clean the cleat everytime you step in some snow. If you are locked in, you can thaw off indoors (of possible), wrench it out (be careful of your knee, no kidding), or my favorite but least recommended face plant into a snow bank. I know this review has been concentrating on the negatives, but the positives are simply that these are great pedals for your knees. I also recently killed my pedals. I didn't grease them and they totally died, I have lateral, vertical, and distal play in them, as well as a ferocious creaking and snapping sound. Just looking online for more pedals, I am thinking about frogs for dirt shedding.

Similar Products Used: non similar, these pedals are pretty one of a kind.
libor.krasny   Recreational Rider [May 04, 2005]
Strength:

free float lightweight easy to service

cleats too expensive and wear out too fast

After 10 years of using LOOK pedals I switched to Speedplay for the free float. The decreased load on my knees was immediately noticeable. Getting in and out is easy, I never got unintentionally disengaged from the pedals. The main problem are the cleats. They wear out rather quickly - the pedal bodies press themselves into the composite part of the cleats, eventually creating lots of up and down wobble that in my case caused some knee discomfort. After replacing the cleats for a new pair, the discomfort disappeared. I used the old pair of cleats for about 14,000 km, significantly more than what the manufacturer recomends (8,000 km). So, it is wise to replace the cleats more frequently. Unfortunately, the cleats are not cheap, but considering the benefits - riding your bike without knee problems - it is worth the money.

Similar Products Used: various LOOK pedals
viridian1138   Recreational Rider [Mar 07, 2005]
Strength:

Very light.

High coefficient of friction in rotation. Expensive.

I like the Speedplay X and I have been pretty happy with it. I have been on several century rides with no problems. I haven't experienced anything like the "riding on ice" effect. BTW, I have seen some reviews on this site suggesting that the older Shimano carbon shoes can be mated to the Speedplay cleats even though the manual doesn't recommend it. DON'T DO THIS! I tried that for a few months, and the screws started coming loose on the cleats. Serious safety issues here. I'm glad I noticed it when I did. Since then, I upgraded to Sidi Genius shoes and I haven't had a problem since. They're great cleats. Just follow the enclosed directions as to which shoes are compatible.

Similar Products Used: None.
DocJ   Recreational Rider [Jan 28, 2005]
Strength:

Double sided, simple design, easy on/off, enough float to dance around if you want.

Cleat is not walk friendly

I was born into the world of clipless pedals seven years ago on a mountain bike (Time ATACs) and have since moved back to Louisiana which is pretty much a mountain bike wasteland with a couple exceptions. So, I dusted off the old road bike that got me into the whole pedalling thing 14 years ago. Having been used to the "walking on icecubes" feel of he ATACs, I find the X-3's almost perfect for me. Very easy in and easier out (had a little trouble clipping in on one side at first, but found that the inner cleat screw was too tight). Would love this setup somehow with a walkable cleat.. oh well. Highly recommended if you want a dependable, easy on/off, light with lots of float.

Similar Products Used: Time ATAC (mtn), wife's speedplay candy (great, but I likes to float)
Dennis the Mennis   Recreational Rider [Dec 03, 2004]
Strength:

Lots of float, light weight, good price.

The float makes clipping out very hard on the outside of your ankles over time. The cleats are fragile and not suited for even the limited walking done getting the bike out of the garage and at stop lights.

I bought these for their great float and light weight, plus the decent price. On my third ride (!) I had trouble clipping in. I spent 15 minutes at the side of the raod messing with the cleat to get it to work. It seems it had deformed slightly when I stepped on a pebble or something, and the cleat spring was binding in the open position. By putting the springs in the cleats they made them more susceptible to damage. Also, I found that the large float angle started to tear the tendon on the outside of my ankle after a while as I had to twist much further. Loosening the tension of the pedal didn't help. I liked these pedals fine otherwise; no comfort issues even on hilly centuries. I'd say these are great if you don't get in and out of them often, or walk with the cleats.

Similar Products Used: SPDs of various models, Performance Forte.
asianarnold1   Recreational Rider [Oct 27, 2004]
Strength:

Light, 2 side entry, float, service.

Bushing goes out after 1500mi. A friend at work has the same problem. Some hotspots on long rides(80+ mi).

This is my first real clipless pedal after using SPDs for 3 mos. I've had this for 1 yr and 5000 miles. Great pedal for the knees w/ lots of float. I had 2 ACL surgeries from b-bal. It takes a few practice to figure out the point where it clips out. I had problems on the right pedal after 1500 miles. I notices clicking noises at the same point of the crank rotation. Very annoying. Brought it to the LBS and checked out the cranks and BB at no charge. Finally guessed it's the pedal. They called Speedplay, and sent it back for servicing (w/ a chance that they'd replace it w/ a new one, but no chance). After 3 weeks, the pedals(both L+R)returned w/ new bushings. Just like new. No problem since. Great service from LBS and Speedplay. The LBS even lent me a loaner X3. I'd probably get at least an X2 or better next time.