Speedplay X/5 Pedals

Speedplay X/5 Pedals

-Easy dual-sided entry: no kicking it over, no looking down, no fumbling.
-Non-centering free float minimizes the potential for knee strain.
-Unbeatable cornering clearance: X/5 - 35 degrees.
-Large contact area, extremely stable cleat-to-shoe connection.
-Compatible with virtually all 3-hole and 4-hole shoe mountings.
-220 grams

[Jul 02, 2014]
sanrem87@gmail.com

Strength:

Superb natural float. A cliche I know but you do feel part of the bike with these pedals. Reasonably light (inc cleats) for the price. Very smooth barings which in my experience have lasted well. Double sided pedals on a road bike is very nice.

Pain to set up as you in effect have 2 lots of adjustments to make on both the cleats and the cleat/shoe mount. Get anything stuck in the cleats and you can expect to take 20 mins to clean them, even a tiny amount of grit and you are history. Cleats are made of the softest metal known to humanity, you can literally feel the cleats waring away as you walk on them, so covers are a must. I have the coffee stop covers and they continually fall off, you can spend more time waring your cleats away looking for them than actually riding. Cleats are very expensive. Grease can leak.

Overall a good pedal with great float but the cons out weigh the pros big time! So much so I am changing to Look or Time soon.
If you have dodgy knees and like double sided pedals, go for it. If not, DON'T!

[Jun 16, 2010]
rt5000

Strength:

- Ease of entry
- Low initial cost--the x5 has very - respectable total weight for only $115.
free float (though that is a taste thing)

- bearing maintenance required
- Constant presence of grease on the pedals, providing a dork tattoo just by brushing your leg against the pedals.
- Cleats are extremely intolerant of dirt contamination. If you step in mud you're toast--and they're hard to clean without disassembly.
- very hard to walk on without cleat covers.
- hot spots when riding from the small pedal contact point.
- short life--bearings or bow ties are gone in 8 - 10,000 miles.

These are easy to use, a decent value, and a great first clip-in pedal. Just push down and you're in. They are priced competitively with other pedals, but if you're comparing weights with other pedals, be sure to compare the cleat weights. Since the spring is in the cleats, and most installations require 7 screws per shoe, the speedplay cleats weigh about 20 - 40 grams more most others. Speedplay asserts that from a surface contact standpoint you need to look at the cleat size and not the miniscule pedal. However the cleat doesn't really disperse the pressure across your foot--all the pressure is on that tiny lolly pop. I've gotten hot spots often from the small contact area.

I've used speedplay x-series for years, but got tired of the hot spots, the perpetual presence of grease that oozes out of the pedal body, and the short life of the cleats, pedal bearings, and bow ties.

Shimano SPD; Time iClic (ooh ahh)

[Nov 29, 2009]
Little Bunny Foo Foo

Strength:

Lots of float. I don't have crankbending power, but they're good for ameture racers like myself.

Requires constant attention.
Cleats are not very cheap and need regular replacement.

My favorite pedal. Period and end of story. I've never come out of the pedals and they're fairly easy to get into. Setup is easy and straight forward. Pedals are also rebuildable if they happen to wear out (I'm not sure how many miles this would take). One thing, though is that these pedals do require a fair amount of maintenance compaired to everything else I've ever used. Keep the pedals full of grease and remember to frequently lube the cleats with a dry wax type lube. This will help keep the bearings and pedals nice and tight and will allow the cleats to snap in easily.

I rated them a 4 for value because even though they are slightly pricey, they're much better for the purpose than my Crank Bros pedals (another free floating, high quality pedal) and only slightly more expensive. Also, new cleats must be purchased every 5,000 miles or so.

Gave it a 4 overall just because of the amount of attention they need. If they needed less I would have no problem giving them a 5.

Crank Bros Candy C, a bunch of other SPD junk, both Shimano and generic

[Jun 22, 2009]
marxman13

Strength:

Durable Cleats
Easy entry and release
Unlimited float
Double sided

Cleats get damaged walking off the bike, but the little cleat caps solve that.

Was recommended a set of these for knee problems seeing as they have unlimited float. I have used the on 2 bikes so far and intend to stay with speedplays.

SPD

[Jan 30, 2008]
tifighter

Strength:

quiet/durable cleats
easy to setup
low stack height
excellent cornering clearance
entry/release
easy on the joints

I'm nitpicking; they assume blue will match everyone's bike. Color choices are available on Light Action. Might check those out when this pair gives up the ghost

Switched from Looks to Speedplay X3's. X3's were the best pedals I've had. Speedplay discontinued them and came out with this version. I'm just as pleased. Cleats are far more durable than Looks. I get about 5,000 miles per pair. Setup is simple; you don't have to worry about cleat rotation when you mount them. Unlike Look cleats, these will never squeak. Stack height is low, which translates into greater power transfer. Corner clearance is excellent. Entry and release are a snap, and tension is independent of release. They hold your foot securely. I find free float to be less stressful on my knees, because a spring doesn't force you to rotate back to center. They're superlight and trick for such a small pricetag. Haven't had any maintenance issues. If you have joint problems, buy these; heck, buy 'em even if you don't.

various Look models
Time
Shimano

[Jan 21, 2008]
Jeff D

Strength:

unlimited float is easy on the knees.

I trashed them in only a few thousand miles. (165 lbs, strong but not that strong)

These were my first pedals. Got them because I was worried about potential knee problems. They are indeed good on the knees, but mine developed significant axial play in < 1000 miles. I could fix it by taking them apart and rebuilding, but it was a pain. Also, they wouldn't hold grease...it just squirted out the lolipop/spindle interface within about 50 miles (speedplay grease and gun). After another couple thousand miles there was play in every axis (pedal, not cleat). Just felt like alot of slop in the system when pedaling. Finally, I always developed hot spots on them. Eventually bought some dura ace pd-7810s, which are fabulous. Overall, I was disappointed in the X5.

Shimano pd-7810

[Nov 08, 2007]
crashtestdummy

Strength:

Strong, light, easy to use

none for me

Like these pedals a lot. Over 2000 miles and no problems at all. Takes a ride or two to get used to free float, felt weird at first in a strong cross wind. Easy to clip in and out.

[Aug 08, 2007]
christris

Strength:

Dual sided for ease of getting in. Massive amounts of float. Durable.

The cleat system gets junk in it sometimes but that's such a small negative

These are pretty much what you would expect. A good pedal for a good price. 2500 miles and no issues other than simple maintenance lubrication. I'm a clydesdale and I really jam on these pedals with no issues.

Shimano SPD

[Apr 27, 2007]
volfanredfishman

Strength:

Light, easy on the knees

I recently had my 3rd knee surgery. I was begining to think my riding days were over but thanks to these pedals I,ve started back. Now all I have to do is loose the 25 lbs I gained since not being able to ride. I would highly recomend these pedals to anyone having bicycle related knee problems.

SPD

[Nov 10, 2006]
eagleeye

Strength:

Dual sided entry.
Free float.
Durable.

Free float

Relatively light.

If you need an entry clipless pedal, look no further. These will get you on the road to better things.

Speedplay Zero Ti