Time Impact Mag Pedals

Time Impact Mag Pedals

Full-featured road pedal with weight saving magnesium body.

[Jul 20, 2005]
xonecrazybikerx

Strength:

Extreme ease of entry/exit, great amount of float. the cleats arent crazy hard to walk on either. Its a difference between night and day between the look and times... I also like the feel of the pedals...not to big and bulky, but not to wierd positioning either.

the price if you buy it retail...but hey i got it for free because my friend uses speedplays...

Wow...that is the single word that describes these pedals... i had been attempting to get in to clipless for my road bike. I had tried 1995-6-ish looks...and they were really hard to clip out of...that was about a year ago. They would sumtimes unclip, or sumtimes they wouldnt...which results in alot of falls. I have been using these impacts and i havnt fallen over...i almost did, but they are so easy to purposefully clip out of, that i was still able to catch myself.

'95-'96 ish looks toe clip pedals...(i guess thats not really similar, but oh well)

[May 04, 2005]
Keith

Strength:

Love the recessed brass cleat, and that you can walk around with these cleats. I'm slip all over the place on the Speedplays

None at the moment, but suspect the black paint will take a beating.

I really like these pedals. I've been using Speedplay X2's, but found that too much float can have just as many problems as limited float. I like that you can 'tune' these pedals to your own preferences.

Speedplay X2 & X3's. Look 396's & Ritchey.

[May 18, 2004]
tombowen

Strength:

Ground clearance, weight, and looks. But most importantly is the comfort they provide with the large contact area.

None that I have seen so far. Some have mentioned they get scuffed up easily but that seems unavoidable with that big brass cleat going in all the time. Anyway if it gets a little rough looking I dont care as long as it works.

I have found my pedal! After riding a variety of pedals my search is over. I like the broad solid contact I have between the cleat and the pedal. I have no problems cleating in or out as some have mentioned. The cleats are very easy to walk in and should last a year or so. I really like the combination of lateral and rotational float they offer, I havent had any knee, ankle or foot issues with them.

Look PP206, Look 396, Speedplay

[Apr 17, 2004]
crazychinaman

Strength:

nice design and light. the cleat is good as it is hard plastic and easy to walk in.

there are too many parts inthe pedal!! if you were to spend the money, i really recommend spending the money on the SPD-SLs, which is what I'm using right now and I love them and don't know why I thought these would be better

thought it would complement my TIMe bike, but boy was I wrong, I really hated these pedals because of the craftsmanship, one of the screws was a warranty issue and it became impossible to get out of it after one ride. I had to snap in to get out!

speed play, look, SPDSL,

[Feb 11, 2004]
Nightengale

Strength:

Light weight, comfortable, excellent power transfer, cleat lasts a long time and is really safe and easy to walk on.

Might be on the fragile side for some. Can be a little pricey if you pay retail.

I have ridden Time Criterium Pedals as far back as 1990 and have been on the Ti/Mag Equippe Pros for the last five years until I bought the Mag Impacts. These are really great pedals, and I give them a wholehearted recommendation. The pedals are lightweight, and offer plenty of adjustability. I used the q-factor adjustment to good effect. You have to be careful with these small adjustment parts. Neanderthals (no offense) will destroy them. I have found the cleats to be more durable than the Equippes and very much easier to walk on, although they cost a lot more ($40 vs. $25) and were hard to get for awhile. Also, I find entry to the pedals to be easier than Equippes and appreciate the adjustable release angle. I have never clipped out inadvertently, but I find deliberate exit to be easy. I find the engagement somewhat similar to the ATACs, although in a different paradigm. Notably, these pedals are comfortable. Yes, the pedals actually increase the comfort of the foot. And I have had a bilateral fracture of my right foot so I am very sensitive to this aspect of a pedal's function. Cleat mounting with my Sidi's (winter shoes - nice) was easy with the provided hardware. I think my Specialized road shoes might have needed longer mounting bolts but any reasonable pack rat will have the extra pieces at hand. The pedal/cleat combination is much lighter than even Ti/Mag Equippes, allowing for greater acceleration and maintenance of a steady speed with less effort. Also, these pedals have greater torque transmission for sprinting and climbing than the Equippes. If you liked Time’s previous products as I did, I think you will really appreciate these pedals.

Original look pedals; and mid 90s carbon model (286s?), Time Criterium and Equippe pro ti/mag

[Feb 02, 2004]
Ben

Strength:

-Light -Adjustable Float -Easy entry and exit

-Lateral 'shifting' / float that can't be adjusted or eliminated (?)

I had been using Speed Play Zero's but I suspect the 'free' float has been irritating my achilles tendons (any one else have thoughts on this?). The Times feel good and I like the fact that you can adjust the feel of the float. It's there (the float) but it is not as 'slippery' as the Speed Plays. On a downside, I don't like the lateral movement. Is there any way to adjust this? I only notice this lateral 'shifting' with my left foot...any suggestions?

-Old School Time's -Speed Play X's and Zeros

[Jan 14, 2004]
Eric_H

Strength:

Good platform, smooth float that works for me, quick and easy entry after a short adjustment period, light weight compared to old Time setup.

Finish is easily scratched, chipped, and scuffed making the pedals look older than they are. Cleat durability is average.

This is more of a long-term review. My initial-impression review is posted in the Impact Ti Mag review section, and I have been using both the Mag and Ti-Mag pedals since last April with Sidi Ergo1 carbon shoes (nice shoes, shame about the price!!!). I still like the pedals as much as I initially did and they feel every bit as solid as my formerly preferred Time Equipe Pros, but a couple of long-term gremlins have showed up. First, the finish is very easily damaged on these pedals, even more easily than the older Equipes. This makes the pedals look older than they are, and I find winter riding in the wet has really "aged" them. Second, I have had the cleat come loose on the mounting plate on one shoe, that is the brass cleat has become loose on the Impact cleat plate. I removed the cleat from the shoe and tightened up the bolts, but it eventually loosened again. This was on my left foot, and I use this foot most when unclipping for routine stops. After a couple of tighten-loosen sessions, I just replaced the cleats. They were reasonably worn after roughly 10000 km of riding. This is not bad life for cleats, but at $35 US the cleats are expensive. All things considered, I still give the pedals an overall of 5, and a value rating of 4 because they can be had for much less than retail on eBay or from La Bicicletta or Total Cycling.

Time Equipe Pro Mag, Speedplay X2 (despised them), Look 256 and Carbon Pro, Shimano PD7401

[Dec 17, 2003]
Jay K24

Strength:

-Harder to clip out of so no accidents. -Seemingly efficient-nice platform when standing. -Very easy to walk in for a road pedal.

-$$$, got to shop around. -Cheezy bolts for "Look type" setup with shoe, which were too long, and replaced.

Have ridden w/ Look SPD pedals exclusively, including 120 mile rides, and never had a problem. Now riding on the flats faster, and when started sprinting started accidently clipped out, and last time flipped over bars and broke collarbone. So it was time for road pedals, with best reviews seemingly given to the Time Impacts and Speedplays. Tested out Speedplays, (very easy to clip into) and know lots of people that rave about them--but they are terrible to walk in, and performance suffers when the cleat gets dirty/ muddy. Time Impacts were almost as light, seemed better to walk in, but clipping in/out was raised as an issue. As I get off the bike alot on long rides, and people that I know who had Speedplays demolish cleats, decided to go with Times. Was going to get the MAG pedals but N.Ireland store had TI-MAG at such a great price went w/ them. Also bought a pair of basic steel ones (via ebay, just a little more than just getting replacement cleat) for trainer. So far great-no problem clipping in-much harder to clip out than SPD's. Bells and whistles on pedal I've left alone. Float that recenters my foot is cool. Also like that don't need pedal wrench to put them on (uses allen wrench).

Look SPD Cr2's

[Nov 26, 2003]
Will Schneider

Strength:

Light Weight! nice feel and lots of lively feeling to them.

Do Not like the way the lateral 2.5 and 5 mm float works. This puts my feet away from the cranks, when I won't them to stay. I feel that this should haved been made a choice to have or not.

Nice,but would like to have a choice to turn off the lateral 2.5 and 5mm to (0). Keep working on this Time and you will have a perfect 10!!!!

Old Time Ti/ Mag

[Aug 21, 2003]
yenrod

Strength:

Adjustment.

Practice (entry) makes perfect. But not a big thing - you'll still get in them.

Having used Time pedals ever since I swapped for a pair of Equipe Magnesiums (the classic white ones) from a friend and aint looked back since. From the above to the Equipes, the Impacts are quite a pedal not only are they good for LOOK fans they'll satisfy any TIME afficionado. The Screws supplied are OK but I changed mine to allen key after one ride as the cleats can slip on the sole depending on the shoe you use. As is usual with TIME they require a certain technique for entry into - it really is the most natural technique not as per LOOK or SPD etc... Anyone with ANY type of foot will be accomodated, just switch the cleat left to the right shoe right cleat to the left shoe & anyone who cycles with their feet ankles out will be taken care no problem. Or they other way; ankles in / rubbing the crank' switch the cleats over to the respective pedals. Going from the last pedal which was pretty stiff for movement and so these are adjustable to 3 ratings which I'd describe as springy - slippy, medium and tight. Also included in this is, the 'feel' of the movement. With the 'oldpedals' you moved your foot yet with wear and pedal rotation they kind of shifted but moved outwards away from the crank. Not with these - you put your foot in a position / your foot naturally goes to an angle it likes: it stays there ! So theirs a metered like tension to the movement that keep the foot where in the position its in yet can move freely to the tension you set it too. I seriously wonder if TIME will ever be able to better this pedal.

All Time pedals, SPD's offroad versions. LOOK - oh my god !