Time RXS Carbon Pedals

RXS Carbon

Time RXS Clipless Carbon pedals is a high performance super lightweight pedal set. Biomechanically efficient angular float. Adjustable Q-factor, rotational float of +/- 5 degrees and lateral float of 2.5mm.

kombo   Road Racer [Jul 01, 2011]
Strength:

Nice click that lets you know you're in.
Good amount of float (for those that like it)
Nice and light
Smooth bearings
Adjustable tension of float

If you don't click in on the first try then your foot slips off pretty easy.

These are great pedals. I came from the crank bros system (on both mtn and road), which are possibly the easiest pedals to get in and out of.
On my first ride they took a little getting used to, but now I get into them first time every time. I'm not sure why people find these hard to step in to.

slowpokepete   Recreational Rider [Nov 09, 2010]
Strength:

Good looks.

Light weight.

VERY DIFFICULT to clip in to these pedals !!

I am very disappointed in this product.

I have used these pedals on less than three rides.

I am primarily a mountain biker, and have used Time ATAC XS Carbons for years, so when I decided to put some real "roadie" pedals on my new ride, I went with the Times.

skygodmatt   Road Racer [Dec 10, 2009]
Strength:

Adjustable, light and feels great with a low stack height.

Cleats really suck. They break easy and are expensive. Also, not covered by warranty.

I bought these $200 pedals and thought they were great at first. Then, after only a month, my cleat snapped in half under normal riding. I went to my LBS and they said the cleats were not under warranty! Time also wanted $40 for a new pair.

I have never had a pair of cleats which snap in one month. Also, $40 for a plastic cleat that fails quickly is ridiculous.

If you are wealthy and love spending money on fragile bike parts then this pedal is for you.

Similar Products Used: Look, Speedplay, Shimano.
HigherGround   Recreational Rider [Nov 12, 2009]
Strength:

Good foot support.
Entry and exit is acceptable, even if they're not the easiest ones on the market.

The clip at the front of one pedal broke after about a year and a half of recreational use.

I have been using clipless pedals since the mid 80's. During that time, I have used pedals from Look (the original white models with a black catch plate, as used by LeMond), Time (the gray and red Crit pedals, and the red Equipe Mag pedals), and Speedplay Zeros. I spent approximately 15 years using the two previous models of Time pedals without any problems. They were always rock solid, if a bit heavy.

I was lured away to Speedplay due to their light weight, easy entry / exit, and lots of adjustable float. However I didn't like Speedplay's finicky cleats, and the pressure points on my feet. After some rides of 60 - 100 miles, my feet were sometimes so sore that it hurt to walk afterward. I ended up giving the used Speedplays to a friend who has been happy with them.

When I switched to the Time RXS Carbon pedals, I noticed the extra support immediately. I felt more stable while out of the saddle and I didn't have problems with my feet getting so sore on long rides. Initially I felt like I had made the right switch by going back to Time.

On my second or third ride, I had my first crash in about 10 years when my front wheel was taken out by a gap in the road. I couldn't get out of the left pedal quickly enough, and down I went. I might have gotten out quicker with the Speedplay pedals, it's hard to say. Afterward I inspected the pedal body carefully, and it did not appear to be damaged. For better or worse, my lower leg had taken the brunt of the impact.

I continued to use the pedals for another year and a half. That left pedal usually seemed a bit more difficult to enter and exit, even after replacing the cleats this past spring. The cleats were a pain to mount, as the back cam would interfere with accessing one of the bolts, but the pedals generally worked well enough that I wasn't interested in switching to another brand.

That is, until they broke last month. I don't know whether or not the crash contributed to the later failure, but the tip of the left pedal had broken off - just as many other people had said their's did. The pedals are still functional, but they will soon be replaced by a different brand with a metal body, such as Shimano or Campagnolo.

During the many years that I raced and crashed on metal pedals from Look and Time, I never once had a problem with the pedal bodies. It was always a case of installing them on the crank and forgetting about them. However to have the pedal break after less than two years of use, and after the one year warranty has expired, is rather disheartening.

Before I bought the pedals, I had read several reviews of both the Time RXS and Look Keo pedals breaking. I thought it wouldn't happen to me, since I'm not stressing my equipment as hard as when I used to race. Well, it did. Buyer beware.

Similar Products Used: Look (mid 80's model), Time Crit (gray metal body with red spring cover), Time Equipe Mag (red metal body with red spring cover), Speedplay Zeroes.
bigmig88   Road Racer [Dec 03, 2008]
Strength:

good size, easy to get into

Must be too weak. Breakage seems to happen and a quick search on google finds this has happend to lots of people

Cant say much but I love the performance, but after the pedal now snapped and wrecked the years target race, I am very very disapointed.

Similar Products Used: time impact mag, keo, durace etc.
kirkdarn   Road Racer [May 14, 2008]
Strength:

Light, Stiff, Super responsive, Great ground clearance, beautiful 'starwars' design to match contemporary bikes.

Takes a few weeks to completely get used to the cleating.

After buying my Cervelo I thought I'd top it off by buying some nice pedals. After studying and coming to either the Look or Time carbons I went with the Times purely for looks.

Couldn't be happier, after some getting used to the new cleating mechanism becomes second nature. Unlike some upgrades the result from these pedals is felt instantly. My first ride was up Sprinbrooke (An undulating 15-20km hill for those not in Australia), the response from these things is phenomenal. The best way to describe the sensation is feeling like your shoes are welded to the crank arm.
Defnitely the best upgrade I've ever purchased.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra
nico100   Recreational Rider [Jul 16, 2007]
Strength:

Light
Look good
Easy to walk short distances
Relatively easy to click in and out

Expensive cleats
Very poor cleat durability

The pedal/cleat system is a bit of a curate's egg. The pedals are great - light, relatively easy to click in and out(at least as easy as any single sided pedal), good adjustable float and look sexy. The cleats on the other hand are expensive and of very poor durability. In the six months I have had them the left foot cleat has broken off at the front where it slots into the pedal twice. The plastic is just not strong enough. Will I keep them? I don't know but am considering Look or Shimano in the hope they may last longer. They would be a super pedal if Time could find a stronger material for the front of the cleat.

Similar Products Used: SPD, Speedplay
CarbonFrame   Recreational Rider [May 28, 2007]
Strength:

Lite Weight. Adjustible Q Factor, Cool looking, (and hopefully the warranty)

2 mechanical problems in less than 1 year. Maybe this was just bad luck

These pedals were recommended by a friend(whose pedals broke after I bought mine,his pedals were replaced at no cost) I had Dura Ace Pedals which I had ridden for 2 1/2 years w/ ZERO problems. Initially I liked these pedals alot. Within 3 months of owning them there was a recall, so off they came and in for the recall. This spring I have clocked about 500 miles and one of the pedals broke, a large piece came off where the toe clips in. It did not prevent me from finishing my ride, but I am very disappointed. I turned them in for warranty and am waiting,(no bike over a nice 3 day holiday weekend). Maybe its just been bad luck but all I know is that I rode the D/A pedals for 2 1/2 years with not one problem.If I had it to do all over again, I am not so sure I would switch.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura Ace
UnkaDave   Recreational Rider [Apr 18, 2007]
Strength:

As stated, very secure, light, bombproof so far. (I did send them in for the recall Loc-Tite treatment as they were of that vintage)

Float could be more slippery, but that's my preference

The float is not slippery like my Coombe Pros (sniff, sniff), but OK. I've never clipped out, they're easy to get in to/out of, I would heartily endorse these pedals

Similar Products Used: Old Dura-Ace, Coombe Pros (and I miss them terribly)
ozroadie74   Recreational Rider [Mar 09, 2007]
Strength:

See previous review

See above

This is an update to my previous review as there have been some issues arise with these pedals. Firstly there is the recall to fix the problem of the pedal body coming loose from the bearing cap (no big deal, all they need to do is Loctite it), and secondly I have had the metal bar that protects the section of the pedal body behind the axle from the front of the metal part of the cleat fall out on one pedal and come loose on the other. When it comes out the pedal body gets damaged by the cleat and the engagement is not as secure. This seems to be a design flaw as the new 2006-7 versions have been modified. The bar now runs down from the 2 screws that hold it in towards the retention spring which should hold it in better. My bike shop is sending them to Time so we'll see what happens. Apart from this albeit significant problem, I like them, so I recommend if you by these pedals make sure you get the new version.