Time RXS Pedals

RXS

This is one set of replacement cleats and hardware for Time's RXS Pedals. These are identical to the cleats you get with a new set of RXS pedals, and they feature Time's awesome "Cafe" profiling, which means that when you walk into your local coffee shop for a mid-ride refreshment, you don't risk slipping and falling on the tile floor. You can walk with security -- something that doesn't sound like a big deal 'til you start walking around in the cleats of other pedal brands.Time RXS cleats are compatible both with Time RXS pedals and Time Impact pedals. They are NOT compatible with Iclic pedals.

Paul   Road Racer [Aug 01, 2011]
Strength:

Modified design over the original version
Durability of metal clasps rather than the iclic version
Solid feel to clip in and out of

None now that it's been modified
Time's R+D dept need to get their act together and stop releasing products that aren't fully fit for purpose and then let the customers test for the faults

Bought the original version of these pedals around 4 years ago and after 18 months the right hand pedal failed where the body cracked along the length of the pedal surrounding the axle. I subsequently bought the iclic version and I've totally hated the clipping in action. Plenty of forums commenting on this. My other problem is the iclic felt so loose on the foot compared to the rxs. It became so intolerable decided I needed to buy some new pedals iclic or the rxs as I never got on with the feel of Look pedals. Decided to plump for the rxs and they have completely modified the design of the pedal so I can see it should eliminate the risk of the pedal breaking. There is a thicker support bar underneath and the top platform extends across the width of the pedal much like the iclic. The clipping in is nice and solid and contrary to the iclic very consistent. The clamp and corresponding part on the shoe plate holding your foot in is made from metal so durability will be excellent unlike the iclic which relies on the material of the pedal to hold your foot in. My iclic looks quite rough after just 18 months.

Similar Products Used: iclic and previous version of rxs
Scott Landgraf   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2011]
Strength:

Simple click in/out; absolutely no maintenance needed; stable feel; like the "cafe cleat" for walking.

Hard to find them on sale.

My shop recommended Time RXS pedals when I bought my bike (I have the composite pedals). I'm completely satisfied and have just bought another pair for my old Cannondale (which had an old pair of Look pedals). Nothing wrong with the Looks, just didn't like having to switch shoes.

Similar Products Used: Look pedals.
Cobo   Triathlete [May 29, 2010]
Strength:

Cleats are easy to walk in and last a long time. Pedals are quiet, smooth, and reliable. Not hotspots and plenty of float for me.

Not the lightest pedal in the world, but I can't tell the difference in weight between these and pedals that are 60 g lighter (for the pair)

I can't believe all the mediocre / negative reviews about this pedal. I've had mine for 3 years, and put about 6000 miles (10000 km) on them without any issues or maintenance.

They clip in and out easily and securely. The cleats are hardly worn at all, although I don't walk around in them much. The cleats are very easy to walk in as well, which is great for me since I don't leave my shoes clipped into the pedals and need to run through the transition area with my shoes on.

Best of all, I get no hot spots with these pedals no matter how far I ride, unlike my Speedplay Zero's on my TT bike, which leave my feet burning after just 20 miles.

I have had zero problems: no noise, no nothing.

Similar Products Used: Speedplay Zero, Look
spectre-73   Road Racer [Apr 19, 2010]
Strength:

breaks, poor produce testing/quality control before releasing to the public. If my 72kg can break these pedals, how long would they last with a 100kg sprinter?

This review is for 2 year old rxs base model pedals(model before the First came out). The left pedal cracked in the middle of the around the axle circumference starting at the top.I replaced them with new First model pedals which now have a thicker section around the axle. Looks like it wasn't my 72kgs (160lb)that was the problem.

Similar Products Used: Time rxs carbon, Time magnesuim
zolo   Recreational Rider [Apr 06, 2010]
Strength:

light

small binding target

disappointed with these pedals, the fancy design is hard to clip into without looking

Similar Products Used: old ultegra pedals
PoweredByTuna   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2009]
Strength:

pedals are nice and light

the cleat to tall and are crap

road the pedals 3 times before cleat broke

Cammo   Recreational Rider [Jun 26, 2008]

I have been using time pedals road & mtb for many years now.
This model though are crap.
I have snapped 3 pedals now. two have gone by the front slide breaking off. One went by the whole composite body cracked lengthwise therefore bisecting the body.Only reason I keep using them is that I have spare cleats and even they are getting expensive and tend to fall apart with the the rubber stoppers breaking off. Not one of time's best !!!

skiierx   Recreational Rider [May 06, 2008]
Strength:

power transfer is good
light
nice looking

Composite pedal body broke within 100 miles...hopefully a fluke

I am just getting back into road riding (been mtn biking). I went to my 2 favorite LBS' and compared a couple of bikes, decided I would invest in a Specialized Roubaix Elite. Since they now come with plastic pedals I decided to bite the bullit and get some decent pedals/shoes. I have really enjoyed my Time ATAC mtn pedals and read up on the RXS models. Again, since I am getting back into this I wanted to make sure to get decent stuff but not go overboard. Therefore I went with the composite RXS model. I have logged just over 100 miles since my purchase and really like the pedal. They are easy to clip in/out of and for the most part seem like a good pedal for the money.

Well, went for a ride yesterday and when I went to step in I broke off the front part of the pedal (something I knew could happen but did not think would happen so quickly). I ended up finishing my ride as it did not affect my riding since I could still cleat in. After the ride I headed down to my LBS, explained what happened (the guy behind the counter did not seem suprised and said a few have come back that way). We spoke for awhile about replacements and instead of staying with the composite pedals I ended up upgrading to the carbon (since they are supposed to be stronger). Hopefully this is the right decision! I will update this after testing them for a couple of months.

Similar Products Used: mostly mtn pedals, Time Atac, speedplay frog and spd
dvdh   Road Racer [Jan 05, 2008]
Strength:

Nice feeling bearings
Long wearing cleats
Smooth but affirmative entry, easy exit
Decent weight

Red composite bodies scuff up easily . . . but that a pretty trivial complaint
Maybe a little pricey

I bought the RXS after about 3 months and reading reviews and asking users what they thought. The reviews in general left me a little concerned (breaking front pedal bodies), however I was unable to find a single person riding them who has actually seen this problem. Fullcycle owner, Phil, had not seen it either and recommended the pedal as I was looking for good float and reasonable light weight. So this review comes just after the 5000 km mark and so far no issues. The pedals are a little scuffed now (the red shows every mark), but the bearing still feel great, the cleats are holding out very well, no pedal noise, and I have had no unexpected releases. Oh, and they have been great on the knees.

Similar Products Used: Crank Quattro (doesn't release as nice as other Crank pedals.
Look Keo (didn't like the float feeling)
Wellgo R3 (not in the same league)
Mark Stewart   Triathlete [May 17, 2007]
Strength:

Good float, easy in and out, light

Common failure of the pedal at the front cleat retainer - and all this after an earlier prodcut recall on the bearings. NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE from a product quality perspective

I was seduced onto the Time RXS pedals by some good reviews. However after buying the pedals when they were on offer I only then got 9 rides out of them when my summer bike came out before the front corner of the pedal broke away where the cleat is retained. An internet search revealed this to be a commonly reported problem. I am currently trying to sort this with the retailer after returning to tried and tested robust Shimano pedals - namely the new 6620