Wellgo WAM-R1 Pedals

Wellgo WAM-R1 Pedals

Modeled after the one of most popular clipless road pedal designs, this look style pedal features a...

[Aug 01, 2007]
csiga papa

Strength:

Light, strong, stable, nice.

One time the hook latched open after an emergency quick disengage. Because of the double spring system. It was hard to push it back by thumb.

Average to engage and to disengage.

Shimano 105

[Jun 18, 2007]
Dylan

Strength:

secure entry and release, fairly light weight. Big platform, no hot spots. float.

do not spin aas freely as other pedals. cleats wear fast.

I am not sure why most people have had trouble with these pedals. They work well and are not at all dangerous. They are harder to disengage from than most other pedals I have had, but I find this to be more secure than pedals that release easily. They make a nice popping sound when cliping in or out, and are a great value for the price (usually free). They do not spin as freely as some more expensive pedals but are an excellent value.

shimano SPD, crank brothers

[Apr 23, 2007]
Mitch Sapp

Strength:

Light in titanium version

Unsafe difficult to unclip

This pedal is dangerous and should be recalled. I have difficulty removing the pedal on the lowest setting - even with the setting screw all the way out. Cleats are heavily worn after only 200 miles.

Look, Time, Shimano SPD

[Jul 14, 2006]
ecsery

Strength:

Cheaper and lighter than most Look pedals. Two pr. cleats per set, and even the black ones allow a bit of float.

Not as well designed or made as Looks. Not very durable. Infrequent, but annoying, accidental releases.

These aren't as good as Looks, but they're lighter--especially the magnesium-body version--and cheaper. The cleats aren't quite the same as Look; the provided ones don't fit Look pedals at all, and Look cleats will clip in, but don't release easily. Using the supplied cleats, I've had few problems with three pairs of these used on various bikes. When worn a bit, the cleats get harder to release, but keeping a thin film of grease in the cutout (non-Look) section of the latch is helpful. Unfortunately, the cleats wear down faster that Look's cleats, and then the bolts start carving into the pedal body. No failures so far in any of the pedals, but the bearings typically start out a bit tight and then get to be a bit loose; all of mine are at least slightly loose now (10,000 combined miles). I'm no longer using these on my main bike.

Look "Carbon" or "Carbo Pro" pedals--an older model that's heavier, but solid and reliable. Also various platform pedals with clips: Shimano 600 and 105, old Campy copies.

[Jan 23, 2006]
shabbasuraj

Strength:

Cheap

Colour matches my crank.

I do not know why the other reviewers had such bad experiences with the R1's. I have no issue getting in and out of the pedals. The tension may be somewhat tricky to set initially, but after that I have had no problems with these things. Used them for 6 months and still no problem with either the delta cleat or the mechanism in general.

Many models of actual Look pedals.

[May 03, 2005]
JKE806

Strength:

Don't use these pedals even if they are free!!!

I completely agree with the other reviews of this pedal. These have to be the worst pedals ever made. Wellgo essentially pirated LOOK's pedal design and made a cheap and grossly inferior product. Even with the pedals adjusted to the lowest setting for disengaging the cleats it is still VERY difficult to clip out. The cleat design is horrible. Just when you think that you have clipped out, it is still engaged and requires a serious outward thrust with your ankle to get unclipped. I used them on a dozen rides and I thought that maybe they required a breakin period but clipping out didn't get any easier. It's an awful product and if the pedals didn't come as a freebie with the bike I would be fuming mad with the LBS. And actually I still am. So the best way I can summarize these pedals is: They are crap and don't use them even if they are free!!

Shimano SPDs, Speedplay X2

[Oct 27, 2004]
Dave_Stohler

Strength:

None at all. Wothless piece of Chinese trash.

DANGEROUS!!! Absolutely the most unsafe pedal made. You will break your ankle if you wreck with this pedal. Will break on you with no woarning!!

I reviewed this pedal about 4 years ago, but my review mysteriously disappeared along with all the others, so here I go again... I bought this pedal, put it on my bike, and it was the worst piece of cr@p I've ever used. Not only does it nearly break your ankle every time you try to unclip (even on the lowest setting), but it is poorly built and it broke on only the 3rd ride! After being told I couldn't get a refund (left it sitting for 2 months before I installed it, so they wouldn't refund-thanks Nashbar!!), I tore the thing apart and found just how cheaply made it really was. There is only 1 bearing race on it!! The inside rides on nothing more than a nylon sleeve?? WTF! This pedal is not only cheap, it is DANGEROUS. The bear-trap release mechanism will never work properly for you. For only $20 more, you can get a real pedal. Don't waste your money on this piece of Chinese trash. BTW, this exact same pedal is sold as a Wellgo, the Nashbar brand, and Performance's Forte brand. All are the same, and should be avoided at all cost!!! I'd rate this pedal a perfect "zero" if that were possible. (I wonder how long this review will last?)

Look-3 different models from the original to new versions

[Oct 22, 2004]
LWilk

Strength:

Low price, but they are cheap for a reason. I wrote to Pricepoint and requested they stop selling this dangerous product. I also got on the website for the Consumer Product Safety Commission and filed a report. I asked for a product recall.

Cannot unclip, which causes serious safety issues.

The Wellgo R1 pedal is tatally unsatisfactory. In fact, some might categorize it as dangerous. I could not unclip even though I set the tension on the lowest setting and practised clipping in and out for 15 minutes while holdig onto a post. I fell over three times, even while coasting for 50 yards trying to unclip. On one occassion, I had the alternative of bailing out by falling over onto concrete or coast into oncoming traffic. In a panic, I choose the former. Pricepoint was not particularly helpfull, either. They initially recommended the Wellgo R1, which is based on the Look design but poorly executed, over some SPD alternatives. In addition to the poor initial advise, Pricepoint customer service was unrseponsive to my letter. Eventually, they agreed to provide a store credit, but I question why I would use it.

Shimano 520 SPD pedals, purchased from my LBS. The 520s are very good. Easy to unclip. Safety is not a problem as it was with the Wellgo R1.