Kestrel EMS Forks

Kestrel EMS Forks

Materials: Enhanced Modulus Carbon CrMo Steerer Monocoque Aerodynamic Sizes: 138 155 175 193 221 244 270 310 (unthreaded)

[Apr 17, 2003]
Lito

Strength:

Great price. It dampens a little better than my steel fork.

Not a significant increase in comfort or performance.

The Kestrel EMS fork dampens vibration nicely during long descents. Given that I have a 650 C wheel setup, I don't believe you get the dampening you would with a conventional 700C tire. It didn't lighten the bike significantly nor change the handling. I read about all these folks who found religion riding carbon fiber forks - it cures back aches, neck aches, arm aches, blindness, whatever. But it didn't do that for me. It was a very subtle changes.

[Apr 29, 2002]
Nessism

Strength:

Stiff fork for agressive riding. Great for the heavy riders out there.

Ride is fairly choppy for lightweights.

Solid reliable fork. Great value these days as they are available for mid/low $100''s these days.

Time Equipe

[Feb 26, 2002]
Fender

Strength:

Looks, reduced road vibration, cornering, company knows what its doing!

not the lightest thing out there

I bought this fork as an up grade on my old school steel Ciocc. Although I did not feel much of a difference in the weight, I do feel a lot more comfortable on rides. It carves corners with laser like precision, reduces road vibration and does not flex when sprinting in the final 200m or on climbs. As I previously mentioned, although its not the lightest one in the market, theres no real reason to shell out $300+ on a full carbon fork unless your a cat 1 racer.

steel, aluminium, graphite

[Jan 09, 2002]
lverma

Strength:

Nifty looks, good vibration dampening

Not as latterally stiff, loss of raod feel.

I had high expectations for this fork when i exchanged it from the generic aluminum that came on my softide. TO be honest there was additional vibration dampening but also a loss if road feel. In addition I didnt think it had the lateral stiffest the kinesis aluminum did. I went back to trusty aluminum and liked it better

Kinesis aluminum

[Jul 03, 2001]
David Finney

Strength:

Shaved over a half pound off of my steel fork. Does actually take some of the bang out of bumps in the road. This is my first carbon fork

I think this was a nice upgrade to the steel fork I origianlly had on this bike. Its not a night and day difference in feel but I notice a little less bump on the smaller hits.

I opted for something with an aluminum steerer versus carbon because I am a bigger rider and I plan on owning this bike for several years or more. I'm still not convinced that carbon steerers will give me that kind of longevity and safety. That's a tough spot to have a failure.

I give it a higher value rating because I didn't pay full price. I don't give it the highest overall rating because I have no other carbon forks to compare it to although I would reccommend it highly.

None, always had a steel fork on my road bikes (and some mountain bikes)

[Jun 22, 2001]
Scott

Strength:

Amazing! I had my aluminum fork before and felt like my headset was loose coming downhill, plus I kept getting road chatter up in to my hands... The Kestrel took care of it all.

none I've found...

This fork rocks, for the money it's probably some of the best money, besides wheels, you could spend on your bike for comfort and performance.

Aluminum and steel forks...

[Apr 05, 2000]
Dave

Strength:

good ride, absorbs road chatter, fairly light (compared to steel), sharp looking, reliable (so far)

somewhat expensive, bike steering and ride not quite as precise as a high quality steel fork

Although expensive, I feel that the fork has been worth the cost. I lightened up my bike while improving some characteristics of its ride. The bike is more comfortable but I think that the handling is slightly less precise than what I had with the Moser steel fork. Nothing serious, just not quite as crisp and stiff. I would highly recommend the fork to anyone considering adding a carbon fork to their ride. IMHO, the increased comfort is worth the very slight loss in steering precision one will experience relative to a quality steel fork.

Serotta, ParkPre, Paramount, Colnago, Moser, Tommasini steel forks

[Apr 22, 2000]
danK

Strength:

lateral rigidity
durability

tight tire clearance

I consider this fork the standard by which I compare my other forks and fork purchases to.
I can't think of any weaknesses besides maybe tight tire clearance.
I used the threaded steel steerer model and am interested in the new EMS Pro.
I'd have to say it's one of my favorite forks of all time. And the price has come down as of late; I've seen it for about $199 NEW.
This fork works so well that it's almost not exciting compared to the 350g carbon threadless forks.

Time Equipe Pro, LOOK LDS, Slice, Wound Up

[Apr 16, 2000]
SteveS

Strength:

Comfortable and stiff enough

Maybe a little heavier than the competition

This is a very nice fork and I think it really improved the ride of the Spanky. It is smooth riding and stiff enough for my purposes. There is no real complaint against the Kestrel, but the newer forks like the Look LDS Pro were also threaded and lighter than the EMS. The Reynolds Ouzo Pro was a better riding fork than the Kestrel and was threadless. If Kestrel updates this model, it will be more competitive to some of the lighter current models. Still an excellent fork.

Icon, Look LDS Pro, Reynolds Ouzo Pro

[Apr 27, 2000]
Larry

Strength:

Is Strong and rigid, good shock absorbsion while still giving the lateral control for high speed cornering. Aerodynamic design probally works, but who has a wind tunnel to really know? Has the cool look of the carbon weave visible through the plastic.

It is a little heavy and thick. Is hard to mount the magnetic sensor for your bike computer due to the thickness. It is best to use mounting hardware for a off road suspention shock.

The only time it really makes a difference is when taking a corner way too fast for comfort. This is where the fork gives you the stiffness and confidence for staying off the brakes and keeping you going exactly where you want to go. The shock absorbing properties of the carbon fiber is hard to tell on a stiff alluminum frame, but small vibrations of the road are somewhat muted. Large potholes and bumps still give you the same jolt as any road fork. Buy this fork if you are brave about taking high speed corners or just like the cool look of the carbon fiber weave.

Plain old chrome molly fork