Look HSC-3 Curved Aero Blade Threadless All Carbon Forks

Look HSC-3 Curved Aero Blade Threadless All Carbon Forks

This carbon threadless fork is built with a carbon steerer for handling, strength and light weight. One of the most laterally rigid forks on the market. 40 or 45mm rake.

[Jun 19, 2008]
eric wertheim

Strength:

As an upgrade, it improved handling and overall ride-quality; Light; Excellent finish and cosmetics, obvious high-quality construction

Hard to find in a 43mm-rake

This review is for the standard fork (not aero). Very light, around 380 grams; Improved steering and handling, made the front of the bike seem much lighter and smoother-riding. Also made the bike feel more nimble.

Ouzo Pro (similar characteristics and quality); Cannondale Synapse (nice steering but rides a bit harsh)

[Jan 17, 2005]
Wines of WA

Strength:

Durable, good vibration damping.

Vague handling, especially in corners. Slight shimmy when you take one hand off the bars. Front brake pads rub when you put the gas down.

Seems like most review of virtually all carbon forks say that a fork is stiff and improves handling, including revies of this Look fork. I guess that depends on other forks you've used. I had this fork on my training and backup race bike for 3 years and many thousands of miles, and just replaced it with an Ouzo Pro Peloton. I always suspected that the wiggle in my front end was caused by the Look HSC 3, and now I know that was in fact rue. This fork is fine in terms of durability and damping, but is simply not up to par with the Reynolds Pro Peloton in terms of stiffness (see my review of that fork). I recently quit racing. I sued to hate using my backup bike with the Look fork in races because it drifted in corners and would shimmy slightly if you took one hand off the bars. When standing to sprint out of a corner, the front brake pads would rub on the rim. Not good. If you want a fork that handles speed well, look elsewhere.

Reynolds Ouzo Pro Peloton, Reynolds Ouzo Pro, Steelman steel fork, Merckx OEM fork made by AME (all better than the Look except the steel fork).

[Jul 22, 2004]
zep-rider

Strength:

strength vs. weight ratio, ride characteristics

none so far

I've only had this fork on my bike for only a few months, but so far I'm quite satisfied with it. It rides well with good lateral stiffness. I probably dropped a half pound off the front of my bike when I put this fork on it.

Kestrel, Time

[Jan 18, 2004]
MTCC

Strength:

Comfort! in a straight line it smoothes everything out. It also feels very secure in turns.

The stickers can be rather loud. They should try black decals with a white outline to tone things down.

At first I thought this post was too flexy on my GIOS, so I swapped it out for a TIME with a Steel steerer and aluminum crown. it beat me senseless (actually numbed my hands). I ran right back to this fork and it magically feels mighty fine now! I just put one on my Seven Ti!

Wound- Up with al. lined carbon steerer, LOOK LDS, Time ( Hated It!)

[Jun 16, 2003]
jt

Strength:

weight, ride characteristics. stiff enough for me - 150lbs.

none, other than getting the expander plug sleeve to stay in place was a pain.

Wow what a difference. This is my first carbon fork, only the second one I have ridden. I was looking for one to drop some weight and smooth out the ride. For the price I paid I could have barely gotten an entry level fork but this fork was used and I installed it myself.

air rail - trek.

[Apr 06, 2003]
MTCC

Strength:

Extremely comfortable when ridden seated. Very attractive(Chic)! one might say.

Don't stand up to climb or sprint on this baby!

I've ridden the Look HSC3 fork now for a month and must say at 165 lbs. I flex this fork every time I get out of the saddle. It flexes enough that I have to open up my Dura-Ace brake a bit not to hear the annoying brake rub. I must say that it is extremely comfortable and seems to corner well so far. I am yet to hang it all out on a descent yet.

Look LDS2 Wound w/ aluminum reinforced carbon steerer

[Nov 25, 2002]
farcinue

Strength:

Very light weight. Stiff, absorbs shock well.

Too many decals! A plain, black fork would be nice.

I have the 1 and 1/8 version, and the fork feels great. There isn't any flex when sprinting or going up hills (I only way 145lbs). Will let you know if there are any durability or longevity issues.

[Oct 11, 2002]
Brendan Weir

Strength:

Ride Handling Weight Cost

Brake bolt hole is excessively recessed requiring shortening of the the brake pivot bolt for a correct fit. Idiot tabs are about the biggest I've ever seen. Look graphics aren't the best and spoil the line of what is otherwise a rather beautiful fork.

Never ridden a road fork that felt better. More absorbent & stiffer than original Klein carbon fork. Scarily light but appears very solidly built, no shortage of material around the steerer column. Also looks great and compliments the bike. I weigh over 200lbs and cannot detect any of the flex reported in early reviews. They are certainly more compliant vertically than the Klein forks were whilst feeling considerably stiffer laterally. Doesn't appear to have made any dramatic difference to the geometry of the front end. Feels sharper in tight bends with no loss of stability at speed. One measure of flex is usually side to rim rubbing aganst the brake blocks when hammering out of the saddle. This effect is noticeably reduced when compared to the Klein forks

Klein Carbon fork

[Aug 16, 2002]
jbreamsiii

Strength:

This fork is extremely rigid. I'm a 265 lb pedal masher and can be rather hard on a bike. It is extremely stiff in the corners and downhills. Does not Flex at all as others have commented. And I do put a lot of torque when climbing. One thing that may have helped is I have a Ritchey Pro Stem. This stem is designed for a carbon steerer. It has a diagonal cut instead of the straight up and down opening. It has not slipped on me one time. This fork also has really smoothed out the rough roads on my extremely stiff bike. I would hightly reccomend it.

NONE

I've been looking for a carbon fork to put on my 94 Cannondale R900 for a while. I really liked the appearance of the LOOK HSC 3. I chose between it and the Reynolds Ouzo Pro based on mainly on price.

[Dec 06, 2001]
Mark

Strength:

light, strong, great looking

I really like this fork. It is plenty stiff, and is incredibly comfortable. In corners it handles great. When I break hard, the control in precise. I would sugest this fork for anyone.

Vitus