Performance Forte Allegro Forks

Performance Forte Allegro Forks

Reduce weight, increase comfort and control. The carbon blades provide superior vibration damping at the same time they improve lateral rigidity, and the aerodynamic shape lowers your profile in the wind. By going threadless, you’ll reduce weight, as well as improve power and handling via the better contact between the stem and steer tube. Carbon blades, chromoly steer tube. 1" diameter. Wt (cut for most frame sizes): 400g.

[Jun 11, 2007]
Jose Pena

Strength:

The fork really helps smooth out the ride and has reduced the bike's weight by about a pound and a half. I can feel the difference when I'm climbing up my favorite hill.

None really, I've gotten my money's worth by upgrading to this fork. I use the bike for everyday training and have never had a problem with the fork or with the other Performance products that I have installed on this bike.

This review is for the '05 Axis Pro. After several years during which I did no riding, I decided to get back into it. To do this, I decided to upgrade my '92 Trek 1400. To start off, initially I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, so I settled on this fork, as well as a Performance carbon stem and a Performance carbon handlebar. The resulting change in components took about a pound and a half off the weight of the bike and made a load of difference in the comfort and handling of the bike, especially up hills. I've had no problems whatsoever with any of the upgraded components. I'm 175 pounds. I've had this setup on my bike for about 3 years and have used it on the MS 150 Bike Ride, along with other long-distance rides.

[Nov 26, 2004]
jasg

Strength:

Reasonable weight; price; aero blades

Weight could be lower; some may wish a carbon steerer (not me)

This is for the Axis 1 1/8 steerer with alloy steerer. I put this on a custom Ti frame and it's been just fine. Weight is reasonable for its price, and the alloy steerer is durable. Looks nice now that I've covered up the orange with electrical tape. Rake of 40mm makes the handling a little less stable thatn a less straight fork.

Other budget (<$80) carbon forks. All seem equal to me.

[Oct 04, 2004]
ckilner

Strength:

Very light for the price. Good combination of rigidity and comfort. Good aerodynamics. Nice carbon weave finish.

Large (ugly) yellow graphics.

This review is for the '04 Forte Axis Pro, which is the threadless full carbon fork with raked aero blades (369g). I installed the fork on my steel road bike to replace the harsh straight-blade threaded aluminum fork it came with (which was giving me numb hands on long rides). The light fork and threadless stem (also Forte') took a pound off the bike. The fork is rigid (like a well-made CrMo fork) in sprints and climbs, but has substantially more compliance over rough roads. Almost all road buzz is absorbed by the fork (and Cane Creek S2 headset)and big hits, although still felt, have less harshness. Tracking in turns is excellent.

Waterford CroMo fork, Giant carbon, Time Club fork.

[May 12, 2002]
AshburnJim

Strength:

Value, Stiffness, vibration damping

It might be time to update the design just a bit to give the legs of the fork a bit of a curve or further sculpting to further reduce road buzz. Could be just a bit lighter.

A great value. This fork really improved the bikes handling and chopped nearly a pound off versus the stock Bianchi steel fork and quill stem when teamed with a new stem and headset. The fork is stiff but reduces road harshness. I would find it hard to justify spending twice as much more for the next best competitor. Bought it in combination with the Cane Creek S-2 headset and Performance Forte Stem. All-in-all a great set up. Much easier to adjust, stiffer, and lighter. Installed it all my self with a bit of fussing on pressing the new headset cups in.

[Dec 04, 2001]
JOE

Strength:

Carbon at a great price.

Stiff but absorbs the right amount of road shock.

Profile, Icon, Kenesis

[Jul 15, 2001]
Keith

Strength:

Price point is hard to beat - better construction than I expected for the dollar

None, thus far.

The super-harsh ride from the 7005 frame and the stock cro-mo fork were my ability to enjoy anything over 3 hours in the saddle - headaches were the norm. In stock trim, the Passage is a jaw-rattler - but what did I expect for the price I paid for the complete bike when new? I have performed numerous upgrades to the bike, replacing much of the drivetrain and peripherals, but this fork is by far the best upgrade I have invested in to date. Upon receiving from Performance, the finish and quality were obvious - very well made for the price, moreso than I had expected. With the swap to threadless, the front-end weight savings were amazing compared to stock, and the ride is much more tolerable now: centuries and longer have been headache-free. Markedly stiffer, laterally, than the stock fork - handling has improved: more 'flickable' in the corners now, and when hammering out of the saddle, the brakepads don't magically manage to whisk the wheels like before -- very nice. All else being equal, I imagine the flexy stock fork was allowing this to happen before.
I imagine the $350 for an Ouzo Pro, or Look product, is well worth the additional benefits of their construction technique, but for my money this is an excellent buy, and a perfect upgrade for any lower-echelon road bike.

First carbon fork owned.

[Mar 26, 2001]
Steve Peterson

Strength:

Value Better ride than aluminum

clear coat chips

This is a good value for the money. I was not ready to shell out 300 plus dollars because all my friends said to,so i thought that i would try this out, and i have absoulutely 0 complaints about this other than the chipped clear and that came from letting a chainstay bang on the rack.

wound up

[Apr 24, 2001]
Bill Graham

Strength:

Weight, cost, return policy if needed.

Maybe a little too stiff. Weakness to some, benefit to others.

A stiff, easily returnable, straight blade, 400g carbon fork with a steel steerer is what was appropriate for me. They are regularly on sale for under $100.00. Might be a little too stiff, or my arms may be, not sure. Great fork regardless of price point.

LOOK, CODA, Profile, Time.

[Jul 09, 2001]
Andy Winn

Strength:

Sborbs road noise very well.

none yet

I bought my aluminum Trek to get back into riding after 10 years off the bike. I like the bike but the ride was incredibly rough. Since I didn't want to spend much on an entry level bike, the upgrade package that Performance offers on its house brand carbon forks was perfect. Between this and a titanium seatpost, my ride is much better. Definitely the way to go to lighten your less expensive bike and smooth out the road. I've always been impressed by Performance's products...