Airborne Zeppelin Frames

• 3AL/2.5V aerospace grade titanium tubing
  • Custom drawn, seamless, 100% cold worked tubing
  • 40mm aero down tube
  • 31.8mm extended seat tube with double butted insert
  • 31.8mm ovalized and sloping top tube (sizes: 43,50,54,56,58)
  • 34.9mm ovalized sloping top tube (sizes: 60, 63)
  • Front derailleur: 31.8mm clamp on
  • Water bottle bosses on down tube and seat tube
  • Titanium seat stay chain hanger
  • 22.2mm tapered chain stay with "S" bend
  • 7mm thick titanium road drop outs
  • Standard shifter boss on down tube with head tube cable guides
  • Accepts 27.2mm seat post
  • Hand polished finish

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 14, 2017]
    Ernest

Strength:

This is the best bike I’ve ever owned. I have 4 bikes, including classic Trek Waterloo steel frame, Ti tandem, and fat tire carbon Framed Alaskan. Seems some guys got bad luck and received defective frame. Mine wasn’t one of those. The frame design with excellent Ti alloy, ovalized tubes, long top tube, and curved stays makes this no longer made bike one of the best all time Ti bikes ever made.

Clamp on front Derailleur, seat tube water bottle mount hold slightly high, narrow clearances for tire sizes makes this a day trip road race not touring or cyclocross machine.

If you can find one without the cracked seat tube BUY IT

[Jun 18, 2015]
    Victor

Strength:

Lasted a season.

Frame cracked at seat tube - top tube joint. Bummer.

Kinda bummed out. Seems another reviewer had same problem with crack in same place. Double bummer.

[Jun 12, 2006]
    dpierce

Strength:

Good looking. Price. Geometry.

Not a fast bike for me. 40mph is about all I can stand. Large and/or fast riders beware!

Well, I've had the bike all winter but the snow only went away recently. I have 500 miles on it now. I'm 6'5" and 230lbs and needed a large (61cm) frame. The long top tube has taken a little getting used to, but small seat adjustments have improved the feel. It took me some time to figure out what was going on, but the rear triangle IS wobbly (as other reviews have said, maybe it's just with us large riders) Never felt it on any other bike. Only wobbles at speed, which can be terrifying!
    For a recreational rider it's a very attractive bike and a smooth ride. I love the look and feel of it. It's slower than my aluminum k2 frame, but I guess I don't mind the trade of speed for the smooth ride. It's hard to imagine riding anything other than Ti in the future.

Nothing titanium.
    K2 MOD4, Specialize Allez Comp.

[May 03, 2004]
    cabbage

Strength:

Ride quality, price compared ti other ti frames, customer support, goemetry, looks of bare metal and frame details such as drop-outs, all round abitilty and long term durability

I'm not keen on to many stickers especially those of the gimmickey variety which have since been removed. Not as stiff as SOME carbon and alloy frames or as light(who cares?) Plain gauge tubes?

I was sick of being jarred by alu so I stretched out to ti instead of taking the cheaper option and getting another alu frame. I looked at litespeeds but they were far to pricey so I settled on an airborne. I was put of by the weight and the fact that the tubes were plain gauge, but being a tall rider I had to choose a frame available in a large size. Ti is known to be a complient material and I was worried that it might feel floppy. I could have gone for carbon but but I wanted a compromise frame that I could go for long rides on, do my favorite scenic bumpy back road routes and also race. I'm pleased to say that the frame has met my expectations and seems to be a wise choice that will outlast any alloy/steel/carbon frame. The toptube is slightley longer than most but provides an aerodynamic stretched out position which is comfortable partly due to the frames absorbtion properties. In my opinion the frame seems as thought it has about 10mm of travel, but dosn't seem to flex noticabley out of the saddle and is stiff in the front triangle seemingley with good geometry allowing confident decending and turning at speed. The ride is so good that I find myself taking lines through broken tarmac and small potholes that would have seen me swerving to avoid them or reaching for the brakes on my old frame, the difference really is that great. The airborne customer support on-line is worth mentioning, getting questions anwsered my the company founder with his in depth knowledge of cycle engineering is somthing I doubt other manufacturers can offer. Even for a race only frame the zeppelin could cut the mustard and especially so if you want a do it all frame. £945 with forks and headset.

None in ti Ribble cycles deda scandium frame in 60cm(death trap on wheels with coke can tubing and handling), mirage 9sp. Quite a few alloy mountain bikes.

[Aug 21, 2003]
    Eric

Strength:

Smooth ride very light wonderful staff - It was so easy to order and customize over the phone...when i got it one of the tires had a tiny slit in it (probably from a staple) which blew my tire when i filled it to 120. i called airborne and they overnighted me a new carbon comp no questions asked. very impressive!!

none really - pay close attention to the geometry!

I rode this bike almost every day this past summer for about 50 miles. It has to be the most comfy ride I have ever had. It looks real slick (especialy w/ the carbon brakes) and it's TI!!

cannondale

[May 05, 2003]
    rfoster

Strength:

Low priced titanium frame

frame cracked at the seat post top tube weld. Probably poor anealing during mfg. So far, Airborne has not honored the warranty(ie, claimed a lifetime warranty on manufacturing defects.)

Bike went together with Campy record and look fork. Worked great and rode good.

Merlin, Colnago CT1

[Sep 02, 2002]
    Kris

Strength:

Warrantee program. Customer service. Customization. Value.

More options are needed in customization. For instance, there was only one option in the crank length and cassette I wanted. Pedals of some sort should be standard. More pedal and saddle options needed -- why only 2 women's saddles? Top tube is too long. Staff are boy racers, and spec reflects this on all bikes, even their touring and comfort bikes.

Once you've tried titanium, there's no going back to harsh aluminum, delicate carbon fiber or heavy, rust-prone steel. This bike is thoughtfully designed, comfortable, handles great and is a wonderful bargain. Customer service is better than at most bike shops. Bike is plenty stiff, yet compliant. The bike arrives nearly assembled. It took me about 10 minutes to be ready to ride. The graphics are really nice too -- retro. Weld quality looks great. Note their warrantee program: you can actually transfer the warrantee to the new owner if you sell it. They inspect the bike and reissue the warrantee. If the frame doesn't pass inspection, they give you a new one and pay to have the components transferred! If you crash it, they give you 50% off a new frame! I've never heard of any manufacturer standing behind a bike to this extent.

Cannondale R500, Miyata, Bianchi, Trek Carbon Fiber Road Bike.

[Dec 28, 2001]
    bear

Strength:

TI, TI TI so there. is very confy compare to my alum bikes.

maybe a little flexy but for recreation is fine with is what I got for.Boring color and is like is has no soul.

Is a great deal, had some problems with the wheeles. and sizing was a bit to big for me, but I dont think the smaller would fit perfect either. I a confy bike and maybe a bit flexy for me caming form alum,it should last forever, most likely have it painted,,I am bit bore with the look, I keep changing bar tape to keep me amuse.

alum trek and alum spicer

[Apr 13, 2000]
    Doug

Strength:

Stiff, great ride characteristics and handling, nice finish and welds, I love the sizing approach, great price, outstanding service and support.

You don't get to test ride (sold using e-commerce), but the tech support and sales staff are very helpful
    May not have the "high zoot" factor of other "high end" Ti manufacturers

Wow, what a terrific bike! I had a few reservations when I first started to research road frames. I don't race, and don't plan to. Thus, I wanted something that would take the sting off of long miles in the saddle. I chose Ti over Al. due to the fact that my Cannondale was beating me up.
    Airborne has a 10 day return policy, so I took a chance. I'm 6'2, 220lbs. and all torso. Because of this, most "traditional geometry" frames don't fit me. Being that I only have a 32" inseam, I needed better standover and a longer top tube than most manufacturers could offer. After contemplating a custom frame, I was happy to hear that Airborne offered the Zep in my dimensions (in Ti, no less.)
    About the ride; the bike sprints and climbs very well. Even more important to me is the way the rear triangle is so plush. Some times I check my rear tire at stoplights to see if it is losing air, it is that comfy in the rear! I love logging the miles, and equally love the questions and looks my bike receives. Most everyone likes a beautiful bike, and my Ti and black color combination makes for a real head turner. I let a buddy ride it the other day, and he stated that he likes the ride as well as his Ibis Sonoma. Not bad for a sub-$1000 frame! I would highly recommend this frame, the bike is a terrific value and the service is hard to beat at any price point! I'm looking forward to future offers from Airborne.

Cannondale r900 road

[May 31, 2000]
    Sam Hollis

Strength:

Quality Built Ti, Great Aero Style, & Not so Ti Price tag

Longish Top Tube, I had to spend a little time tweaking the stem & saddle combo.

Rides almost as smooth as my dual susp mnt bike. Like the previous guy, I've had to stop to see if I had a flat. For the price of a High End Alu bike I've got a smooth as silk Ti rig. Casual glancers look at the aero down tube & think its a Litespeed.

C'dale