Canyon Ultimate CF Frames

• Headset: FSA Orbit No. 43
  • Stem: Syntace F99

[Apr 09, 2014]
Dan Hamilton

Strength:

There are no strengths because their customer service is so bad I can't get a hold of anyone that can give me answers about their bikes

Customer service. I have sent 3 email messages asking questions and have recieved 0 responses. I have called and spoken to agents that gave me a yes regarding using a VAT form [US Army, stationed about 2.5 hours from their factory], gone is person and told no, I can't use a VAT form, then told by Customer agent that I could use it. After submitting an order, no response. Nothing. So, I have no VAT form [you must buy them from tak ofice on base] and apparently no bike. But, I sleep well knowing my CC company will reject their claim for payment on a phantom bike that I don't have because they are too incompetent to return emails and give basic answers to simple questions. I'm hoping the US Army Europe will put them on the banned establishment list. Really nice looking and performing bikes. Really bad way to do business!!

Terrible customer service and poorly run company. They may be experiencing growing pains and I could forgive a couple of issues but they seem to have ongoing, numerous issues with simple problems. Will recommend to every US service person to stay away.

[Jun 22, 2012]
Sunny

Strength:

Stiffness, control, price

uncomfortable, non-traditional sizing

this is my third full carbon frame that I'm using at the moment. it's the stiffest and well controlled bike I've ever ridden. to me, everything seems compatible, not absolute: in terms of riding quality. it's the stiffest frame, but to me, it's too stiff. after 60-70 miles (100-120 km), i feel like i am beat up compared to other full-carbon frames that I've used before (giant tcr advanced, bianchi XL carbon). imo, cannondale systemsix was the closest to match when it comes down to stiffness.

px is competitive when its on sale. it's a superb racing frame. the only reason i gave the highest ratings is that this frame might be too much for me to handle.

[Jul 28, 2010]
TimoH

Strength:

Overall quality.
Stiffness of both BB and front combined with quite high level of comfort.
Very precise cornering.
Degree of stability in descends.

"Non-standard" sizing of the stem.

I bought the Ultimate CF evo frame to upgrade from Planet X SL Pro Carbon. The bike has the Ultegra 6700 groupset and Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels.

There's nothing wrong with the bike. It is both an incredible climber and a descender. The frame transmits any power you can generate right to the tarmac. The steering is highly accurate. You can trust the bike in all situations, regardless of the speed.

NOTE: Be careful with the sizing! The Canyon "perfect positioning system" takes into account only the inseam length. That may provide wrong results if you have e.g. a relatively short torso & long legs.

Planet X SL pro carbon, Bianchi 1885 Veloce

[Jun 07, 2010]
James Bainbridge

Anyone got a 60cm Canyon CF SLX? Just ordered one and want to know how it sizes up. I'm 6'2" with a 90cm inseem. Not sure If i should go for a 58cm. Currently riding a Specialized Tarmac S Works 2007. Measuring up I would not need any spacers on the 60 cm compared to my tarmac.

Decisions, Decisions.

[Feb 22, 2010]
stefan

Strength:

Stiff, responsive, light. Great during climbs and sprints. Looks fantastic.

I bought the Canyon as an upgrade from my 2010 OPERA Canova which is an excellent bike but a little on the heavy side.
The Canyon impressed me with the looks, the weight (7.3kg altogether) and the handling. Especially the front part with the enforced head tube is incredibly stiff. The also very stiff BB and chain stays make the bike very very responsive in acceleration and during climbs. It literally flies uphill and feels great when you're out of the saddle.

In terms of comfort the Canyon is not as smooth as my (heavier) OPERA. You can feel that it's made for racing and not cruising. But I do not consider that as a disadvantage.

[Nov 11, 2009]
antboonen

Strength:

light, stiff and power to the ground

none as yet

This frame set was an upgrade to my first carbon bike from an the ever reliable and bullet proof aluminum Cannondale CAAD 8. Built the Canyon with a 10 speed campy chorus/record group set with Mavic ES training wheels and Zipp 303 tubular - race wheels. I was expecting the Canyon to be stiff but not quite as stiff as the Cannondale - I was wrong, this thing is super stiff, light and comfortable. The only thing I did regret slightly is going for the 60cm instead of a 58cm in size. Canyon’s web site has a measuring system online that's a good ‘guide’ to what size frame you should go for, but in my case I was on the border line of 58 and the 60 ? the only reason I went for the 60 was the extra height in head tube - which lacked by 20mm (used spacers to lift the stem) on my 58cm cannonade. The problem with trying to adjust height in the Canyon is limited, 1. the frame comes with the stem and forks pre-cut and 2. the steer diameter size is 1'1/4 which is bigger than the normal 1'1/8 (hard to get spacers 1'1/4). Anyway the Canyon on the road is performs superbly - great value for money and has an excellent finish in the team white (if you enjoy cleaning bikes). I will need to get use to slightly bigger frame size – but that shouldn’t take long at all. I’d recommend a second option on selecting your frame size – unless you speak German well. I’d found there customer service and turn around time pretty good.

Cannondale CAAD 8

[Aug 19, 2009]
David Robertson

Strength:

Light, efficient, very stiff yet with enough comfort,incredible front end stability, good value, sharp looking, not common here

Headtube might be a bit tall for young boy racers types? Be careful with sizing, white bikes need LOTS of cleaning & TLC ...

My first full carbon bike after coming off a carbon / titanium mix. A much lighter frame with a tremendously stiff and efficient feel to it. The handling is a little sharper than my trusted Colnago but not at all "twitchy". I am running on tubeless clinchers for the first time and I am not sure how much impact this has had on the ride however I have not found the frame uncomfortable at all. Firm sure, but secure and fast is more the feel. The stability from the front end with the oversize headset is fantastic - it just tracks giving awesome confidence. My frame is in the team white and turns heads with ease while the finish and quality of the paint is excellent. Given the sharp price I am very happy. I did not have the negative experiences that some report re ordering and shipping and mine came to Australia so you can't get too much further from Germany than that.
Check the geometry very carefully however as my 56 Canyon is very close to the same real terms size as other bikes of a much smaller stated size ie top tubes are short. Price is Aussie dollars and includes discount for UCI licence (which is a nice touch) and shipping. Does not include Australian duty payable here.

Cannondales X 2, Colnago CT1

[Aug 28, 2008]
MikeG

Strength:

test

testasdf

test

teast

[Aug 28, 2008]
CippoForLife

Strength:

- Stiffness up front and in the bb area is unparalleled (see Tour magazine tests);
- Sweet white paintjob has held up well;
- Nice neutral geometry: quick handling without feeling twitchy;
- Low weight: only 80 grams more than a Cervelo R3 at half the price!

- Dealing with an overseas entity made ordering my frameset a bit of an adventure - order took about 3 weeks longer than expected due to the "language barrier".

Mine is the 2007 model with the thinner fork, and I must say that this is a very solid bike - incredibly stiff in both the bottom bracket and front end, looks great, light weight, priced rights, and moderately comfortable.
Hard to find fault at the price point it sits. Not as smooth as my Fondriest carbon, and not uber-light like the Scott Addict, but really hits the mark as an all-rounder. I've been very pleased with this frameset.
Come in around 15 lbs all-in, and the newer versions are supposedly even lighter and more comfortable!

Look KG 386, Fondriest Carb Lex, Merlin Extralight, Pedalforce ZX3

[Jun 14, 2008]
kjuel2

Strength:

- stiff
- light (fully built up- 7100 g)
- comfortable
- great looking

You have to wash it often because grime is easy to spot on a white... oh wait, that's a plus!

This is just such a great bike compared to my old Aluminium peugeot. They are roughly as comfortable, since that in essence was what the Peugeot was made for, but the Canyon is just faster. with this bike, i am able to leave others in my slipstream and beyond with ease. It is a great bike for longer climbs as well, even though i have the wrong cassette for that. About me:
- 1bout 135 lbs(61 kg)
- 170 cm
- junior rider
I built the bike up with SRAM Red and so far it is going great. The wheels are Campagnolo Shamal Ultras (Shimano owners beware: with 10 speed only freehub body). This bike is so great that i find myself washing it pretty much every day! Or maybe that's just because the frame is white...

By the way, the frame looks so much better in the new version with a bigger fork and redesigned frame. see it at canyon.com. Got it for 2000 AUD becuase i'm a Junior!

Peugot Helium
tried a Specialized Tarmac SL but this bike is just in another league!