Colnago Classic Frames

Colnago Classic Frames

• Entry-level steel frame at a mid-range price. Constructed of Columbus Zona tubing and includes threadless Precisa steel forks.
  • Sizes: continuous range from 49 to 64 cm .

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 20, 2007]
    Adam

Strength:

The ride is stable and responsive. Haven't really noticed any bottom bracket flex. The paint job and chrome lugs are gorgeous. Colnago = pedigree.

Perhaps a tad heavy for racing purposes, but I still race on the bike with good results.

Beautiful bike. Great ride. You won't find a classier frame on the road.

[Oct 29, 2003]
    stella

Strength:

a head turner, rides wonderful (see above)...must be the geometry-nothing beats a frame tested in on mountains w/hairpin turns

paint chips easily...when I am weight conscious I say the weight...but then again-how fit is the rider?

the best frame I have owned, I ride a 49cm. MUCH better than my past two road bikes. I test a fair amount of bikes. This one inspires confidence going through the turns-VERY responsive. Absorbs the road but still gives me the information I need. listen up guys: colnago IS a girls best friend!

nothing-but did own: raleigh R600 w/carbon fork; trek 1000; fuji-old steel frame; test ridden: bianchi eros donna, eddie merckx, lemond, specialized allez

[Mar 13, 2003]
    denverartie

Strength:

Solid, tight turns. Smooth, yet lively road feel. A bike you will hang on your wall when you're done riding it.

Weight ! Only 1" steerer.

This bike turns heads, even in Colorado, which is filled with bikes costing 3 times as much. There is nothing like classic Italian steel. The ride is incredibly lively, compared to my dead-feeling aluminum Trek. I weigh 215 lbs, and there is NO bottom bracket flex.

Trek 1200 Lemond Zurich

[Nov 07, 2002]
    CLazo

Strength:

appearance, the name means business - see above for more

Aside from its' current weight, none other to mention.

aaahhh the awesome feel of steel. The wife calls her "the other woman in my life" - well, she's right! My Classic is equiped with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, reducing road vibe and assuring a confident ride. I have never felt uneasy and the bike always goes to where I steer. Its' smooth ride is easy on the body when doing 60+ miles, never really feeling that I need to stop. Due to its strong composition and renowned geometry the bike is sturdy and never really displaying a sign of flex when I hammer the cranks. Love it!

none- I'm a mountain biker also turned roadie.

[Nov 04, 2002]
    Mr Wishy

Strength:

This bike posesses such a heavenly ride quality that I am convinced that steel will be around for quite a while. The ride is very smooth and comfortable, yet it still manages to be lively. Small vibrations are damped out, yet the frame still transmits enough information to the rider to let him/her know what's going on. The handling is nothing short of phenomenal. On my second ride on this bike, we came upon a long twisty descent. Our ride leader, whom has descended this particular stretch of road before, was gone. I noticed that everyone else started dragging their brakes at around 40 mph. I kept my speed up and the bike handled corners and connects apexes with the best of them. The bike gave me the confidence to rail turns fast. About halfway down, I started gaining ground on our ride leader. We paused at the bottom and he checked the max speed, 51mph. All I can say was that the bike's geometry allowed me to stay relaxed the entire time and handle turns with confidence. The paint and small details such as the chromed headtube lugs, chainstay, and rear dropouts shows that someone took the time to sweat the details.

This bike has few if any. But if I had to pick one, I would say that the steering feels slightly floppy at slower speeds (<15mph). At first, I thought this bike had a steeper head angle than my Giant, but at 71.1 degrees for a 53cm frame it is actually .9 degrees slacker than the Giant. I have to add that I am currently using a stem that is about 10 to 20mm shorter than what I should be using which could add to the floppy feeling.

This bike is classic Italian. From the gorgeous paint job, masterfully crafted lugs, and chromed head tube lugs, chainstay, and rear dropouts, this bike turns heads and produces envy from those with higher tech, more expensive bikes. The bike has panache, great ride, and phenomenal handling. Unlike other generic bikes, the combination of all things that make this bike a Colnago instills in its owner a certain pride of ownership. So much so that it will be difficult for them to be swayed otherwise. This is the kind of bike that you would, and should, keep for a lifetime.

-Trek 1000 -Schwinn Super Sport GLX -Giant TCR 2

[Mar 30, 2000]
    Rick

Strength:

Best riding material made, stiff enough for climbin and sprinting. Helps smooths out any rough road. And gots an
    beautiful paint job.

If you want a bike that you can ride all day and not be
    thrashed at the end of a century, a steel Colnago frame and
    fork is the way to go. It may not be the lightest bike but
    the ride will last you a life time. I plan on keeping mine
    for a long time.

[Apr 24, 2001]
    James Middleton

Strength:

Steel Frame, Carbon Fork.

Paint chips easily.

When searching for a road bike I was concerned with the ride quality (I weigh 220) The Steel Frame with Carbon Fork and Campy Carbon Seat Post provide a smooth ride, compared to the Cannondale I was using as a loaner. I'm not impressed with the Campy 10 speed - the lowed end of the Cassette is not usable when I'm in the big crank.

[Mar 08, 2001]
    Rob Martindale

Strength:

Craftmanship, Detail, Heritage

This is a great steel bike. It handles perfectly in the curves and when the situation gets hairy. The ride is comfortable for long distance but plenty stiff for climbs and sprints. It doesn't beat me up with road chatter like aluminum bikes do. If your a road racer concerned about every gram, look at a different bike. My bike is 21 lbs but I never notice the weight only the ride. The crew at Britton's are extremely knowledgeable about road bikes and did well setting me up with the Classic.