Colnago CT1 Frames

CT1

• The front trapeze of the CT1 is in titanium alloy while the whole carriage is in carbon. Forks are in alluminium alloy with carbon stems (Colnago Flash fork 490 g) and can be interchanged.
  • Size: continuous range from 46.5 to 64 cm.
  • Models: CTF, CTB, and CTR.

• User Reviews (43)

awt   Recreational Rider [Jun 07, 2009]
    Strength:

Comfortable compared to a Alu Cannondale. Rides fast with little effort.

None at the moment

Colnago Titanio no CT1 or biTitan but full Titanio. This is my first serious racing bike, I use it mainly in long city rides and Milano has a lot of pave. Used it on steep hills too and did not miss my older Cannondale with triple. Pure understatement in its grey matt look.

Similar Products Used: my first racing bike
    dazzlecat   Recreational Rider [Jun 19, 2008]
    Strength:

1 Fantastic geometry and amazing fast descending characteristics.
    2 Ride comfort level on long distances.
    3 Good characteristics for sprinting bursts

Gel coat chips to carbon fibre, but I have learned how to repair this effectively myself, and the carbon fibre itself has never been damaged. The bike is a little heavy at 20 lb but is set up with components for reliability on long distance riding such as Audax, and for availability of component rather than for racing. Shame not to use Campag' components, wheels are Ultegra hubs and Mavic open pro for serviceability

I recently considered a change of frame to full titanium and another make (Rewell) because in my riding area the roads are full of gravel and stones, the rear carbon triangle getting badly chipped. I could not ditch the CT1 in the end, and have changed the rear cogs to 12:25. (previously 11:34) With this change the bike gained a new lease of life, as did my riding. The strengths that made me hang on are:-

Similar Products Used: Sunn Asphalt, very scarey and unstable on fast descents but otherwise a fair bike
    jakilby   Road Racer [Jan 28, 2008]
    Strength:

Great climbing frame, smooth ride, eye catcher (quality paint job)

I own two other colnago C40's but the CT1 is a dream to ride. The one I have is the rare 2002 Stars and Stripes.

Similar Products Used: I have a 2002 C40 world champion and C40 Mapei which have a slightly stiffer and just as responsive to ride
    Nearly Roadkill   Recreational Rider [May 30, 2007]
    Strength:

Does everything well. Looks amazing.

None that I can find.

I love it!!!!! Great on the flats, great on climbs, great descending, and incredible to look at. Not the lightest, but then I'm 200 lbs. It's everything I thought it would be. I used to have some upper back pain after riding 75 or so. Now, the only thing that ever hurts is my legs, and the only way to fix that is to ride with a slower group.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Epic road
    pcd993   Road Racer [Dec 06, 2006]
    Strength:

Build quality is very good. The ride quality on English back roads is second to none. The Force fork is perfect - very stable. Geometry is unique, and fantastic on descents.

Splitting hairs perhaps, but lacking a bit of raciness.

A really enjoyable ride. Very comfortable, entertaining on the descents, not too bad going uphill either.
    Perhaps lacks the "snap" of acceleration I get with my Look 585 on steeper climbs, not that it is flexy - it just does not quite have the same degree of instant response. Adequately light.

Similar Products Used: Look 585. Specialized Tarmac S-works. Roberts 531 steel. Ribble Scandium.
    Kraftwerk   Road Racer [Jul 10, 2006]
    Strength:

It is really nice to have this bike around, I keep it in the kitchen. Really miss it when I don't ride for two days. Very plush ride. easy to get used to, like most luxuries.

Can't find any real weakness beyond the "hintergedanke" that perhaps Titanium, is not my ideal frame material, soaks up the bumps so I think it is idealy suited to longer rides where the roads are bumpy, or dudes over 40 like myself. Really I am getting quite spoiled... I did let a guy ride it who has a custom steel Colnago and he was weirdly quiet after the ride, kind of a-nothing-to-report kind of attitude.

A stunning looking bling machine, Italians know how to make sexy trsansportation this frame is no exception. It is also very light and strong it inspires all sorts of speed and confidence. This is my first "modern" bike so it is world away from my 80's steel frame. Sometimes I miss the feel of steel, how it was more like a musical instrument. What i don't miss is the flex of steel on steep descents.The titanium soaks up the road vibration while the carbon rear triangle supports sudden bursts of power without wavering.
    Sometimes the titanium is a little boring in that respect somehow but the frame has capability beyond my ability especially on sprints or fast descents. Wish I had this when I was in europe two years ago.

Similar Products Used: most "recent" bike was an '83 Rossin full Campy SR. A great machine. Lots of dents and scratches but also lots of "soul"
    mkarnes   Recreational Rider [Apr 21, 2006]
    Strength:

Sizing (for me), ride, paint job.

Paint. I have severe bubbling around the top tube/head tube junction, and at the top tube seat tube junctions. Colnago and the U.S. importer won't return my calls about this issue.

My dream bike, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Great balance of stiffness and a smooth ride. It looks and rides like rolling art. It fits me perfectly.

Similar Products Used: Kestrel 500 SCI, Giordana steel, Specialized M2 and Epic carbon.
    peter shearmur   Recreational Rider [Jun 15, 2005]
    Strength:

Well made, well mannered

None, but perhaps gel coat on Carbon parts is delicate

Price is in UK pounds. Really I am a fast light tourer ( credit card touring) The bike is good for me as I like to sprint, and to go fast when the terrain sits up and begs for it. I have found this machine to be well mannered on descents, especially in the Alps the Jura and the Pyrenneees where previous bikes have wobbled on fast descents. The CT1 has lived up the its reputation and pedigree, mine is named "Claudia Atalantica Colnago de Milano". My wife has reservations!!!

Similar Products Used: Sunn Asphalte
    JasonJPharmD   Road Racer [Aug 16, 2004]
    Strength:

1)Balance(you'll know what I mean on long descents) 2)Smooth/stiff Ti ride

price(but worth it) paint job so beautiful you don't want to race it

The Colnago CT-1 is an absolute dream of a ride. Light, stiff, and perfect balance. I still have to wipe the smile of my face when I ride it. I still feel the road. It's not like anti-Ti people say. I say Ti is worth every penny (or dollar) you pay for it. Great on flats and long canyon climbs. The very best on descents. I've switched back and forth between my Cannondale to be certain of the differences. The difference is amazing. On top of a well made/designed bicycle, you have the history and passion of Colnago. If you have the money, you won't regret it.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R1000
    ColnagoDream   Road Racer [Aug 06, 2004]
    Strength:

Lively feel. Stiff. Durable. Very comfortable. Colnago geometry, with the right fit, allows for incredible handling.

Price. Non-replaceable dropouts. Turnaround for repairs. Carbon dropouts on the Star and Force forks...WHY?!

I have ridden everything, and prior to riding the CT1, I considered myself an aluminum guy for life. I am a pedal mashing 167lb guy and felt that nothing could be better than aluminum for my style as a rider. I purchased the CT1 with a Star carbon fork, which I was a bit skeptical about. The first thing that caught my attention was the stiffness of the frame and the fork. I was amazed! The bottom bracket is almost as stiff as my Colnago Dream frame, and has a lively feel to it. I was even more impressed with the Star fork. I thought for sure that this fork would be wimpy and very flexy, but I found it to be every bit as stiff as my Force fork if not stiffer. I don't like the idea of carbon dropouts, but they seem strong enough, but I refuse to put in on a roof rack (even though they say that it is ok to do so). The frame has a lively snap to it and has a positive spring when riding out of the saddle. The front triangle is well built with a 6/4 ti alloy that seems bulletproof in comparison to the aluminum frames I have been riding. The carbon stays are well built as well and have incredible vibration dampening qualities while still allowing you to feel the road. I have fallen in love with Colnagos because of the geometry and the build quality. These things are built to last! I will caution those looking to follow the advice of someone selling you a Colnago frame that is too small and telling you to run a 13 cm stem on it with a layback post. Don't do that. I have a 59 Colnago Dream w/ an 11cm stem and it fits better than my 58 CT1 w/ a 12 cm stem. I currently have three bikes and owned a ton of others in the past and this is by far the best of the bunch. For the first time, I do not have bike envy.

Similar Products Used: Colnago Dream, Pinarello Surprise, Paris, Prince, Trek 5900, Cannondale Caad 5, Kestral 200sci, Ciocc sc6110, Colnago C40...