Colnago Masterlight Frames

Masterlight

The Master Light is a steel frame work horse that is designed to be ridden hard yet continue to perform like brand new. Features Colnago's exclusive Gilco diamond shaped tubing, classic chrome lugs and straight bladed fork. Available in 17 stock sizes from 49-65 cm. 66cm throgh 69cm are available via special order. Weight for 57cm frame and fork is 5.3 lbs.

Le Turbo   Recreational Rider [Jun 22, 2010]
Strength:

Superb build quality, comfortable ride, rock steady, built to last and beautiful to look at (I sometimes just sit staring). The straight forks give it quiet an aggressive stance: it looks like it's moving when it's standing still.

I haven't found any yet, though the paint design is somewhat fussy for me.

At the very first ride, I knew this was an exceptional bike. Corners like it's on rails and eats downhills. I've never felt as comfortable and confident on a bike as I do on this one. The details of mine are:

Similar Products Used: Colnago Superissimo; South African built Le Turbo circa 1983.
John   Road Racer [Nov 21, 2007]
Strength:

The sum of the parts ARE greater than the whole.
Exceptional stability - solidity, handling, traction, acceleration. This cannot be improved upon.

None.

Absolutely superior bike, period.

Similar Products Used: Over the years, several other lugged steel frames, all very good to great.
Steel bikes are simply the best, still.
Michael Chin   Recreational Rider [Oct 08, 2007]
Strength:

At 16 years old, most of the newer bikes are probably lighter and perform better than my Colnago. The strengths are in its beauty and the great ride it gives me everytime I go for a ride even after 16 years. The pride and joy of being on a Colnago is enough to make me ride like the wind!

Myself.

I have owned this bike for 16 years! Hard to believe it is that old when I look at it. My bike still looks brand new. The paint job on it is magnificent. I always get complements on it.
My two boys own much less expensive Trek bikes that are much newer and the technology and weight makes my Colnago seem like a dinosaur. However, my boys and myself understand the aesthetic beauty of the Colnago.

Similar Products Used: None like the Colnago.
Cypod98   Road Racer [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

VERY responsive, VERY stiff, VERY comfortable (for a road racing bike), VERY aerodynamic, and VERY light (not as light as other bikes out there, but offers great performance).

By far, I have only encountered one problem with the bike; MAKE SURE YOU PUT GREASE IN THE SEAT TUBE; STEEL CORRODES.

This bike is the "dream bike" of all bikes. It is extremely responsive, yet holds a beauty on the outside. The lugs on the frame are magnificent works of craftmanship, and proves to be king of all Colnago bikes. I have tried many Itallian bicycles, and by far, this one is the best. The stell frame offers comfort, stiffness, and a reasonable weight (light enough to ride 35+ mph). I have been using this bicycle for eight years, and I have to say, is still in great condition!

Similar Products Used: None (All of frames were not steel). I have ridden on carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, alloy, and of course... STEEL. Steel is the best in both comfort and performance, in my opinion. Each material h
mark fischer   Road Racer [May 04, 2003]
Strength:

workmenship of tubing and lugs to last a life time

NONE

I simply love steel frames and the way they handle. They are very hard to bet in comfort and price. The Master Light takes it to another level smooth ride fast accleration.

Similar Products Used: trek oclv, torelli
Chuck Carmone   Road Racer [Oct 02, 2002]
Strength:

Amazing steel creation that is stiff, comfortable and relatively light. Dive into corners at 35mph and it handles perfectly. Drop dead gorgeous that turns every head on the road.

It's a little shaky when riding with no hands and of course the price.

Rarely when you dream of a road bike does it in reality turn out to to be better. But in this case it does. A masterful creation that performs as beautiful as it looks.

emorof   Recreational Rider [May 11, 2002]
Strength:

this bike is classic. The design is timeless.

there are bikes, that weigh less. the paint is splitty

extremely reliable, gives good feeling especially on long rides. I dreamed several years of thie bike

Similar Products Used: de rosa corum, eddy merckx corsa
Michael Chin   Recreational Rider [Mar 17, 2001]
Strength:

Detailed workmanship is impeccable.

I have ridden hundred of miles on an aluminum, combination aluminum and carbon fiber, all carbon fiber and on a titanium frame. My favorite is my steel Colnago Masterlight. If you want a great handling bike with traditional great looks and price is not a big consideration I would suggest the Colgnago Masterlight. The bike before the Masterlight was a Kestrel carbon fiber. The frame cracked on me! The Masterlight has racing angles and comes with a straight fork. One would think that the angles and the straight fork would deliver a harsh ride but no so. It weighs more than any of my previous bikes but the extra weight is not a drawback. I loved all my bikes but my favorite is definitely my Colgnago!

Similar Products Used: None
martin p   Road Racer [Jul 01, 2001]
Strength:

Superb ride qualities- very precise handling, stiff and responsive yet comfortable. Beautiful paintwork which has proved to be very durable, steel frame wil last forever! I have owned it for five and a half years and it looks and feels like new. The alignment, lugwork, threads, etc are spot on.

Wasn't cheap, although price in england has come down since i bought mine. Not all that light...mine has steel threaded forks, and carbon forks with an Aheadset would save some weight.

If I was buying a frame now, this would still be on my shortlist, but with carbon forks to save some weight. It may be 500g or so heavier than some of the latest frames, but the ride, durability, and comfort go a long way to make up for it. For the first couple of years it was my only bike, and I used it during the winter (sacrilege I know!), since then I have kept it for racing and special occasions only. It still looks great, there are a couple of small scratches but it stands up to knocks extremely well.
You simply cannot beat Colnago for style, craftmanship and history. I am giving it 5/5 as I think it does everything it is supposed to do.
I would recommend this frame for anyone but the lightest rider, looking for a versatile frame that will last for many seasons of use.

Similar Products Used: Other steel frames in Columbus and Reynolds tubing. I have ridden on aluminium frames belonging to friends.
Warren   Recreational Rider [Feb 25, 2001]
Strength:

Unmatched blend of resilient ride, performance longevity, reasonable weight and cost, proper stiffness, and confidence-building cornering and descending traits. Beautiful paint, chrome, and craftsmanship.

Cable stays not brazed onto headtube

Shying away from steel for years while I rode "better, more advanced" materials, I finally tried steel and was amazed.

Who should buy it: Riders who want the most for their money (who doesn't?) and who want a frame that performs at a very high level for many seasons

Who shouldn't buy it: weight weenies and those who aren't willing to pay a premium for the beauty and longevity of a lugged, brazed frame, with artisan-quality paintwork.