Cyfac Nerv Aluminum/Carbon Frames

Cyfac Nerv Aluminum/Carbon Frames

Triple-butted, 7000 series aluminum/zinc/magnesium lugs front paired with T800H high-modulus carbon fibre rear triangle in s-bend profile. Proprietary NERV-shaped down-tube for a stiff and a superlative ride. Cyfac's exclusive Double Stay. Frame and fork weight only 1.65 kgs.

[Dec 03, 2011]
Alex

Strength:

Full custom build even down to tube thickness

Brake fitting on carbon forks cracks the paint on mine as also mentioned in other reviews, its a problem they have not fixed.

As a kid I used to look at frames in the windows on a bike shop on the Gloster road in Bristol. Dreaming of how great in would be to make up a full bike from components. Now I can afford to do it, and selected a nerve ds2 as the frame, and it is truly amazing. I selected a full custom build with oversize tubes a carbon layer over the alu metal BB and press fit bearings, SRAM chain set, personalised paint and it has captured my imagination so much that I have lost 4 st riding it that's 56 lbs and it's still going down. I have just ordered one for the wife as well, I think those American classic pink aero wheels will make a great looking match. Probably get my ass kicked!

Cannon dale, kona,trek

[Sep 02, 2004]
cbenoit

Strength:

Everything.

Only one: that I can't afford two!

I stepped up to Cyfac's new for 2004 Nerv/Alu frameset after 3 years on the USA's best utilitarian road racing frames: a Trek 2300 (2002-2003), and a Cannondale CAAD 4 (2000-2001). Being a Category 1 racer who typically logs more than 10,000 miles and 40 days of racing in a year, I was hesitant to put such a piece of cycling art through such brutality. On the flip side, I've now crested 30 years of age and have always wanted to ride a finely crafted, handmade frame while I'm still remotely fast. So, the Cyfac it was. At first I was skeptical, as the Nerv/Alu isn't particularly light, being heavier than both my Trek and Cannondale frames, but after one ride I was converted. This frame is to bikes what my BMW is to cars - a dedicated enthusiast's ride. Whereas the Trek was stiff, light, and capable, the Cyfac was all of these things plus all day comfortable, refined in its ability to handle any situation well, and stylish beyond any bicycle I've ever owned. The powdercoat finish is gorgeous and tough, the tubing, with it's fluted surface and invisible welds is museum quality, and the carbon stays and fork have been the subject of much bike lust this year. It is the handling of this frame which will elevate you cycling to nirvana, though. Whether I'm noodling through a recovery ride or blasting down a twisty Connecticut descent in a tough NRC-level race, this bike is unflappable. It laughs at my 53x11 power gear acceleration workouts and begs for more when I demand that it sprint up a 25% climb. Seated or standing, it climbs like an extension of my body and feels like it's made of helium. Every single day I want to ride this bike and I cringe at the thought of wrecking it. It's the nicest piece of cycling equipment I own and although I treat it like a servant, it never falters. I cannot say enough about this frame. The full carbon fork is a work of art in itself and the perfect compliment to the Nerv frame. I cannot give a higher endorsement for a frameset. Find yourself a Cyfac dealer and buy one. You will never regret it.

Trek 2300 Cannondale CAAD 4

[Aug 05, 2004]
sheagley

I must amend my recent review. I originally said that the FSA headset that came with my Cyfac frame was squeaking. With a little assistance from Eric Sakalowsky at VeloEuropa we determined that it was not in fact the headset but was a noise caused by one of my derailleur cables. Yet again, the customer service of VeloEuropa/Cyfac is amazing.

[Aug 04, 2004]
sheagley

Strength:

Beautiful even though it is French;) Paint job is premire Welds are perfect Easy to build up Efficient feel on the climbs Quick in the corners Draws attention in the group rides

I have had squeaking problems with FSA headset that came with the bike. The squeak does not alter the performance of the bike though. The bike may be considered pricey but you have to pay to ride a beautiful bike. And with Cyfac you thouroghly get what you pay for.

It is hard to express my joy when riding this bike. I came from a Trek 5200 full carbon fiber rig. I was greatly impressed when comparing the ride quality of the Cyfac to the Trek. It soaked up the harshness of the New England roads as good or better than the trek. Where the bike excelled was its handling. The feeling of efficiency when turning the pedals of the Cyfac is one that I did not find on the Trek. All of the force put into the cranks felt like it went directly to forward motion. The bike feels crisp during accelerations and steady during high-speed descents and corners. The carbon rear end and ultra-light front all carbon fork absorbs the vibrations from endless miles of chip-and-seal in the Colorado back roads. The Paint job is great and there are many color options to choose from. I highly recommend this bike. The customer service at VeloEuropa Imports is second to none. Enjoy your new Cyfac.

Trek 5200 Specialized Allez Cannondale Caad 5

[Jun 17, 2004]
orange_julius

Strength:

Precise steering, great handling characteristic. A very "compliant" bike that follows your orders efficiently, with excellent power transfer. Alain Prost-designed carbon parts give good comfort. Impeccable finish.

Price. But it's certainly worth every penny! Chain stay just a *tad* shorter than what I would prefer, but steering more than compensates for its quick handling character.

The Cyfac NERV uses proprietary shaped aluminum tubing and unique Alain Prost-designed seat and chain stays to improve stiffness and reduce road buzz. The best feature of this bike that I have found is its handling: I feel more efficient when climbing while seated, and more confident when I'm climbing while off the saddle. Its super-stiff fork gives it great steering that lets me pick and correct my line on descents effortlessly. Power transfer is very efficient: the slightly sloping top tube and higher BB height concentrates the weight of the bike without giving it the twitchy handling that one finds on a compact geometry bike with small rear triangle, and makes the bike follow your pedaling and handling efficiently. The carbon stuff really works -- hardly any ringing that I used to get on my other (lugged carbon) frame. The shorter wheelbase means that the bike handles a little on the quick side, but the precise steering means that it's not twitchy. Overall, this is a great bike and I can find little to complain about. I miss the internal cable brake routing on my old bike, but that's a minor issue. Coupled with a great finish (certainly gets lots of compliments!) and great purchase experience from veloeuropa, I can't recommend this bike enough.