De Bernardi Aelle Frames

Aelle

An entry-level frameset for someone with racing aspirations or hard-pushing enthusiast. Built with the same attention to detail as the more esoteric frames to guarantee proper comfort and performance.

Lindsay   Recreational Rider [Aug 31, 2008]
Strength:

Sturdy, steady, trustworthy steed

Compared to today's bikes, it's a bit heavy, and it is less responsive than a carbon

I've put over 27,000 miles on my DeBernardi - loving it the whole time.
I do a lot of long rides, especially for charities. It's comfortable and I can count on it to get me where I'm going.

I have the pearl paint as well, and it's lasted pretty well. For a bike bouth in 1995, it's still got a fairly good paint job.

Similar Products Used: trek, and years ago spaulding and schwinn
Mark   Recreational Rider [Apr 14, 2000]
Strength:

price, ride quality, real italian frame for a good price.

paint chips easily

it is aelle therefore heavier than the higher end tubesets, but the ride is wonderful, smooth and lively.

a torelli frame using the same tubeset costs twice as much.

this frame can be had for as little as $210 when bought with a build kit. (gvhbikes)

I have well over 1000 miles on it, with no problems, except a few paint chips.

Similar Products Used: miyata, raleigh
steve quinn   Road Racer [Apr 23, 2000]
Strength:

good quality entry-level ride. very lively but stiff enough for sprinting. race level geometry. comfortable

a little heavy (but not for the price). the absolute WORST paint quality in terms of durability. gorgeous candy red finish but if you look at it funny half the paint falls right off the frame!

this bike has always been a rainy day ride or for when friends come to town without a bike. i've had relatively few hours on the saddle, but the time i rode were very enjoyable. lively ride, but still stable and steady during sprints or hard efforts. the weight penalty doesn't make it fly up hills but very nice overall. they gotta do something about that paint!!

Similar Products Used: mongoose iboc world champion, schwinn peleton, raliegh, litespeed classic
Ed Benton   Commuter [May 04, 2000]
Strength:

Low price. Smooth ride. Great bike for the money.

Heavy. Frame and fork weigh >6 lbs. Entire bike weighs about 24-25 pounds. Crappy paint. (It chips easily.) There are NO DeBernardi T-shirts, caps, jerseys, etc. available ANYWHERE. Nobody makes 'em, including DeBernardi.

This bike is my back-up bike for when my Trek 5200 is in the shop or otherwise indisposed. It is heavy, and the paint job sucks, but it does have a nice smooth, steel ride and nice geometry. I got the frame and fork with BB and headset installed from O'neils (www.oneils.com) online for $405 including shipping back in late 1996.

Similar Products Used: None
Ron Kast   Road Racer [May 15, 2001]
Strength:

When I started cycling I was very heavy (280 lbs) and felt a good steel Italian bike would do the trick. And I was right. Even with a large frame(63 cm) I was to get the bike under 22 pounds. The faster I push the bike the more stable it becomes.

The paint chipping has to be the greatest vexation I know. Other than htat it is a great bike.

This is a great starter bike and commuter. If you want a great show bike forget it. The first time you touch something hard the paint will chip. Other than that I have placed 6500 miles on the bike in two years with very little problems.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn, nisihki
doug   Road Racer [Feb 15, 2001]
Strength:

Low price. Mine has nice pearl paint, and rides like any other good Italian frame. My 53c bike only weighs a pound more than my gigabucks MAX tubed bike(22 vs. 21 - with equivalent tubular racing wheelsets.)

not really any for the price, and my dealer, Larry, prepped it with the same care he would a more expensive frame. This is crucial to me and probably one of the reasons i am still pleased with the bike after 6 years.

Everyone should have one of these. I got mine when i was a broke college student. I rode the heck out of it for 2 years in TT's, road races, criteriums, even a 12 hour endurance ride once. It saw regular 350 mile training weeks and i never felt handicapped by the weight because i generally used tubulars to race. As a race bike, it has been retired, but on occasion i have thrown 'cross tubulars on it and raced cyclocrosses (try riding your sweet-ass Merckx or Colnago in the dirt - it can be done- but who would want to?), right now, the old school dropouts have allowed me to set it up as a fixed gear bike for early season training. Versatility like that has made this one of my best bikes ever.

Similar Products Used: DeBernardi MAX, Paramount 753, and too many other decent Italian bikes to mention