De Bernardi SLX Frames

SLX

Still a classic in the peloton, SLX is synonymous with performance and durability-great versatility on any racing course or your favorite itinerary.

Charles Beal   Recreational Rider [Aug 20, 2000]
Strength:

Stability at all speeds, comfort

weight, paint

Great all around bike. Handles great, and desends like a demon on rails. Feels a little heavy on the climbs, but overall, my speed is equal to or better than previous bikes. The handling of the steel fork is well worth any weight penalty. On longer rides, less fatigue is evident on me. Classic Italian looks including chromed stays and fork, and the chipping paint around the dropouts, seatpost binder, and front derailluer braze on. Great value for a racer, or serious recreational rider who puts in long miles.

Similar Products Used: Trek 531, Panasonic 2200, Cannondale 2.8
Charles Beal   [Aug 19, 2000]
Strength:

Comfort, great handling, demon on descents

weight, paint

The DeBernardi SLX is a do everything workhorse. I finish longer rides fresh. Not mushy when I jump on it. Lugged SLX frame is beautifully elegant, as is chromed fork. Very stable descender. Complete bike (53cm) weight is 20lbs (I did spend some cash on stem, post, bar, and wheels to get it down to that, started over 22). Paint started chipping almost immediately around seat collar, and front derailluer braze on.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale 2.8, Panasonic 2200, Trek 531
Jeff Brim   Road Racer [May 21, 2001]
Strength:

Italian lugged steel with chrome fork, seat and chain stays. Traditional European racing design. Black paint and highlights still elicit compliments after almost five years and forty thousand miles. Nobody I know has one like it.

Not as light as some of the newer frame materails. I've had no problem with the paint or chrome as reported by ohters.

The road less traveled. I bought the frame and had to wait a few months before I could afford to build up the bike. This is my dream bike set-up. I've ridden it about 150 miles a week in the Florida heat, salt, humidity, and sand for about 5 years. It is the best bike I've ever ridden for long (over 40 mile) rides. It has a ride available only through 60 years of European racing experience and refinement. On our rides you'll see about a zillion Litespeeds, but only one DeBernardi!

Similar Products Used: My ohter bike is a Paramount OS with 650 wheels.
Shawn   Road Racer [Apr 18, 2001]
Strength:

Smooth ride. Handles rough road very well. The paint has held up very well and the chromed stays and fork are flawless after 5 years of riding/racing sometimes in the rain. This bike has been beaten up. For a 63cm frame it's weight is "reasonable".

The chrome on the rear drop outs make for a slick contact surface for the rear wheels. I have to tighten the quick release to "monkey tight" therefore I have to use a Dura Ace rear hub that can take the torque. I have tried some light weight hubs before only to have them buckle under the force necessary to keep the hub from slipping out of the drop out. Other than that I have no complaints

I paid butt loads less than some people I ride/race with who paid mega $$$ for their ultra light, ultra modern machines only to ride most of them off of my wheel. The frame has held up great and still draws looks. This bike has put me in the money in nearly every race I participate in from road races to crits to time-trials. It's the best bang for your buck.