De Rosa Planet Frames

De Rosa Planet Frames

• The planet's light weight Dedacciai Mega-Tubes are hand assembled by the DeRosa family at their workshop outside Milan. They're proprietary geometry endows this frame with the handling and stability that have long been associated with the DeRosa name.
  • To further insure that the Planet's ride reflects its family heritage, each is equipped with a special DeRosa Unicrown fork.
  • In the planet, the DeRosa family has successfully blended the lightweight and stiffness of today's Mega-Tube aluminum frames, with the craftsmanship and performance typical of traditional Italian road racing frames.

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 25, 2004]
    david c kelsey

Strength:

Proformance, finish.

Paint chips fairly easy, cable guides should be moved to the head tube, better never strip derailer hanger.Otherwise perfect!!!!!!

Off the 2300 on to a De Rosa, like the owner of the shop said after I bought it and was already having a little buyers remorse, "it's kind of like hitting the lotery you really don't know what you have" Was he right... the heart logo says it all. I'm a little more in love every ride. Hard to imagin that a bike could ride so well. Hammering the hills, cornering, the bike rides superb, looks beautiful and is everything that a quality road bike should be. Maybe better than the Loto.....maybe

Trek, Specialized

[Oct 24, 2002]
    Steve Blanchard

Strength:

Weight, coolness, fit and finish. A real work of art.

Hard to keep clean. The white shows up everything. I thought road bikes stayed clean compared to mtn bikes.

Bought this beauty over e-bay. Was really looking for a Trek 5200, but the De Rosa Planet caught my eye. I'm a dyed in the wool Mtn Biker, so I'm very new to Road Cycling. What an introduction!! Didn't appreciate the Road cycling history of De Rosa, because I didn't really know anything about it. But, figured that this machine had all the bells and whistle's and came with top-of-the-line components. Upon arrival, I was blown away. It took me about a week to just get used to the lightness, position, and acceleration. And the quick steering is still giving me challenges. Like I said, I'm a mountain biker. So far, I'm still infactuated with this machine. Unfortunately, it has had a detrimental effect on my mountain biking. I haven't been on a mtn ride since the arrival of my De Rosa. Dam, gotta get back to it.

Proflex and Paramount Mountain bikes.

[May 15, 2002]
    kbfore

Strength:

Smooth ride, the front of the bike is easier over the bumps than any other al bike I have ridden. Great sprinter

Dark Color Ti paint job. My Planet was yellow.

Had a 2000 Yellow Derosa Planet that broke at the bottom bracket. Sinclair Imports replaced it free of charge with a Derosa Vega. (The new planets have a carbon fiber rear triangle and they would not trade me even.) The Vega is smoother than the Planet.

Pinn Paris

[Jun 02, 2000]
    Marcelo Iannini

Strength:

weight
    rigidity
    DeRosa's know how to fit you on a bike

DURABILITY
    Paint chipped with less than 3 months

I finally got my "dream bike" after a 6 month wait. It was beautifull, custom-made, red with decor. It rode like heaven, sprinted very well, was light (2.8lbs frame). Three months later, the paint started to chip away, like if it was made of plastic, peeling the whole top tube on the right side!!! No big deal, I though, it was still an excellent bike. 7 months after purchase, with about 7500miles on it, I was training the day before an important race and it BROKE on the right chainstay welds, just behind the b/b shell.
    BIG DEAL, 1 year later and I still don't have it back, kind like Italian warranty... would be easily an 5 star hadn't it be broken....

Many

[Oct 05, 2000]
    Steve Mc

Strength:

Light Weight
    Razor Sharp Handling
    Extremely Stable
    Comfortable for Aluminum

Relatively Heavy Steel Fork that requires conventional headset

This is my first experience with a "modern bike" as previously I have ridden steel framed bikes with friction shifters (remember those?). The frameset is 1999 Planet which does not have the new trick carbon seatstays and fork. I got a very good deal on the Deda 7003 frameset which is BRIGHT YELLOW with blue and red accents.

The frameset is outstanding. Unlike the previous review, the finish work seems quite good. A poor weld did protrude into the seat tube which had to be reemed to correct, requiring the seat post to be shimmed.

The bike is very quick, stable and climbs like a dream. It is also very smooth for aluminum but does not isolate the vibration from rough roads like steel or carbon.

The Campagnolo grouppo is performing very well also. Although the triple lacks the cool factor, it sure is nice going up long steep grades. The clinchers I am using (Vittoria) almost feel like tubulars are less hassle.

Even with the clinchers, steel fork and headset, the bike only weighs 19.5 lbs.

I highly recommend DeRosa and Campagnolo products. I'll be looking for a good carbon fork and some Campy Nucleon wheels next.

Italian Steel Eddy Merckx
    Trek Carbon Fiber

[Oct 25, 2000]
    Sebastian Pilsl

Strength:

Light weight with excellent climbing performance; also very well suited for sprints. Carbon seat stays, Carbon fork add to the very smooth ride; ...

None so far ...

Best bike I have ever tested / ridden. Performs well under every condition, even though I weigh 200 pounds. I highly recommend the Planet and Campy products.

I chose this frame over the DeRosa Merak (both are about the same price) because it offers the carbon seat stays. The Merak is 100 gramms lighter though.

Both are very good choices.

Basso

[Nov 28, 2000]
    Don

Strength:

Light weight and typical good looking Italian craftsmanship. Geometry and use of OS tubing.

Paint does easily chip. No interchangable rear derailleur hanger.

I'm a chronic bike breaker. Have snapped several frames at the chain stays and drop outs when stomping to sprint over a hill. My Olmo met a miserable death as it too succumbed to chain stay failure. Have been a die hard steel man only wanting to own non-american, handmade frames. Tried out the mass produced and wasn't inspired. The appeal of the De Rosa was the stiffness, weight and response. The Colnago and Ciocc were great too, but something was missing.
    The Planet feels so efficient in comparison to the others ridden and the paint scheme has drawn attention and admiration.
    LBS has Planet frames for $2000, couldn't pass up the opportunity to get near new for $400.

Olmo, Ciocc, Colnago, Cannondale and Klein

[May 08, 2001]
    Tom

Strength:

Weight, stiffness, ride, beauty

A work of art! Rides like a dream. It feels lighter and more responsive than my Ti bike. I notice the stiffness in the bottom bracket area when I stand to accelerate or climb. However, the general ride quality is comparable to my DEAN as far as ride comfort, handling and tracking. The oversized steerer (1 1/8) and integral headset combine to create a stiff and light front end.

DEAN ti, DeRosa steel