Fondriest Carb Level Frames

Carb Level

Fondriest Carb Level U107

Ride-Fly   Recreational Rider [Jan 09, 2011]
Strength:

Great handling, fairly light, excellent power transfer.

Fondriest the original company is OOB. New Fondriest company doesn't have anything to do with original. Not made anymore.

I've had this bike longer than any of my others. I really enjoy it! It is "old" technology when considering all the latest carbon and Ti stuff out there, but when it first came out, it was on the cutting edge of technology. Made of Dedacciai U2 tubes but at a thicker gauge and re-designated U107 with carbon seatstays and a Mizuno full carbon fork. The BB area has CNC'ed chainstays which look way cool, although I admit I don't know how or if it really affects the vibration damping or stiffness.

OK so about the ride! My Carb Level rides about as well as any other bike I have ridden. I like my Ext C and TF1 better but it may have more to do with aesthetics than anything else. While I frequently state in my posts or reviews that Colnagos are the best handling bikes I have ever ridden, I will say that Fondriests are the second best. They are GREAT handling bikes! Both my Carb Level and TF1 inspire confidence in the descents. The reason, I say the Colnagos handle better is because I feel more confident leaning the bike to steeper angles. The CL is just a tad quicker handling. This bike climbs extremely well and is smooth for an AL bike. I have a Klein Quantum Race, and although not as stiff as that bike, the CL is more comfortable and climbs just as well.

Currently, I use this as my winter/wet weather bike and commuter with fenders and lights on it. Because I use it as my commuter, it gets the most miles than the rest of my bikes and I never feel it lacking any performance characteristic. I think this wass one of the best AL bikes made. Too bad that AL has lost some its luster because when you put this up against the rest, it holds its own. I can say that other bikes are better at one thing or another, but really, when the CL trails, it doesn't trail far behind. If you get a chance to pick up a used Carb Level at a good price, I highly recommend jumping on it!

Similar Products Used: Own: '08 Colnago Extreme C, '05 Fondriest Top Carbon TF1, '05 Colnago Mix, '07~ Tommasini Tecno steel, '05~ Mondonico Futura Leggera
Andy   Recreational Rider [Sep 06, 2007]
Strength:

Keep going up even if you say you can't.It also can sprint like a cheetah on two wheels.

Rubbery paint job is bit hard to clean after each ride,but nothing is perfect!

I must say before I took the big step from Columbus steel frame onto Dedaccia U2 aluminum was a struggle.Especially a sloping frame design come into play it was another variable.But,after a year of riding the Carb Level up my favorite mountain roads and pushing it on the straight flat tarmac I realized it is a much better built machine.Not saying I don't like steel anymore,it's the magic a Carb Level displayed that I can't stop riding it.

Similar Products Used: Colnago C40,De Rosa Professional SLX,Atala Professionisti,Colnago Custom Time Trail bike,De Rosa Merak,etc....
jhamlin38   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2007]
Strength:

Black matte paint, stability, spinning, grinding, sprinting. Nice short chainstays. Perfect geometry makes it feel as if it was built for me.

Clamp on front derailleur, hard to find 28mm clamp. Didn't buy one sooner.

Status Deda EOM 16.5 w/ carbon seatstays. Very responsive and comfortable frame. Seems to lunge forward constantly. Feels at home grinding fast downhill, powering up steep climbs, or spinning up long drags. Nice tight rear triangle for excellent sprinting. This frame negates my need to slide for/aft on saddle to maintain comfort.
Stoudt fork for good/stable hard cornering.
The faster you go, the more "at-home" the bike feels.
The best steel I've ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: Moser, Giordana, Trek 5500 oclv, abici podium
thwart   Recreational Rider [Jun 29, 2007]
Strength:

Ride!
Speed.
Beautiful finish.

None apparent at this time.

Wow! What a bike. Glued to the road and very solid feeling, yet always seems to want to go faster. On my first ride I set a record time on my usual fast loop. Feels like steel but with more "jump". And hills...
Of course the graphics (on the Monumental SAT) are spectacular as well. The finish looks like that of a custom bike. Very nicely detailed and finished.
Would agree with someone who reviewed another Fondriest---this is a bike that makes it easy to clear out the garage... as it does everything you need a road bike to do. Other bikes suffer by comparison.

Similar Products Used: Serotta, Colnago, Look and ti Holland, as well as others.
Bryan Darrow   Road Racer [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

Handling, Balanced, Stiff, and the Road feel is awesome. I have expierenced none better. A GREAT deal at $550 for a new frame and fork as original retail was $2699, which I think it is worth.

Only that Fondriest is no longer distriubted in the U.S., and this frame is no longer made. I hope this one last a long time, as I will have to make a trip to Europe to buy my next Fondriest.

After an exhaustive search to find this frame, I finally found a NOS frame at ATA Cycle in Boston. It was worth the wait. Wow! I have been riding a long time and I am not sure what perfect frame would ride like, but so far this is as close to perfect as I have found. The bike is light, stiff, balanced, and geometry and handling is dead on. The bike road feel is like the best carbon and soaks up bumps and road noise with amazing ability. It is tight with no rattles of any kind. Just solid. The Carb Levelfeels like an extension of your body. It climbs great, and corners like a dream. I built up as durable daily bike and weight comes in at 17.5 lbs, which is dead on for a good solid road bike. I was worried when I sold my Lemond as I was very happy with it, but after one ride I was like Lemond who? I am still in awe each time I ride.

Similar Products Used: Many.
BESOFT   Road Racer [Jun 07, 2006]
Strength:

FAST/LIGHT/COMFORTABLE

NOTHING/ NO LONGER AVAILABLE IN US

AN INCREDABLE RIDE. I HAVE BEEN RIDING THE LAMPRE U107 FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS, THE LONGEST I HAVE EVER OWNED A BIKE. IT IS FAST IN THE CRIT SPRINTS BUT STILL NICE TO RIDE THE CENTURYS. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD REPLACE IT WITH SO I JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER SAT 107 2004 MODEL.

Similar Products Used: GIANT OCR/SPEC/TREK/CANNONDALE
aaronbarker   Recreational Rider [Jan 17, 2006]
Strength:

stiff, responsive, absorbs road buzz very well. corners on rails, excellent fit, finish and design

can only pick this frameset up used or as last remaining stock.

I've been looking for a Fondriest frame for about a year and this great deal fell into my lap. I'd been willing to go for a Don Racer, M. di Campiglio or even a Top Level, but a lightly used Carb Level presented itself and I couldn't resist. It's a semisloping geometry that's equivalent to a 54 or 55 standard, but is actually listed as a 52. I was impressed with this frame right out of the box. Great finish, the carbon fork and seatstays look terrific and show little wear. I've done my fair share of design and manufacturing through my career and the quality of work and design considerations of this frame are impressive. shaped top tube, a down tube that thickens laterally as it meets the bottom bracket and a CNC machined lattice that the chainstays mount to that absorb road buzz without sacrificing stiffness and power transfer. This bike came ready to ride with a mishmash of bikeshop parts that i've begun to replace. now that i've got my choice of bar/stem and saddle/seatpost, i've had it out for a few good rides. i could immediately tell that it is a very responsive ride. getting hard into the cranks springs you forward with every bit of confidence and control you'd want. cornering is a dream. my colnago vip2000/asso frame always felt a bit tentative and twitchy cornering hard, but the carb level just eats corners. i've done a ride-to-ride comparisson of the two with the same wheelset and my line was so much tighter with the fondriest. even before i realized just how much more i could push the bike in the corners, the difference was clearly apparent. I've got the Lampre edition that Gilberto Simoni took to victory in the 2003 Giro which is not the paint design i'd choose (hoping for the black), but it still looks great and is an eyecatcher. another fondriest review on this site warns the new fondriest owner to "be prepared to pontificate" about how great the bike performs.....count me in and i'll gladly talk your ear off on how much fun this frameset is.

Similar Products Used: colnago VIP2000/asso frameset
BrianJapan   Road Racer [May 30, 2005]
Strength:

Good value for the price - it was on sale. I don't think I would buy it at full price, though ($2699??). Light, responsive, comfortable.

Since it's an Italian frame, it comes with an Italian BB...takes a few times tightening it until it stops coming loose during riding (inherent flaw in italian bb threading). The Mizuno supplied fork is comfy, and stiff when cornering (laterally stiff), but can sometimes shudder front to back under hard braking.

A very nice riding frame, no surprises here. It rides very similarly to a Cinelli Starship I owned previously. That is to say, the overall impression is of a "soft" ride, very smooth. It's responsive enough for me (although I only weigh 63 kilos), and sprints well. It has obviously been designed with long races in mind, having a god balance of stiffness and compliancy. I suspect that the CNC unit on the chainstays is primarily responsible for toning down most of the road buzz. Although it has carbon seatstays, I also suspect this is mostly for show; I can't imagine that they really do anything. However, this doesn't detract at all from the ride. One note: I had ordered a compact frame, but Piermont shipped me a horizontal (same size), the Fondriest shipping box, however, was labeled "sloping", so I don't know who was at fault. Fortunately, the horizontal and sloping frames in the same size (54cm) have the same top tube (or virtual t.t.) dimensions, so this wasn't a problem at all. Lucky for me! In retrospect, I've come to like the horizontal, as there are now so many sloping frames out there... The tubing is U107, which seems to be a slightly beefed-up version of Deda's U2 tubeset, made to the V107 specs. I don't think I would have bought a U2 frame, as I've seen quite a few, and you can actually pinch and deflect the down tube with your fingers. (!) The U107, however, is of course, not as light, but should last 3 or 4 race seasons. It's light (about 1150 grams?) but not uber-stupid-light. Overall, I would recommend this frame (and by association, the non-carbon seat stayed version as well) to racers who want a comfy, fairly light bike, and are serious about racing. (Don't expect it to last 10 years, in other words...)It's built well for what is intended to do.

Similar Products Used: Cinelli Starship
bow_macleod   Road Racer [Oct 18, 2004]
Strength:

Very stiff Hardly any road noise or vibration Very responsive - lively when out of the saddle

Paint job has started to flake with <1000 km Deep forks need extra-long brake nuts - still trying to resolve a problem with front mounting. Rear derailler hole was painted over, causing difficulties when mounting A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

This is a fantastic, stiff frame that soaks up the bumps. The two most noticable differences between this and my steel frame is 1) Less perception of how fast I'm going - it is so smooth and quiet it seems like I'm riding slow, even though I'm faster. 2) Frame stiffness. I did not notice how much the steely was moving around the cranks, making the rear wheel snake up the road. This tracks like an arrow. The Lampre colours take a bit of getting used to, but the exposed carbon on seat stays and forks are beutiful. Overall, the Carb Level is light, stiff, smooth, attractive and fast - everything I could want

Similar Products Used: Considered Giant OCR/TCR, Avante, Bianchi, Cannondale and Trek. All are outclassed by this baby!
msk8s   Road Racer [Aug 14, 2004]
Strength:

Those noted above, plus very lightweight, great finish. Quality headset and fork. The sale price made this an unbeatable value.

Fondriest is selling mainly online. You can't road test the product and you don't want to order the wrong size.

Built the frame up over xmas holiday 2003-04 and have been riding all season. An excellent frameset. The ride is smooth, solid and true. Great climbing and no noticable flex.