GT Bicycles Inc. ZR 1.0 Road Frame Frames

ZR 1.0 Road Frame

As ridden in the Tour de France by the riders of Team Lotto! Custom butted Easton Taperwall 6061-T6 Aluminum, 3D forged dropouts, and GT's trademark Triple Triangle design for awesome strength and stiffness!

new2tri   Triathlete [Jul 23, 2006]
Strength:

Climbing and sprinting. Super light frame definitely has a great sprint and can get you up the hills with relative ease depending on riding style.

A little rigid on the back end on rough roads.

This is a great ride. Bought on ebay - full bike - all Dura Ace, etc. Very light and great for sprints. I'm new to road riding and triathlon but I am able to climb and sprint around Austin and blow past folks on newer tri-specific bikes.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Felt
tallboy   Road Racer [Jan 12, 2006]
Strength:

STIFF, excellent pedal power transfer, climbs great, sprints solidly, decends nicely and STIFF compared to carbon.

A little on the heavy side for today's standards, at times a little uncomfortable and does not accelerate as quick as other bikes.

I have the ZR 5.0 frame. I got the complete bike, but have been making constant improvements to it since the frame is solid. The complete bike started of at 24 pounds and is now down to 19.5 pounds. I got the bike to ride for the winters, but it is too good just for the winters. The frame does everything I want it to do. It is fast. I find it easier to spin on this bike than on my Giant TCR Comp. This bike is ten times stiffer than the Giant. When it comes to step climbs I don't feel the 3 pound weight difference. The stiffness of the GT makes riding up hills easier. The bike does not accelerate as well as my Giant though. I guess I need to take a little more weight off the bike. The only major problem I have with the bike is that when fatigue sets in the ride becomes uncomfortable. This might bother some people. I have little problem with it though. Just being out onthe road is nice.

Similar Products Used: Giant CFR, Giant TCR Comp
Spanish Climber   Road Racer [Apr 17, 2005]
Strength:

Easton Aluminium. The paint job. Stiff and responsive. Used by Team Lotto in Europe 1999-2001. Good enough for me.

No real weakness. Not super light(2.0-2.6 lbs) but still light, 2.9 lbs-56cm.

The frame was the first item I bought off Ebay in July 2003. I was looking for a bike for my brother and came across this frame more than once. After no success in getting one after 5-6 bids, I landed this one. It's blue and red, which was custom painted for some West Coast I think. Used for one season. Due to working on My Peugeot and Bianchi, I didn't finish this project build-up until Jan 2005. I don't have stacks of money lying around like some of you high rollers that have Hi-end carbon and Titanium bikes. Must be nice. The bike is 3.5 lbs lighter than my Bianchi, which I like a lot and train on. I don't feel the GT is not stiff like I've read before. It won't beat you up.I'm a climber and it climbs very well. With FSA Compact 50/34, I can climb some pretty mean hills around here in Austin. Several are 15-17% and 1 kilometer long. Not fun is you're not in shape or light enough bike. I also placed in my first USCF race on the GT. Would have been harder on a heavier bike due to the climbing. The bike is great for road racing, Critriums, and long rides without any problems. Really good for climbing and sprinting.

Similar Products Used: 2000 KHS Filte 800,1986 Peugeot PGN-10,'94 Bianchi Repatro Corsa.
Paul Peynado   Recreational Rider [Sep 30, 2003]
Strength:

stiffness , handling , acceleration and weight

for a frame that was built for a pro team and represents the best a brand can produce , I thinke more attention to details would not go un noticed ( smooth out those ugly welds)

Had and liked my zr2 but frame was too small. The chance to get a zr1 was not to be turned down : the zr2 is great so the zr one must be better?.the frame is built with a centaur / daytona mix as a test. The ride quality is supreme , fast stable climbs and desends well. The back end is somewhat harsh but a carbon seat post has been fitted and the front end is nimble and flickable. I at present use mavic ksyriums but will be fitting Spinergy's xaeros as this may add a bit more comfort. Will update this review when this is done.The best ally frame i have ridden so far.

Similar Products Used: Gt zr 2 , Raleigh RSP 800Ti , Cinelli supercorse.
Spero   Recreational Rider [Mar 08, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, power-transfer, climbing, handling, value.

Road vibration on rough pavement.

Does everything well, with excellent road manner. Does buzz somewhat on rough surfaces. I recommend new generation carbon seatpost, bars and stem, especially if you use stiff wheels and high pressures.

Similar Products Used: Yeti Ti Road Project, Trek 5500/5900.
jgupton   Road Racer [May 29, 2002]
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfortable, quality built, paint and graphics.

I can't find any yet.

I have to say, that anyone who is afraid to purchase this frame because of GT's bankruptcy, is missing out. This frame is extremely light, very stiff, and looks way cool. I have the Lotto version. After only riding steel frames before, I was very nervous about the comfort of this bike, but, quite honestly I can't tell a difference. Don't be ashamed to buy this frame!