Gunnar Crosshairs Frames

The Crosshairs frameset is perhaps the most versatile design we offer. Though originally conceived for competitive cyclo-cross events, road riding, commuting, hard pack and non technical off road are also all within the scope of this bike. Waterford exclusive butted tube sets, featuring True Temper OX Platinum and Reynolds 853 air-hardening steel alloys, custom drawn to our rigorous specs. New asymmetrical D section chainstays provide rigidity along with generous chainring and tire clearance. Tubeset specificationss vary by frame size to offer riders of all sizes the strength and stiffness they need.

epicxt   Recreational Rider [Apr 26, 2005]

Affordable, well-built, versatile. Eats up road vibration (although this may be due to the awesome steel fork that it came with) and is sprightly enough to keep up with guys' collegiate high-zoot road machines. Descends like a demon.

A bit heavy for competitive road use. Long chainstays makes for slightly slower climbing on the road, and not quite as quick as a crit bike.

I'm enamored with the Crosshairs ability to tackle nearly any task. I initially purchased the frame and fork to use for training but quickly fell in love with the comfort of the ride. So far I've used it for long distance racing (S2S in Washington, 284 miles), cyclocross, road-racing, commuting, and normal training for all of the above. I now own 3 sets of wheels for it and plan on building 2 more sets in the next month for specific applications. It's amazing that with just a switch of wheels and removal of fenders it can go from a 22 lb rain bike/commuter to a sub-19 lb racer. Imagine the joy of training all winter with fenders and heavy wheels/tires only to shed several pounds while retaining the exact positioning on the bike. Pure bliss. Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of bikes that I would rather be racing on the road, and a few that I might like to try on 'cross courses, but I'm still stunned at how well it performs in both arenas.