Gunnar Roadie Frames

Gunnar Roadie Frames

New for 2004! The Roadie has been completely revamped with the new OS2 tubeset. OS2 represents advances steel technology using a 1 3/8" downtube and 1 1/4" top tube. We also added a 10mm head tube extension for easier fit. The result: less weight and a livelier ride! We also added a 10mm head tube extension for easier to fit. Also, Gunnars now come with clearcoat over decal.

[Aug 13, 2016]
flangy

Strength:

Ride of steel, custom geometry, steel fork as well, custom paint, much lighter than I expected. So far no problems with paint flaking I did buy a paint stick in case. American made!

really none

Fabulous. I ride it all the time. I have had it about a year, built up w/ Ultegra and custom wheels. Makes me want to ride more!

[Jun 08, 2013]
Philip Early

Strength:

Ride. Hand made in America. High return bang for buck. I expect to have this and enjoy riding it for years.

Paint chips kind of easily. But since I love this bike I will get it refinished.

Oh the love I have for this bike. First the alternative. I had a Giant OCR 2. Aluminum. It handled quick, and was a good value. But the bottom bracket would creak, and the ride would beat me up on country road chip seal. So I was looking for a new bike, saving and leaning toward a Specialized Roubaix. I knew I enjoyed the feel of a steel bike, so when my LBS (Cascade Bikes in Montrose Colorado) had a Gunnar Roadie on sale I pulled the trigger. This bike is perfect. It is high quality steel frame, it rides like a dream. It handles tightly, quickly, doesn't flex at all under my 220< weight, it feels great. I can't praise this bike too much on it's perfect balance, and feel over rough chip seal back roads. It doesn't beat your up, and just rides sweet, inspiring confidence on down hills too. I got the 58 cm I am 6 ft tall and it just feels right. The best bike I've ever owned, and a lot of fun to ride.

[Apr 01, 2011]
allspinergy

Strength:

The lively ride of steel. The geometry of the 56cm fits me well.

none for the bike but I sure need to loose some lbs.

What can I say "steel is real". Smooths out the road imperfections and makes long rides enjoyable with a minimal discomfort.

various aluminum, steel, carbon fiber over my 25 yrs of cycling. This bike rides better than my last bike which was a Bianchi 928 lugged carbon fiber

[Nov 09, 2010]
ktowncrawler

Strength:

- Light
- Fast
- Great build quality, made in the USA!

- Some of the welds aren't that great looking

This bike rides like a dream. As stiff as any aluminum bike and as light as titanium. This True Temper OX platinum steel is no joke, it soaks up bumps and provides great stiffness when hammering out of the saddle. It climbs like a goat, descends like eagle, and corners like it's on rails.

Not only does it ride great, it looks great too! I wasn't a fan of semi compact geometry but this thing is a beaut to look at and I get compliments all the time.

[Sep 11, 2010]
steelonlyplease

Strength:

it's steel....the frame is what you'd expect, but the fork is super lightweight. my for weighs a little over 1 pound!

paint chips easily, other than that no weaknesses found

typical product you would expect out waterford. very nice paint, but chips easily if you didn't pay for the extra coat. Mine has the old style sweeping fork as opposed to the new straight(it's an older frame and fork). turned mine into a fixie and it's a blast!

salsa casseroll

[Feb 04, 2009]
george kraushaar

Strength:

beautiful build quality, good climbing ability, wonderful rides on rough surfaces, fast enough for me, refreshing for a long ride.

Could use better quality crank. I also wish it had fancy lugs like my Paramount.

54 cm metallic blue Gunnar Roadie, Reynolds Ouza comp fork, Ultegra brakes and rear derailleur, 105 10 speed shifters, Centaur front derailleur,FSA Gossamer triple crankset, Chris King headset, Mavic Akysium wheels, Thompson seatpost, Hutchinson tires. 20 lbs.

1991 Paramount
Bianchi Veloce
Viking from Les Holland

[Jun 03, 2008]
joshuap

Strength:

Weight - My 51cm weighs in at 19 lbs. with mountain bike pedals, cages, lights and framepump. "Race weight" is probably closer to 18 pounds, which is one-fourth more than the Specialized Roubaix we just had in the shop. If I put got some Ksyriums or Zipp wheels, it could also get into "weight weenie" territory.

Stiffness - I notice no discernible flex in the frame, no matter how hard I am pedaling, or what hill I'm climbing. It rides extremely similar to my old Giant TCR, which I consider to be a very stiff bike.

Steel - As cliché as it sound, steel has a ride quality that was absent in most of my other bikes. It's also durable, which I fortunately don't need, since I don't crash much, but it's nice to know that it's there. This bike should last me a lifetime.

Geometry - I honestly don't know how Gunnar could have done it any better than they did with the Roadie. More than one person has asked me if it's a custom job, because the bike fits me so well. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe the Waterford guys know how to design bikes. I like this geometry so much that if I were ever going full-custom (doubtful), I would have the builder base my bike on this.

Paint chips if you look at it wrong.

Frame seems to attract water if you ride in the rain. Somehow, it gets wetter than my other steel bikes. I applied Frame Saver, but you never like to see water dripping out of your chainstay.

I adore this bike, just ask my girlfriend. I bought this Roadie, which is from 2001, on eBay other this winter, and I regard it as one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm logged nearly 3000 miles on it, despite the winter and the exceedingly wet spring, since February.

I'm hardly nationalistic, but I take a bit of pride in knowing that my bike was handmade in America by a skilled builder working in the legendary Waterford plant.

I find this bike is great for the type of riding I do, which is local road races and lots of long, fast rides through various locales and terrain. The Roadie definitely has "aggressive" geometry, which is exactly what I wanted. The steel frame does a great job of absorbing road vibrations, which is nice if you live somewhere where potholes never get patched.

Since February, this bike is my daily commuter. I own a car, but it's rarely used since I work less than a mile from my home, and everything I need is within reach (or my girlfriend brings home for me). It's definitely NOT a do-all bike, for that, I have a Surly Cross-Check, but I love this bike so much, that I find every excuse I can to get on and ride. I'll leave the panniers at home and take my messenger bag with me to the store, just so I can get more quality time with the bike, even if it means that my cans of orange juice concentrate stab me in the back on the ride home.

If you're considering getting a Gunnar, I wouldn't hesitate. It's far and away the best value is handmade steel around. It'll probably be the least expensive lifetime investment you'll ever make.

Lots of steel road bikes of various vintages, a Trek 5200 and a Giant TCR0.

[Nov 16, 2007]
Neil Fronheiser

Strength:

Best non- custom steele frame on the market. The geometry can accomidate a wide variety of riders. You order the frame from your LBS and then you can customize the build. Believe the hype, once you ride high end steele, you will be a fan!

weaknesses? well, I really like cheeseburgers and good lager. oh, and you may want to get the Waterford paint treatment for your Gunnar. It's worth the few extra bucks for the long term.

When i decided to set myself up with a new bike, I wanted to give new steele a try. After 20 years racing, I really didn't compete anymore. I wanted something that was going to be a blast to ride if I felt like commuting, touring, or racing. I was looking at Waterfords, but after some extensive fitting, i found I didn't need to go the custom route, so i settled on the Roadie frame in a 62 cm size. In the last 2 years, I have logged about 4500 miles on my Gunnar and have even discovered the fun of racing again. The bike is light for anything it's size at 19 lbs. (especially considering that it was built to handle a 230# sprinter). just like everyone else, the paint chips easy, but you can easily pay a little more for the full waterford paint treatment (rustproofing, and baking). I always think about getting a new bike, but I just can't find something that rides as beautifully as this one (at the same price anyway). Steele still runs the show.

trek madone 5.2, Raleigh R-700, Seven Axiom Race (can't knock the seven, it just cost too much for now)

[Nov 12, 2007]
danieljkessler

Strength:

stiff, light (relative), color

Best bike I've ever ridden. Stiff, fast and steady. If you're not in the Tour, steel is the only bike to ride. Pick up a Gunnar and leave it to your children, if you have them, and they'll love you forever.

trek 5500, Orbea Starship, Fuji Roubaix SL

[May 16, 2006]
reidgarst

Strength:

Ride feel. Paint finish is excellent. I have dropped the chain and has some chain suck issues (see below) but the paint has not been chipped or scratched.

Welds not the prettiest ever. Seat collar is rough. I kept dropping the chain when shifting to the lower ring but I think that has been remedied by canting the derailleur cage a couple of degrees out.

This is a great riding bike that should last a lifetime. It replaced a 1993 Bridgestone RB1 that had a run in with an SUV with me on it. The ride quality is very similar. The weight is lighter. The biggest difference is the lateral stiffness of the roadie. I can stand up on this thing and put my 185 lbs behind it and there is very little give in the bottom. Even on the trainer there is little give. The factory carbon fork is stiff but comfortable.

The finish seems to be much improved from previous posts. It has yellow on gold that was a color of the month. It has a clearcoat over decals that makes it shine like the sun outside.

Bridgestone RB1