Gunnar Sport Frames

Sport

Looking for something a little less aggresive than the Roadie? Our new Sport frameset can soak up the road miles like no other. Designed for a more upright road position, with an emphasis on comfort. Ideal for light touring, centuries and day rides. The sport accommodates fenders and longer 57mm reach side pull brakes. Waterford exclusive butted tube sets, featuring True Temper OX Platinum and Reynolds 853 air-hardening steel alloys, custom drawn to our rigorous specs. New asymmetrical D section chainstays provide rigidity along with generous chainring and tire clearance.

Geffrey   [Jul 20, 2014]
Strength:

This is the can-do bike. It goes faster than my old (2002) Roadie, but is just as comfortable, it's lighter also.
Fits 34c tires, so it's seen plenty of long dirt/gravel/adventure rides, but doesn't look awkward with 25c, so it's also had it's fair share of fast rides.

I had to go to a third party (Quiring) to get a welded fork. To me, a welded bike should have a welded fork (steel). Not a huge fan of how the compact geometry looks, but very functional.

I'm a bike nut, I've had a lot of experiences, including touring, year-round commuting, racing (cat 2), and I've owned quite a number of bikes, steel, aluminum, and carbon, though never a ti bike. I've owned the sport for 3 years, which is longer than I've ever kept a road bike, and for me, that speaks volumes. I don't race anymore, but I hammer it on the local fast ride and if I get dropped, I can honestly say I can't blame the bike. I've also ridden a couple of light tours on it with a rear rack, and it performed exceptionally. The only thing I move is the spacers up or down relative to the stem. Geometry is great, though I haven't raced it in a crit, that might be the only place where it doesn't perform.
For those who are curious, with Velo Orange Gran Cru long reach brakes I can fit 34c tires (file tread), and my 54cm frame weighs 3.6 lbs.

dcuper1   Recreational Rider [Feb 14, 2010]

It took me a long time to decide what bicycle to get to replace my entry level aluminum Trek 1500. I really wanted something that was more comfortable, but I could still ride the hilly centuries in the New York area around 6 hours. It came down to the Gunnar Sport because of the longer chainstay, lower center of gravity, and ability to use bigger wheels with fenders.

The Gunnar Sport Rides like a dream. Being able to buy the frame and components separately allowed me get the best components for my money and not accept any compromises with brakes, wheels, cassette and crank sizes.

I was very worried at first the steel bike would weigh too much and the geometry was too relaxed. I have found it too be just as light as my aluminum Trek 1500 and the geometry just makes it more comfortable, but it is still very fast. I have not felt any speed lose with this bike.

Being able to choose your color scheme is also awesome.

The Gunnar Sport is made of very high end steel that is very comfortable, but still light. This is not your 1950s steel. It has really come a long way.

Steel is also a much more mature product. You can't find in aluminum or carbon fiber a bike with all the possibilities such as this one. Ride it as is and it is a very fast road bike. Add fenders, wide wheels, racks, and it is a light touring bike.

I will try to update this review once I have ridden it for more miles.

Loren   Recreational Rider [Sep 19, 2009]
Strength:

Very stiff for a steel frame. It has a smooth ride, but when you get out of the saddle and go, the bike responds. Not everyone has one. Made in USA.

You have to watch the toe overlap on this bike when fenders are on. I ride a 54cm. I guess that's the price you pay for a sporty ride and full fenders.

Very, very nice riding frame. It's handling is spot on and the ride is smooth. I've only ridden it with 23c's so far. The ride is definitely acceptable. I'll be replacing them with 25's or 28's when the time comes for more durability and longevity. The Sterling Silver paint is gorgeous. Very comfortable riding position. This is the first bike I can comfortably ride in the drops. Being able to cut your steer tube to your desired length is a beautiful thing.

Similar Products Used: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Schwinn Fastback Pro
Dave Wright   Recreational Rider [Oct 13, 2008]
Strength:

The key advantage of the Gunnar Sport is its versatility. Stable but maneuverable handling, good bottom bracket stiffness, and the OS2 tubeset make it work for citizen (non-elite) bike races. Add on a small rack and disappear for some credit card touring. Bolt on fenders for commuting.

There aren't many brakes and forks available today for 57mm spacing. Fortunately the Shimano BR650 and IRD Mosaic 57 are decent choices. The frame weighs a couple pounds more than a premium carbon frame, but readers of this review probably won't consider that to be a problem.

So far I am very happy with this frame. The advance of my age and the constant press of technology finally left my 25 year old bike behind. I could not find an off-the-shelf bike with the versatility I needed and quality I expected to last me the next 25 years.

Extensive review of many candidate frames made me suspect that a stock Gunnar Sport would be right for me. To be sure, I drew my existing frame in CAD, overlaid a couple of the Sport sizes, took a lot of measurements of my body and bike, and e-mailed all of this to Richard Schwinn @ Gunnar along with my personal suggestions for how the new frame should be different and how I ride. My ideal frame turned out to be a close match to the 62cm Sport, so I did not have to go with custom geometry. Richard sent back a computer drawing and full specification/dimension printout, including recommended stem stack height and extension for my body on that frame.

The frame showed up in three weeks, built up easily, and rides exactly as expected. Compared to my previous frame:

Stable enough to tuck in and fly down 40+ mph hills around corners
More rigid bottom bracket
Better road shock & vibration isolation
More upright riding position for better hand comfort
Better seated/standing transition
No wheel/toe overlap

It also doesn't hurt that their "color of the month" was a gorgeous metallic orange with a hint of freshly cut copper.

Similar Products Used: Steel Geoffrey Butler 531DB cyclocross frame converted to road use and ridden since 1984.
Mike in Florida   Commuter [Jul 09, 2006]
Strength:

Versatility. I've seen Sports set up as racers, and as light tourers. The upgraded paint job is beautiful

I bought it to be my commuter, but it's too pretty to ride in the rain and sandy grit of Florida, so I'm looking for a beater rain bike. Plus, I don't like to lock it to racks, again, because of the nice paint.

This is the 2005 Sport---semi compact geometry, True Temper OX Platinum tubing. It's a fantastic bike. Ride is very comfortable, looks like a million bucks, doesn't complain when I occasionally take it offroad. I love it, I highly recommend it. It's nice to be able to buy an American made steel frame for the price Gunnar offers.

Similar Products Used: None really
dill   Recreational Rider [May 18, 2006]
Strength:

Comfortable geometry in a lightweight road bike. Stable handling. Quality construction and materials. Good looks. Made in USA. Light enough for me - super lightweight bikes scare me. Confidence in the frame's strength.

The low bottom bracket, while it contributes to the handling in a positive way, doesn't allow as much cornering clearance as you might like. Use pedals with max clearance or expect pedal strike if you pedal through corners, even at moderate speeds. If you like to pedal through or out of corners aggressively, you may prefer a Roadie.

Performs exactly as advertised - smooth & stable on the descent, and if there's any penalty when climbing from the longer wheelbase I can't tell. handling is very predictable, but not boring - its still a sporty ride. Love the slightly less aggressive position - my bar is an inch and a half below the saddle, which is perfect for me. Excellent quality frame and fork, with no noises, vibrations, good paint job. I get a lot of compliments on the color - orange metallic over silver.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Giro (nice, but too aggressive for me)
TommyApplehead   Recreational Rider [May 16, 2005]
Strength:

Nice paint, smooth ride. Well made. Love knowing the frame will take road abuse. Tracks a nice line, no vibration at +40. Frame will take a 700x32 tire if needed.

Nothing really. I had to purchase long-reach brakes, and they only just fit, kinda thought I'd have a little room for adjustment. Not as light as aluminum, but didn't like the buzzy ride of aluminum.

Rides just as I'd expected. I'm very pleased. I'll be using this bike for decades to come, just like my 1977 Peugeot.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Fuji Newest 1977 Peugeot UO-10
acckids   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2005]
Strength:

Solidly built steel frame(4.1 lbs for 58cm) and fork (1.7 lbs w/ nice crown). Geometry is suited for 90% of road riders. Stable ride. Up to 30/32C tires

The steel pipes stand out among fatter aluminum or contoured carbon fiber(may be a good thing)

I bought this bike used and abused. I stripped it bare of parts and had it powder coated. It looks brand new. I cleaned up the 105 parts and added some of my parts to build a 20.2lb(no pedals) 58cm with mostly 105 and Circuit wheels. I was going to use this as a beater bike but it has become my favorite. The steel frame and fork really are smooth. The geometry is relaxed which allows a bigger margin of error while riding in traffic, in a duathlon race or bike trail. I'm just as slow on this bike as my racer type bike. The fork is about 1/2 heavier than my Ouzo Comp but I like how the steel fork tracks and handles "real" road riding. I can't tell it is heavier. I would buy new if I had to replace this one. Even after used and abused, the steel frame rides like it is new.