Kestrel Evoke Frames

Kestrel Evoke Frames

The Evoke is Kestrel's new hard-core, road-specific machine. Super light, super stiff, with the super-smooth carbon ride that Kestrel is famous for. Semi-sloped top tube in a full size range for proper fit. 700k carbon fiber modular monocoque construction is comfortable and compliant, yet really responds when it's time to put the pedal to the metal.

[Jul 15, 2013]
Freeagent35

Strength:

Light weight, well laid out riding position, full SRAM Red, great parts pick.

I don't care for the FSA handlebar. (Not a bad bar, but the drop is narrower and deeper than I prefer).

This is a review on a Evoke 1 from Bikes Direct. Like many, I have considered BD due to their pricing and overall good ratings. I went ahead and took a chance on the Evoke 1 SRAM Red 10 for $2600. Considering that the group alone retailed for that when it was introduced a year ago, it was hard to go wrong. Ordered on Sunday, BD printed shipping on Monday, and in my hands in Illinois by Thursday. The bike was packed very well by Kestrel and arrived without a scratch. I am 5'7" and use a 65 cm c-c BB to seat top. The 52 fits perfectly, even as to the stem length. Cranks are 170 which is also perfect for me. I figured the Vuelta XRP wheels as a throwaway but have come away very impressed with them. Bladed spokes and sealed bearings. Less flex than expected for a 1450 gram wheelset. The bar is too narrow in my opinion for this size (I would recommend going 42) and the drop is very deep. No hack on FSA parts as they are very good, but I will swap out at some point. I also think the bike would benefit from carbon bar and seat post swaps as it is rather stiff, expecially with the wheels. This is also my first BB30 bike and I am in love. No chainline or BB flex noted at all. Even the seat (Kestrel, kind of like a Fizik Arione) is very decent. I expected to swap it, but may not after all. In summary this is a very well laid out $5k bike for $2600. I had to do very little adjusting upon final assembly. (The brakes use side load like V-Brakes so you will need a 2.5 mm allen to adjust them). Other than brakes and some minor adjustments of derailleurs and the chain suck guard the bike needed very little attention after assembly. The wheels were straignt as an arrow. If you are on the fence about this bike, I encourage you to take the plunge.

Litespeed Xicon, Look Kx Light, many more.

[Jul 06, 2011]
Kestrelryder

Strength:

The bike is very responsive and really soaks up the road without sacrificing speed or feel. A real difference from my steel frame, which will be converted into a city bike.

None.

I bought the Evoke SL frame as an upgrade to my steel frame, and built it up with some new components. I have taken it on a number of 30 and 50 mile rides and it handles like a dream. Light, smooth and responsive.

[May 19, 2010]
aaronis31337

Strength:

Light, cheap, smooth, fast.

Wheels and seat. I would think the Mavic wheels would be great, but they suck.

I've had this bike for a little while now. I did a double century right out of the box and I've done a number of 100+ training rides. I LOVE this bike, but there are a few problems. The seat is crap. The cushion goes flat and gets really uncomfortable. The Ksyrium wheels are really flexy and give a lot of brake rub. I tried my Neuvation r28's and they work MUCH better. The ride is really nice, and it's light. I put on Ultegra peddles and the whole bike seems like a tight package. I don't think I'll ride my titanium bike much more. I didn't think a frame can help you climb any better, but the truth is that it does.

K2 mod3. Moto TI.

[Aug 19, 2009]
Dallas33

Strength:

Fast, Stiff, comfortable.

None.

I bought the bike in May of 2008 and purposely waited over a year to write a review so that it was meaningful. The result? This bike has performed very well over the 1,500 miles I have put on it. It is very responsive and doesn't waste any part of your pedal stroke. Climbing is actually fun and it handles great on the downhills. I have not noticed any weaknesses with this frame.

Cannondale

[Aug 17, 2009]
Roger

Strength:

very stiff, very lightweight 16.2 lbs out of the box, great components, great look and feel

saddle so far is a little hard for me and the rear deraileur lug is a little soft

I bought this bike on Ebay at a very good price, it fits me perfect. The bike looks great and feels very strong. When I ride uphill the bike accelerates, it uses every bit of energy to propel forward. It is a great riding bike, the Sram components are the best.

Kestrel Talon, Cannondale six, Specialized Allez and Roubaix

[Apr 08, 2009]
John

Strength:

Lightweight

did not like the original 50-39 chinrings and replaced them with 52-39's

I am loving this bike. It is light and makes hill climbing a lot of fun. I enjoy how responsive the bike feels.

Giant

[Dec 31, 2008]
Bruce Jenkinson

Strength:

Stiff and somewhat aero. Kestrel is a company that builds great bikes.

I had trouble finding a replacement dropout. The handling on my bike (small - 50 cm) was twitchy, but with a longer stem (12 cm) it's now much better.

This is my second Kestrel. My first was, if I remember right, the SC200. It was a very responsive frame, yet very smooth over rough pavement. Coming in from a training ride I was hit by a car and the seat tube was cracked. Surprisingly this didn't affect the ride quality at all, but the insurance company covered the cost and I bought a Trek 5500. I found the ride of that bike very dead and unresponsive. Last year I purchased a nearly new 2007 Kestrel Evoke on e-Bay. This is a very stiff frame. The frame is small - 50 cm - and I thought the relaxed head tube would "flop" into corners like other small frames I've ridden, but it doesn't. The 12 cm. stem helps with the twitchiness. With the steep seat tube I have the saddle further back than normal, but it works fine. Overall, I'm very happy with this bike.

Many steel frames, Trek 5500

[Jul 21, 2007]
cyclism1969

Strength:

value,looks,responsive and feels light,comfy in long rides.

nothing so far...I never had any trouble switching wheelsets(done it 3 times already and it comes off easily hope they know how to do it right cause it hurts the reputation of this well built,well design bike.

came with ultegra parts but i replace crankset w/dura ace w/ceramic bottom bracket,switced derailler pulley w/ceramic pulleys,am classic wheelset w/powertap(stiff and light).maiden voyage with this rig impressed me a lot;stiffness in the right places which translates to fast but comfy ride,hammer down and it responds with authority...looks muscular too(looks like the hummer w/its edges)..my choice of bike in fast group ride/race..

roi antares,giant tcr 1 carbon,cannondale 6/13,sworks e5.

[Jan 22, 2007]
professorhank

Strength:

Light and responsive, very good climber.

Evoke written 16 TIMES on the frameset. 32.4mm seatpost limits your options. Awkward rear dropout shape.

I wanted to replace my Italian steel lugged ride. I originally wanted a Litespeed Ti (and actually still do) but couldn't pass up the deal I got for this Kestrel. Everyone I know who rides Kestrels likes them. My steel frameset had carbon fork and seatpost upgrades so when I ride this Kestrel, I don't feel any major difference in the ride/smoothness. I'm not Lance and I don't pretend to be so wannabes might notice a difference. I do feel the 3.5 pound weight saving though. It's noticeably lighter and more responsive and is a very good all-around bike, especially for climbing.

Bianchi lugged steel, Schwinn 974 PDG aluminum

[Jan 11, 2007]
zipp3001

Strength:

Light, good ride characteristics. Cheap when compared with other frames of its weight.

Poor rear dropout design (as noted in other reviews). You will never get a quick rear wheel change. You will never fit it into a stationary trainer without damaging the frame.

No clearance between drive-side chainstay and inner chainring.
Forget about anything other than a 39-tooth inner chainring on a double.

The replaceable rear deraillieur hanger is very soft and bends if the wind blows on it.

Overall, I am disappointed in this bike. Kestrel customer service/tech support is weak. You are basically told to take a hike with your problems.
It is poorly designed and Kestrel does not stand behind their work.

Guru Racelite, Ritchey Breakaway, Cervelo R3-SL