Landshark Bicycles Road Shark Frames

Landshark Bicycles Road Shark Frames

Frames include handmade Landshark steel fork, full custom geometry and tubing selection (gauges and diameters) and full custom paint. Dedaccaii (Italy), Reynolds (England) or Columbus (Italy) tubing.

[Nov 02, 2014]
gary

Strength:

Unique paint

Had a frame made in 1989 and sold it to a race buddy a year and a half later after his bike was demolished in a crash. He took it to Medici to have it painted and after bead blasting the old paint, the frame had rusted through on the down tube in multiple areas?
His frames were nothing more than pretty paint and zero tube treatment. I puchased a Basso Gap right after I sold the Shark and still ride it today, 25 years later. Not to mention the bike would shimmy at 26-27 mph.

I hope he JS has developed his frame building skills and QC.

[Oct 30, 2010]
duogeek

Strength:

custom fit-if your going to pay that much, might as well go all they way.
lovely steel ride
one of kind, gorgeous paint job

if you have to ask...

This bike is what custom is about. Full Stainless Reynolds steel main triange with a special steel chainstays and carbon seatstays result in the ultimate ride. It is light, but who cares! This beauty rides on rails and I live among some of the worst roads around. I ride mostly flat roads, but the few hills is where this bike really shines. There is no shimmy, and that rail feeling persists, though I've had to make a few quick changes(due to varmints on road) and the bike responds with no hesitation. Custom is the way to go and working with John-he is professional, timely, and fantastic-follow his recommendations! This is my third bike from John, and I couldn't believe the bike could get better, but it did. I just hope this doesn't sound too much like a commercial!

none of this category, other bikes:
bianchi, trek, cannondale, specialized, marin, kuota,

[Jun 02, 2009]
Tom

Strength:

The combination of comfort, stiffness, and stability.

Fear of wrecking it, getting it stolen, or forgetting it on the car top rack when driving into the garage.

After reading all the other raves about Land Shark, I wanted to add my kudos to John and his abilities as well. I was VERY luck to find my Land Shark on Ebay. Although I didn't get a custom fit, the bike fits so well that I didn't need to. At over 200lbs and 6'3", getting this large frame was its Dedaccai Extra tubing was a true find. Once acquired, I sent it back to John for a repaint and a pump to match. He was nice enough to add a Chris King headset for a cost I couldn't get elsewhere and he installed it as well. After putting 400 miles on it now I can report it as my official "best" bike. Stability, turning, comfort, looks, everthing puts this bike at the top. I have a custom titanium, a Trek Madone, custom Schwinn Paramount, and a few other bikes in the stable. None ride as sweetly, keep me as comfortable, or turn as many heads as the Land Shark.

Trek Madone, Schwinn Paramount, titanium,

[Aug 16, 2008]
hayduke1972

Strength:

Ride quality is superb, construction is top notch, bottom bracket stiffness is perfect

the motor could be stronger ;-)

I've wanted a Landshark since my first bike shop job in 1995 in Medford, OR where John was a regular visitor. I finally found one on E-bay that fit my measurements for a bargain. It is one made in the 90's with Reynolds 731OS Race. Brazed with a lugged bottom bracket shell. The oversized downtube makes this frame for me...stiff at the BB but compliant elsewhere. The steel fork is a perfect match as well. I don't know why people bother with carbon forks on steel frames...I've tried it and it doesn't work for me.

Bertoni Lugged, Ritchey

[Nov 06, 2007]
iwillchopyou

Strength:

Road feel, lively frame, very comfortable ride, custom paint job is truly one of a kind, price for what you get

Only one that I can find--little flexy BB.

I've had this bike for about 9 months and ride about 200 miles per week. Paid $1000 for the frame at gvhbikes.com (great people).
This is so much more of an enjoyable ride than my previous aluminum bike--the difference is amazing. I can ride twice as long before I feel road battered and fatigued. I love how smooth everything feels. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is when really applying maximum force to the pedals, it can feel a little mushy in the BB. I'm thinking of making this my training bike (bought it for racing) and upgrading to a stronger frame for racing (cervelo R3 if my better half allows me). All in all though, I really like this bike--looks, feels lively, and doesn't beat up my body like my old bike does. I also average about 1-2 mph faster (I attribute this to the steel properties, allowing me to more fully relax on bad roads).

[Aug 21, 2007]
brownlandshark

Strength:

strength, smooth ride, finish

none I can see

Very very pleased with my new road shark. I went with the zero tube set, fillet brazed with the easton ec 90 carbon fork. This bike is so smooth, very cliche now adays to say, but really. It's plush. I love the way it climbs, and descends mountain roads. John did a wonderful job bringing my dream bike to reality. The paint is BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't think of a nicer frame to own

numerous Colnago's, trek's and dean's

[Sep 08, 2006]
SteveSD

Strength:

Outstanding craftsmanship - contruction and finish, steel ride quality, outstanding customer service, expert advice.

None so far.

I bought the frame/fork direct from John at Landshark. Customer service is first class. John made several recommendations that deviated from my original specs, and I'm glad I took his advice. The frame is full steel Dedacciai Zero Uno with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. I tried several Ti and Carbon bikes, but couldn't find anything to match the ride quality of my steel Paramount - until I rode the Landshark. The Landshark has all of the steel ride qualities I was expecting and more. This bike is a huge improvement over my old Paramount, which was an Italian custom built Schwinn Team bike originally. Not only does it corner, ride, climb and descend better, but it's substantially lighter as well. The build quality is outstanding, with the frame contruction and finish superior to anything I've seen. I can't speak to the durability because it's brand new, but I expect it will be equal to what others have attested to here.

Replaced: Schwinn Team Paramount. Test rode: several Lightspeed Ti bikes, Trek carbon and Lemond steel.

[Aug 27, 2006]
nwrrock@yahoo.com

Strength:

Smooth and able ride sustainable distance with low road vibration. Weel crafted and just marvous to look at.....it is a piece of art work.

I am nervous about getting is a wreck i like riding it so much.

My bike is a steel "main frame" with a carbon front and rear.... Short chain stay and slight more up right seat tube....71.5 degrees...I feel as if the fitting process was excellent and the workman ship is beyond any expectations. The ride is really very,very smooth. Handling is great in a pack, downhill fast or on long sustained ride. Hand free is smooth and reliably predictable with NO shake or vibratory fear. It is 61 inche frame and weights in at 17.3/4 pounds without the peddles. Compact crank fits it well amd makes for a good clmbing bike.....Idon't ever have any shoulder pain or back pain. Thanks to Dale Brown of Cyclles de Oreo and John Slawta......

Non

[Jan 17, 2005]
swany

Strength:

- Stable - Comfortable - Handmade (not custom, but size was what I'd order anyway) - Steel. Should last a long time. - Bargain

Not the lightest frame around. Might make a difference if I get more serious about road racing.

After a year of use, I'm very happy with this bike. Bought from stock at gvhbikes.com. Dealing with Gary was great. Geometry was perfect for me. Long chain stays are what sealed the deal. I'm a MTB racer using the road bike for training. So I wanted a "race" bike which was stable and comfortable. I've had the bike over 45mph. No problems at all. Hands free is no problem. Paint job was a nice red/black fade. Unique but not glaring. Fits me well.

Specialized M4 Sworks (about 2001). Light and quick. Too quick. Quite a harsh ride. Specialized Allez (2004). More comfortable than 2001 but didn't like compact geometry. Trek 1500 (2004). Fit me well. Didn't like the aluminum feel. Trek 5200 (2004). Good fit. Didn't like the dead feel from the carbon or the large numbers on the road. Lemond Zurich (2003). Bad fit, good steel feel.

[Jul 16, 2004]
Justine

Strength:

Ride and fit. Fit and ride. Do I have to say any more?

Me. This bike will ride better only when I can.

I'm writing a follow-up to my review of three years ago. My racing days are long over, but I still love the feel of a great bike on my favorite rides. It doesn't get any better than Land Shark. This past winter, I had the bike re-painted. Not that it needed re-doing, but I changed my name, and my old name was painted on my bike. I also replaced the Shimano equipment (which was wearing out) with Campy and got a nice new set of Ksyrium SSC-SL's. Nothing has made the transition from my life as Nick Valinotti to living as Justine Nicholas as gracefully as my Land Shark bike.

Mondonico and Colnago steel frames, early Cannondale and Trek racing bikes, Peugeot PX-10.