Leader Bike LD-715R Frames

LD-715R

The most coveted frame for it''s value. This frame out-performs many frames that retail for thousands of dollars more. Stiff aluminum construction will be there when you need it on the climbs or in the sprints.

• Example Size: 56 c-t of st
  • 100% Shimano and Campagnolo Compatible
  • S’ tapered seat stays Double Butted 6061 T6 aluminum Alloy

• User Reviews (33)

Patrick Lew   Recreational Rider [Jun 25, 2010]
    Strength:

Very affordable, responsive in climbs and sprints--as a steel frame.

For the price, really can't complain about anything. Maybe adding a few more colors (gun-metal gray, powder blue, yellow, even red) would be nice.

I was looking to build up a steel frame as a beater/back-up and this 2010 beauty from Leader with hydroformed steel tubes came to my attention. At its price-range--comparable to Soma in quality, but cheaper--it was well worth the experimentation. Leader puts out a nice series of frames at a very affordable price for people with a budget in mind who like building their own rides. I got the black, but think the white would've been equally nice on the eyes. Nothing flashy, just pure bike. Smooth welds and glossy finish clear coat over frame ID. It was shipped immediately. This is a super buy for anyone who likes classic geometry and a steel frame.

Similar Products Used: Leader 715R
    Soma Smoothie ES
    John Della Flora   Road Racer [Jul 26, 2007]
    Strength:

Great all-around handling. Nice finish.
    Price of course.

Weight if you need the lightest.Otherwise none.

I've been riding this frame for a while now and really enjoy it. It is very neutral handling. I dont mean slow.
    It just goes where you point it. I only had one other road bike to compare it to, a vintage lugged steel raleigh that rode very nicely. It got too rusty so I got this frame to replace it, along with a GT carbon fork i got brand new for $67! its not quite as smooth as the steel frame but still very comfortable. I thought the bottom bracket wasnt that stiff but after recently upgrading to an isis crankset from the old shimano 600 cranks, and adding a very nice and very cheap set of Performance wheels this thing is accelerating very nicely. It feels much stiffer now.
    I expect to have this bike for a long time. The frame is not the lightest, but ive broken a couple of lighter frames. this frame is built to last. its nice to see the other positive reviews because i haven't ridden alot of road bikes. For the price you cant beat it.
    I raced a couple of duathlons on it and it performed very nicely. It was fun passing the full triathlon and titanium bikes.

Similar Products Used: 77 raleigh lugged steel frame

87 raleigh grand prix lugged steel
    Dan   Recreational Rider [Jun 03, 2007]
    Strength:

Value, value and value. You can't beat what you get for your money with this frame.

A little on the heavy side. Some slight paint flaws.

I am a very thrifty person. I was finally ready to give up on my 15 year old 12 speed. The old bike had served me well but was passed up by newer advances in cycling equipment. I bought the Leader frame for the price. Hard to beat a 100 dollar aluminum frame. I built the bike with mostly E-bay bargins. I feel I have a 1500 dollar bike for about a 800 dollar investment. I'm into the third season with this frame and am still very pleased with the performance and value. I don't race but I do like to ride hard. No real compaints with the bike in my type of use. This may not be an expensive fancy bike but I enjoy it very much.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn, Giant and have test rode many others.
    Chris Casey   Recreational Rider [Dec 04, 2006]
    Strength:

Sweet frame, super cheap.

Unable to persuade people that this is a cheap bike.... lots of compliments (and I mean a lot!)

Bargain of the century! Solid riding bike- a little heavy at 4#, but with a hodgpodge of components (mostly Ultegra of varying ages) and a pair of Bontrager Race-Lites, this still comes in at a respectable 18.5 pounds!

Comfortable ride, good position, no flex when climbing or sprinting. Solid when descending. Nothing to complain about at all.

Would maybe recommend paying a little more to get their lighter framesets.

I liked this frame so much I bought another and set it up as my time trial bike. (Though the Leader TT bike looks pretty tempting!)

Similar Products Used: Klein Quantum
    bobm 4866   Triathlete [Jul 03, 2006]
    Strength:

Light, stiff frame.

None noted to date.

Received the Leader 735TT frame in May, delivered on time and in good condition. Had it ready to ride about 3 weeks ago and have been very satisfied. Am still making some adjustments on the set up but I like the frame and find that it is stiff and fast.

Was unsure of the correct size prior to ordering and called Leader (normally ride a 56 but due to the 78degree seat tube angle was advised to order a 53) for advice. They were very helpful.

So far am very pleased with the bike.

Similar Products Used: Tsunami compact TT frame.
    seckardt   Recreational Rider [Nov 12, 2005]
    Strength:

Good construction Excellent value

Excess paint in the head tube (see my previous review)

This is a follow-up to my original posting almost 2 years ago. I still must say I am very happy with this frame. It has taken everything I have dished out (FAST club rides & lots of standing, big-ring climbs) and I have experienced literally NO problems. Not much else to say....

mykonly   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2004]
    Strength:

cheap frame, I did enjoy it for 2 years.

Frame cracked. Can't give good marks to their customer service

I had the Leader LD715R frame for 2 years when I noticed the frame had cracked at the rear drop out near the cassette. When I checked on the warranty, management at LEADER would not help me because I didnt keep the invoice even though I proved ownership with their own ebay feedback. All leader owners should check their frames closely. It didnt cost very much but I cant give their customer service good marks.

Similar Products Used: none
    holtonh179   Recreational Rider [May 24, 2004]
    Strength:

Nice, solid, consistent welds. Great price, which allows you to put your money into the wheels and components. The single color scheme is refreshing. Doesn't look like every other Trek 5200 out there. Doesn't cost nearly as much as a Litespeed or a Colnago.

The LD-715 frame is sized small. I am supposed to ride a 53mm or 54mm frame. Leader calls my particular frame a 58mm. In reality, it is about 54mm. Do call them first - otherwise, you'll probably buy a frame that is way too small. This particular frame had a bent right dropout and derailleur hanger. The bottom bracket shell and headtube were painted. Headtube design limits you to Cane Creek integrated headsets. Only black, red, yellow, and white offered. Leader needs to also offer blue, green, orange, and purple. Litespeed and Colnago riders may sneer at your ride, but who cares? Your Leader bike cost a fraction of theirs.

I bought this frame from Leader's web store for $129 plus $20 shipping. Last I checked, you can now get it for $99 plus shipping. I took almost a year to build it up - money being the reason it took so long. I was skeptical about the quality of such a low-priced frame, but the welds are solid and consistent. This is a no-frills aluminum frame, but it is well-made. Assembling wasn't without problems, though. The right dropout was so badly bent that I couldn't get the rear wheel in. That was readily fixed, however, with a Park dropout alignment tool. The derailleur hanger was bent, as well. I straightened this with a Park derailleur hanger alignment tool. These should have been inspected prior to shipping, as the bends did not appear to be from damage in transit. The only other gripe I have is that the manufacturer painted the headtube and the bottom bracket shell. The bottom bracket shell didn't require facing or reaming, but the headtube did. I did the headtube myself, very, very carefully using a caliper (for measuring) and a Dremel Mototool and wire brush attachment until the headset could be inserted. If you really want to do this the right way, it should be done by a bike shop with a reaming tool. But if you're real careful you can do it yourself. If I'd have spent $500 or $1,000 on the frame, I certainly would have sent it to a shop to have it done. Nevertheless, it came out well, and I am pleased. I would have gladly paid $50 to $100 more for the frame if they had faced and reamed the bottom bracket shell and headtube, though. The bent derailleur hanger, bent right dropout, and painted bottom bracket shell and headtube are what kept this frame from being rated a "5". The design of the headtube limits you to a Cane Creek IS-2 or Cane Creek IS-6 headset. While either is a good headset, one has to wonder what to do if Cane Creek ever goes out of business! This is quite a limitation to place on the person who purchases a Leader frame. Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase. Just plan on the possibility of facing and reaming the frame. The ride quality is good, so no complaints there. This frame looks very similar to a Novara Strada frame. If you live near an REI store, check out the Novara Strada road bike, and you'll get a pretty good idea of what this frame looks like.

Similar Products Used: Novara Forza - an entry-level road bike.
    chad2653   Recreational Rider [Apr 19, 2004]
    Strength:

looks... basic straight forward colour solid no nonsense components stiff and fast

paint does flake...chain stay graphics could be stronger rider not as good as the bike

This is to supplement an earlier review that i wrote. A recap: I bought the bike on a whim really. A good friend of mine was/is battling testicular cancer and became inspired by Lance. He bought a bike and started to build it up and I used to ride as a kid and his interest in cycling rekindled my interest... so i bought the bike. I am really glad that i bought the bike as it has proven to be a really solid bike. The frame is stiff and fast but with the carbon fork and seat post is not uncomfortable to ride. There is no noticable flexing (I'm 5'9" 150lbs) when standing on the pedals and it climbs very well. The frame has held up nicely but there is some chipping on the stays. Hey, the bike is used not adored. As for components, what is there to say... full Ultegra. Top notch stuff. Honestly, you can go on about Dura Ace and Campy Record and Chorus but what's the point unless you are getting a break on price. Ultegra stands up to the abuse and simply performs. It costs next to nothing and the difference that you save can go where it really counts.... wheels or a better frame. I have a pretty healthy ego and like to have the best but the reality is that for my level and interest in cycling Ultegra is more than good enough for me. As for the bike as it's set up... and this is no BS, I have yet to go to ANY bike shop where the staff did not positively comment on the bike. I think that speaks volumes on the deal that you can get on ebay with Leader bikes. Now, don't think for a second that I'm not thinking of a Seven or a Merlin or a True North for my next bike.... who knows? Right now, the Leader continues to get full marks. If you are new or reentering cycling (as I was) and don't want to spend a fortune to determine your level of interest then this is the bike for you. I would up grade on the wheels and work your way up to the next level of bike. This Leader bike is a great starting point. I should also add that Leader CS also gets full marks. They were great when I bought the bike... thanks Sal. He answered a bunch of questions and never seemed bored. I took my bike for a tune up and I believe that the mechanic over torqued the seat post and cracked the carbon... Leader replaced no question below cost.. great service when they could have washed their hands of my problem. I guess you can say this is a positive review. Truth be told... i wished i had gone up to the 780 or 785 versions.

Similar Products Used: cannondales, cinelli, nishiki
    seckardt   Recreational Rider [Apr 17, 2004]
    Strength:

-Good quality -Very stiff -Correct geometry for competitive riding -Excellent price/value

-A bit heavy -Head tube/headset bearing surface (see above) -Leader's customer service: when I called regarding some frame & fork questions I was transferred immediately to voice mail, left a message and never reeceived a rerurn call

I just put my first 20 miles on this frame. I am a converted mountain biker, so a "real" road bike is something new for me. With last summer being so wet in the midwest, it forced me to road ride about 70% on my mid 80's Bridgestone 500 and I really took a liking to it, so I decided to explore this road thing a little more. This frame was very easy to build up (w/Campy Veloce & Ritchey WCS) and the craftmanship & quality seem to be very good. It is not an ultra light frame, as the scale at the LBS showed 3.75 pounds, but I also should not have to worry about it cracking half-way through the summer on a standing, big ring climb. The frame is very stiff compared to the 4130 lugged steel Bridgestone and it feels like it will be a good sprinter. The only complaint I have is with the head tube where the integrated headset bearings fit in. This area had high spots around the circumference where the stem bearing race seated. This caused the bearing to 'rock" up & down on one axis kind of like a teeter-totter at a playground. My LBS recommended that I remove the excess material (some of it seemed to be paint build-up), so I broke out the Dremel tool and went to work. This was somewhat nerve-racking since you don't dare remove too much material with the integrated headset design. I was able to remove about 80% of the excess play and the headset did not loosen up over 20 miles of riding on moderately rough roads - so that's a good sign. Other than the head tube/headset issue, which seems to be resolved, I'm very happy so far. I will post another review towards the end of the season.

Similar Products Used: Just a 24 pound mid 80's Bridgestone 500 (lugged steel) that I used when I couldn't ride dirt.