Leader Bike LD-736R Frames

LD-736R

Some will imitate it, wile many others will enjoy the most comfortable best looking and functional full aluminum bike by Leader. Designed and tested in San Diego, California. Constructed from our new U.A.L. aluminum. Down tube is oval at the bottom and is a full 55mm aero at the top. Top tube is oval – bi – oval. Seat tube is sexy semi aero made to accommodate a 31.8mm clamp on front derailleur. Seat and chain stays are tapered s-shaped. This makes the rear super stiff. All this manipulated tubing may look very good but it is highly functional and effective. Say hello to the 2005 smooth riding 736R. Whether you're a crit specialist, double century super stud or you live anywhere in between, this is the bike for you. You can fill every one of your sick little riding needs without breaking the bank.

crispy010   Road Racer [Jan 25, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, ungodly responsive, corners well, stunning near-flawless welds, 100% hydroformed tubing, did I say stiff? Beautiful paint job, and definitely not a bike you see everyday.

Will eventually beat you to death on long rides over rough roads. Not a touring frame by any stretch of the imagination. Low bottom bracket.

I picked this bike up from Craigslist as an upgrade from my Trek 1000. The price I paid could not have covered the full D-A component group alone, so I considered it a good deal.

Like others, I cannot overstate how incredibly stiff this bike is. I test road a full carbon Specialized Tarmac, and it was not much stiffer than the Leader. Stomp on the pedals and this bike will GO!

Make no mistake, this frame has an "R" in its name for a reason - this is a racing frame. It is very stiff, and VERY responsive. The wheelbase is 98.5 cm: on the short side. It definitely verges on being called "twitchy".

On descents and at high speeds though, this bike is rock solid. I've personally had it near 50 mph and it just gets steadier and steadier the faster you go. Through corners, the thing rides like it's on freaking rails - just push on the inside bar and the bike punches straight for the apex. The eagerness with which it goes round corners can be terrifying on steep mountain descents.

Let's talk about those welds. They are, without a doubt, the most perfect, beautiful welds I have ever seen on aluminum anywhere, period, no holds barred. Just the welds themselves are works of art. I get asked every group ride if the frame is carbon, simply because the welds are so smooth.

Cost-wise, for a racing bike, you cannot beat this frame. If/when you wreck and destroy your bike, a replacement frame can be had for a mere $300, as opposed to nearly twice that much for a carbon frame.

Similar Products Used: Trek Alpha 1000
dr.mediocre   Recreational Rider [Jun 11, 2008]
Strength:

Price, Smooth riding but stiff where it matters most (BB and seat stays). Awesome looks, great paint and shape. The frame feels much lighter then my Trek and rides like some of the carbon frames I tested.

None so far.

All of my expectations for this frame were blown out of the water once I built it up. I purchased this frame as a replacement for my cracked Trek 1000 frame. The Leader 736r is by far the better bike. It climbs like a goat and rides more smoothly than any frame I've ever ridden. The matte black paint and shaped aero tubing turn heads and start conversations.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000
spinordie   Road Racer [Sep 25, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff, great for a sprint. Even though it is aluminum it dampens the ride better than my old aluminum frame.

a little heavy, but not bad.

This is much stiffer than the 780r frame. The s-bend seat stays make the ride more smooth than my old Trek 1200, but the sprint is snappy. I have ridden about 100 mile or so on the frame and am happy thus far. I will re-evaluate in 12 months or 10k miles.

chuckmeister57   Recreational Rider [Aug 31, 2007]
Strength:

Price.Ride quality,stiff but not harsh.

None so far.I was lucky not to have the problems listed in the reviews.But i just remembered that idid have a problem pre-loading the headset.The problem was the carbon cap leader sent with the frame.Replaced it with a FSA alloy compression cap.Worked flawless since.

Rode B.R.A.G.[seven days of riding.]Three centurys. .about 1800 miles on this frame. Stiffer and lighter than steel frames.Impresive ride for the money.Thinging of the track frame next.

Similar Products Used: .Rossin record columbus-sl tubing.Bianchi steel.
steven mull   Recreational Rider [Dec 01, 2006]
Strength:

Light stiff fast and very good components for the money

seat bolt

Great looking bike that rides well.Came as a kit so it was fun to put together.Agree with others that the seat post clamp is diffficult to tighten and stripped one allen bolt trying.Suprised at fit considring I bought it online. Friend, who races seriously, helped me put it together and was very impressed.

Similar Products Used: former ride a colnago with campy neuvo record
los318   Road Racer [Oct 20, 2006]
Strength:

stiffness, rare and aero

stiffness to some. nothing wrong w/the bike but I did have a little customer service problem. After my rear Del hanger broke it took 3 times to get the correct one to me. it seems they changed hangers from 05 to 06. Just make sure you make it known what model year you have. this cost me two weeks of training and completely shot my last month of racing. unacceptable for a racer of any Cat. Otherwise, everything else was fine..

nice bike. very stiff. its a bit on the heavy side but that info was given on Leader Website. For the time i had it it worked awsome. Flawlessly. I also got noticed since almost no one has a Leader. I got asked at least once a race where i got it from...nice..

Similar Products Used: trek 2200 and my new Look 565
atedgerton   Road Racer [Aug 20, 2006]
Strength:

Stiffness, looks, price.

Seatpost bolt has to be tightened way down to get the seatpost to stay in place, frame could be lighter.

The frame looks great in black, with the aero tubing not only looking good but providing great performance as well. This frame is super-stiff, and while it may be a tad on the heavy side, as a climber I could still beat the competition up the hills.

Similar Products Used: Leader 735R, Giant TCR aero, Trek 2200.
Stories   Recreational Rider [Jul 01, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff, stiff, stiff in the bottom bracket and head tube. Amazing ride quality.

Heavy. I had to really tighten the seatpost clamp before I could get the seatpost to stay at the right hight.

The LD-736R is an amazing frame that will blow you away. I don’t think anyone who’s ridden aluminum would expect the 736R to ride this smooth. The bike almost feels like a carbon frame. I believe that the ride is due to the wall thickness of the tube-set. The frame isn’t the lightest frame on the planet but it sure uses its weight to its advantage. I believe that the extra girth gives it a much smoother ride then any other oversized aluminum frame out there. I also believe that it adds to its incredibly stiff bottom bracket. The massive down-tube doesn’t hurt either. There’s no doubt about it, this is a steal of deal.

Similar Products Used: Eddie Merckx, Cannondale, Trek, Fondriest, Tsunami
karen e   Road Racer [May 05, 2006]
Strength:

smooth welds, race geometry, pretty darn light! I got the semi-gloss black-nice finish.

the bottom bracket needed to be re-threaded (easy job at the bike shop)

My old frame cracked and I needed a replacement asap-I liked the looks of the Leader 736R and the price. I have put over 2,000 miles on this frame and love it. Defintely a racefeeling to it. The frame geometry allows the rider to pedal dig in efficiently and stay in the drops for long periods. Very responsive in turning. On my limited budget, the best ride one can get for the money and the best ride I had so far!

Similar Products Used: TREK, GIANT
jpauli   Recreational Rider [Mar 29, 2006]
Strength:

Entire design, light weight, smooth welds, fast delivery and price.

Paint in headtube, Seatpost binder bolt missing, Compression bolt, cap and starnut should be furnished with the purchase of the headset through Leader, I had to obtain those at my LBS.
Leader stated they don't provide them if you don't by the fork from them.

The frame is stunning, and light weight. Paint is near perfect but some paint was inside the headtube which had to be removed, decals are straight and clearcoated, and well blended in. The tubes are a work of art, very well designed. The Specialized Allez at my LBS has a simular design, however the welds are not as smooth as the LD-736R. The seat post bolt (was not included with my frame)could indead cause a problem if over torqued, I placed a nylon spacer in the slot to help prevent this, designers should look at that potential problem. As stated by carioca in his review, the headset by cane creek is currently the only one that will match the headtube. I have installed the fork and there appears to be no play in the headset, some have complained of this.
I am utilizing a alloy steerer tube on my Sette ZRO Carbon fork. A potential problem with any carbon steerer could be the stress applied by tightening the stem. While in the process of building up this frame, I will provide more of a review of ride quality and handling.