Leader Bike LD-785R Frames

LD-785R

Carbon construction yields a road frame that is light, incredibly stiff, but still comfortable for the all day ride. The challenges of every frame builder are lugs. Every joint is a potential weak point as well as extra weight. But the hefty advantages of carbon aluminum seamless construction usually comes with a headache of a price. So here it is, the impossible combination of weight, stiffness, comfort and price.

• Example Size: 56cm
  • Bottom Bracket: 68mm inglish
  • Seatpost: 27.2mm
  • Front Derailleur: 31.8mm Clamp On
  • Heat Treated Double Butted U7 Aluminum
  • Integrated Headtube: I6/cc 1 1/8"

• User Reviews (21)

captnfantastic   Road Racer [Feb 27, 2011]
    Strength:

Predictable handling, good looking paint, smoothed out welds

Not the lightest frame ever, but for the price who cares...

I was lucky enough to find this frame on craigslist for like $120, talked the guy down to $50 by pointing out the parts I would need to buy to get it built up (derailleur hanger, headset) From the first ride to every time I ride now, I love this bike. The carbon seat stays are noticeable more comfortable than my all aluminum frames. The handling is snappy. ?I am a sprinter and this thing does not flex at all. If you can get your hands on one I have nothing but good things to say. Carbon bikes have a dead feel to me and I crash too much in races. This is a good bike.

Similar Products Used: Motobecance Le Champ SL
    Giant TCR

bilzee   Recreational Rider [Feb 16, 2009]
    Strength:

Weight, price, looks, stiffness. In this price range it is hard to beat this bike. Colorado Cyclist has a Douglass that is very similar. My buddy has one and loves it. Maybe I will look into it as a replacement. Looked good on Saturday morning group rides even among more expensive and fancy bikes.

Fork wasn't as well balanced as I would have liked. I had to carefully seat wheel to prevent wheel rub.

Stunning beauty out of the shipping box. Not extremely fancy but what do you expect for the price. Hot Ferrari red paint job. Extremely light for the price. Weighed under 17 pounds built with full ultegra. Must have been nice seeing as someone stole it last week. I really enjoyed the bike. I was riding an a full aluminum bike before this one so the carbon really softened the ride. Descents were amazing, climbing was good but I don't enjoy the climb as much as the down hill. As I get older I can afford something nicer but have found I don't have as much time to spend on my bike. My only regret is not upgrading the wheels and giving it a go. I am looking at replacing it with a Giant TCR Advanced or Scott Addict or CR1. Right now I am really digging on the BH G4 but have kids I still have to put through college.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez with 105 groupset
    Old School Schwinn with downtube shifters
    Josh Christian   Road Racer [May 24, 2007]
    Strength:

Stiff, Comfy, fast

None , nada ....Zip!

I bought a Leader Aluminum 58 cm for it's components. It was an all Ultegra 9 spd, Rolf vector pros, Easton carbon seat post and bars..Deeda elite etc,etc,etc...the bike also had some cheesy aero bars and a wireless computer(nice) But I was intent on building up a Fetish frame that I had come into from a friend... I only paid 500.00 for the whole rig. when I got it I jumped on it and right away was knocked out by this 3 year old frame, the build the ride... the quality?????? I sold the fetish frame and bought the discontinued 785r for 389.00, they still have a couple left as of the time I'm wring this... re wrapped the bars, threw on my speedplays, and haven't looked back.
    I see people saying "for the money" I would put this multi material frame up against any Trek, Cannon, Felt or Specialized...at any price. Very comfortable, very light (2.8lbs) super responsive,..acceleration? not to mention it looks deadly!
    unbelievable deal, the nicest people in the world to deal with and a price that leaves me plenty of change for power bars and gummy bears...
    is it a Merlin or Pinarello? No of course not.. but at just under 900.00 I have the nicest rain bike of anyone I know..
    Keep it Rubber side down

Similar Products Used: Basso full carbon
    Merlin, Cervello...
    Chris   Recreational Rider [Mar 04, 2007]
    Strength:

Quality of ride
    Looks
    Price!

Not enough weekends in the year

This bike was my first road bike, so I can't properly compare it to other models; however, I have been commuting almost daily in all weather on it for almost 2 years now, and I love this bike. When I manage to get away for a long rec ride, it has allowed me to keep up with my friends who race on their (much) more expensive Treks and Canondales. A very steady, comfortable ride that is extremely responsive to the effort you put into the pedals.

Similar Products Used: None
    Richard Paradis   Triathlete [Dec 14, 2006]
    Strength:

Price... of course!
    Welds and paint finish are gorgeous.
    A real eye catcher... bike shops are always impressed.

Light and comfortable

Strong climber

I haven't found one.

A few years ago, I decided to get back into cycling. After years away from the sport (I'm a runner who wanted to cross-train), I had the urge to put together an affordable road bike... My wife bought a complete bike from Leader and when I saw the quality, I scrapped the project bike I was building and ordered the Leader 785R the next day! I now have about 5000 miles of training and racing on it. I've done a dozen century rides and around 6 triathlons on it. To prove how thrilled I am with this bike, today I purchased the Leader LD 780TT Tri bike!!!

Similar Products Used: TREK 5500, Colnago, Ciocc
    seth8a   Road Racer [Nov 21, 2006]
    Strength:

I am 5-11, but I like to ride smaller sized frames because I prefer the way they handle in crits and on fast rides. I bought a 55 cm, or "Medium" size and it fit me very well. The long top tube indicates to me that these guys know a lot about bike racing and what most guys need for a good fit.

Honestly, I haven't found any yet.

I'd like to put in a good word for this bike and for this manufacturer. These are great bikes at a great price. The bike accelerates very well, corners well, and is also a very comfortable ride with the carbon seat stays. Perfect combination of attributes. Until I am a sponsored rider with free frames (yeah right) I can't see myself buying anything but Leader bikes.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez Comp, Trek 2300, Reynolds 531 frames, etc.
    kentquirk   Recreational Rider [Jul 18, 2006]
    Strength:

It's stiff under acceleration but very forgiving on the bumps. Very light, too. Fit and finish was fine. The company was great -- I had a minor issue and the company president dealt with it professionally and courteously.

Not popular enough. If you want to be riding the frame that everyone else is riding, this ain't it. But if you want a great frame for a great price, consider it. Also, it only comes in red, and it's a red that doesn't match any other red you've got lying around. Awwww.

I love this frame. It was recommended to me by a bike builder who had one of his own, and he thought I'd like it. I had him build me a bike around it, and I'm thrilled.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Fuji Roubaix
    My choice was custom-build around this, or buy a prebuilt from Trek or Specialized. I got the best deal this way.
    Fitzwell   Road Racer [Nov 04, 2004]
    Strength:

Have approx. 800mi. logged so far, with no gripes. Smooth ride, little (if any) flex, straight tracking, and Leaderbike personnel are the best!

None so far...

Purchased after seeing how happy a few local riders were and couldn't believe the setup for the price. Still amazed at what a solid, well built & great looking bike this is. In awe that a bike of this quality can be had for this price. No corners cut here to make pricepoint. LBS's all wanted to sell the bikes on floor, but these guys worked closely with me to spec. out to what's best for me. Choice of crank & stem legnth, bar width, and gearing made huge difference. Climbing stronger and hanging with pack where never was before. Wish I could say it's all me but have to say this rig has definately been huge factor in my improving performance. Long story short: Great climber, decender, with kick a#@ build kit on great frame = Great all around racer that I can train on too. Read in previous message that getting to actually speak to company owner was plus. Sal is the real-deal who truely wants customers to be happy with their purchase (Priceless!)

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200
    keepitfun   Triathlete [Oct 28, 2004]
    Strength:

You get the handling responsiveness of a Ferrari with the ride of a Lexus. For a great deal.

MY LUNGS & LEGS!!!! I am not sure I will ever be able to completely appreciate this bike and its abilities.

I am not one to give a review unless I have a chance to beat the product up and let me tell you this bike is awesome. I am not sure how they make money compared to some of the other manufactures, but it is if they give you the frame for free. The frame is awesome, not one flaw when I recieved it and is still absolutely perfect after riding on the worst rode in the world this weekend. Reminded me of a gravel driveway on steroids! The Ferrari red with the black carbon is one of the best looking frames I have ever seen, but most importantly it handles like no other bike I have ever ridden. Point it in what ever direction you want and it tracks straight and true. I am 6'3, 210lbs and there is no frame flex while climbing even with the 62cm frame (This is the same as a 60cm Cannondale). As for climbing, I am not sure I have ever ridden a bike that actually feels like this one. It feels like you are actually increasing your speed with every pedal stroke (weird!). If you are in the market and your price max is 2,400 (that included the bontrager race xlites upgrade)this bike is a no brainer. It is that good. By the way, when you buy the bike you actually get to talk with the owner. How often does that happen!