Look 555 Frames

• Full monocoque HSC 5 SL fork
  • Slender-diameter tubing

[Dec 15, 2016]
Larry

Strength:

ride quality, build quality, standard fittings so no need for proprietary LOOK crank, seat post, headset, outstanding finish.

Frame and fork purchased new from a LOOK dealer, completed with Easton EC90 SL bars, Dura Ace group with Fulcrum Racing Torque RS crank, Reynolds 32 carbon wheel set, pearlescent blue and white . My best ride ever. The bike feels lively unlike other carbon frames which are said to have a dead feeling and responds instantly to input. I feel lucky to have purchased while it was available.

[May 01, 2011]
Henry

Strength:

Great price, great ride feel on less than smooth roads, climbs well.

None so far.........

Bought a 2009 Look555 frame from a local over Craigs list, built it with Campy Record 10sp group and Rol Race SL wheels. The bike reduces road buzz, corners with stability and climbs well. I am short and heavy (5'6" and 180lbs) and can lay down the hurt. This frame seems to be able to handle the BB stress well when climbing or out of the saddle sprints. The build is just over 17lbs with the Rols and just under with a set of Campy Zondas.

Trek, Specialized

[Jul 09, 2009]
19woody76

Strength:

LOOKS (red/black/white/carbon...oh my)
stiff, big bang for your buck.

Bit more upright than I expected.

Traded in my Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 for this ride. It is a stiffer ride, climbs a bit better and definitiley moves quicker on the flats. The geometry is more race less plush which suited my riding better. Not as comfy, but I prefer speed

Litespeed Pavia, Felt F55, Cannondale Synapse

[May 26, 2009]
bikeguy168

Strength:

compliant, soak up bumps very well, stiff enough, comfy and not back breaking, good price too, a solid place to start your super bike life

climbs well but there are better climbers out there.

Before this bike, I had a LeMond Versaille. The LeMond was my forst carbon bike and I road it and thought it was a great. Until my friend bought a Look 555 and I tried it...wow, I had to get one myself. I bought one at the same store and strangely, the Large frame rode better than my Medium frame but the Look was light years ahead of my LeMond Versaille. It was very good at going on the flats and the ride is smooth. I later boght 2 Scott addicts, first one was a Scott Addict SL and the another Scott Addict R2. The SL was just light, almost too light and incomparison, the 555 gave a somewhat solid platform, a good thing, when hammering out of the saddle. The R2 was way stiffer ride then than the 555 or the SL, for that matter, but it sure chatters quite a bit on broken pavement but the stiffness paid off when climbing where just about ALL the power was transfered to the forward motion. The 555 was excellent in decent; solid, stable and confidence inspiring. As much as I like the R2, I must say that I wish the R2 rides more forgivingly like the 555 because after a long ride (more than 30 miles), the 555 left me feeling fresh and ready for another 30 miles.

LeMond Versaille, Scott addict SL, R2

[Sep 15, 2008]
Amenh24

Strength:

Prestige bike,
excellent fitting !

bah ?

Great carbon frame

all other carbon frame bikes with ultegra groupset

[Apr 27, 2008]
Brendan McDonnell

Strength:

Stiff, awesome climbing frame. Handles very well, very predictable. extremely comfortable ride.

None to speak of.

Love this bike. Been riding many years, previous bike Cinelli Unica,campy centaur w/scirocco wheels. The 555 is an awesome ride felt the difference from the first peddle stroke. Complete bike weighs in at under 17lbs. very stiff and compliant(I am a 200lb rider),absorbs road buzz especially on chip seal roads. Climbs like a goat. Because of it's stiffness and compliancy I'm able to do longer rides with less fatigue. I would recommend this bike to any one looking to upgrade to carbon. Great frame at this price. I built an awesome bike complete for the price of a higher end Look frameset only.

Initially had an issue with the original fork that came with the frameset. The legs were cut too short and would not allow me to run the Chorus skeleton brakes, the wheel would not fit. Contacted Look and they warranted it without any problem. Upgraded me to an HSC5SL fork,the only difference between the 2007 and 2008 frames.

Rode some other carbon bikes before choosing this one.
Ridley Excaliber next favorite but was able to build this frame for less$.
Colnago Christallo,nice ride but felt a bit nervous.
LaPierre X-light harsh ride for carbon very stiff.
Tommasini nice ride a bit too pricey.

[Apr 17, 2008]
paracer

Strength:

Stiff- this bike is stiffer than past 2 bikes--- listed below. responsive and has a great fit for me---- it is little more up right than most

a tad heavy

The 555 is a team issue frame and fork for the race team I am on. This is my 3rd full carbon bike as in many years. Though I was worried when originally getting this bike, it's Look's entry level frame set. I almost assumed that it would be a bad ride. I was wrong.

Devinci CX SL
Trek Madone 5.9 SL

[Apr 15, 2008]
longbowhunter89

Strength:

The quality of the ride. I had gotten about 5 miles from the house the first time I rode the bike, and the bike felt "soft" on the bumps and terrain. I pulled over and got off...KNOWING I had a flat. The tires were fine!! The bike was just absorbing the road that well.
Price....more bang for the buck.

I have not found any.

I love this bike!! I was bit leary about giving up my Colnago titianium bike for a carbon bike, but the paint scheme fit the design I was looking for. I have the Pink (oops.."rose") and white frame. I can say that it is the best riding bike I have ridden to date. Love it! And the price is good as compared to others.

Specialized Allez
Colnago Ovalmaster

[Mar 30, 2008]
tolleyman

Strength:

Price has got to be the greatest asset here. Full carbon frame and forks including headset and seat clamp for $1000. Look quality is awesome, finish is superbe. Ride comfort is very improved over aluminum frames.

None I can think of. I suppose its a little on the short side, front to back that is, compared to some frames. A more racer oriented position, but I became accustom to it very quickly.

Very pleased with what this frame gives you for the money. I would reccommend this to anyone.

Specialized Allez
Specialized Sequoia

[Feb 14, 2008]
funknuggets

Strength:

Weight for the price
Aggressive
No overly notable flex issues

Not a huge fan of this integrated headset

I got this bike after my Look381i failed. I was initially a bit annoyed at the fact that it did not follow the traditional 481/381 laid back geometry, but instead this bike had a semi compact, shorter tt feel. Therefore the next few weeks dialing this sucker in were a bit sketchy. After a full season of racing however, I like it. Its light, feels a bit tighter turning (shorter WB) and actually has seemingly thrown me a bit more over the pedals which has resulted in some seated power gains. The finish is impeccable, and I have had no issues whatsoever with anything else on the frame... and I ride it hard. Im pretty neutral on the HSC5 fork, but Im real happy with it laced to ksyrium sls and dura ace.

Look 381i