Look 585 Frames

Steve R   Road Racer [Nov 24, 2014]
Strength:

Perfect blend of comfort and perfomance. Precise handling.

None.

Ive read all the favorable reviews for the 585 on this and others and decided to find a used LOOK 585 in good condition to see what all the fuss was about. I must admit, it's a fantastic frame. I built it with brand new Campagnolo Record 11 speed and think it's the equal of some of the finer bikes ever made. I handles precisely, but without being twitchy. It's comfortable, but not noodly. And it's stiff without being harsh. I can't think of anything I'd change. These frames can be purchased on the used market for a small fraction of a new carbon frame and they're worth every penny (assuming you get a healthy one). I like the 585s better than current LOOKs because they use a standard BB shell, and accept a commonly found 27.2 seatpost.

Similar Products Used: Pinarello, Pegoretti, Independent Fab, DeSalvo, Merckx
jps   Recreational Rider [Dec 09, 2012]
Strength:

Handling, ride quality, weight, looks great

Like all reviews state: this bike is amazing. It's light with perfect balance and holds the corner
effortlessly. Climbs great also and is fast on flats and very forgiving. Perfect carbon bike!

Similar Products Used: Scott CR1, bianchi carbon, giant, de rosa
axel23   Recreational Rider [Mar 16, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, comfort, handling.

Nothing I can think of. Not as sleek as certain other carbon frames? Maybe. Doesn't matter from a ride perspective.

One of the best all-around bikes I've ridden - maybe THE best. Thought I was forever committed to ti. Other carbon frames seemed not to handle very well, or were too stiff for longer rides on rougher roads. The 585 is a dream. In fairness, I've only taken about ten rides but absolutely no complaints.

Similar Products Used: Ti, steel, aluminum. None compare - not even the ti.
colnago8888   Road Racer [Feb 23, 2011]
Strength:

Very very precise handling, stiff, yet comfortable.

I wish the seatpost diameter was larger than 27.2, but not a big issue.

I can describe the ride as being very PRECISE. I have ridden carbon frames in the past (Ride Blue RC7), and after reading all the reviews, I thought I was going to be biased towards the frame, but I can tell you right now, I am definitely biased. I LOVE the set-up. The bike built up to 15.5 lbs with pedals and Polar CS600 mounts/sensors and the computer and water bottle cages.

I have a Colnago CT2 HP with the same grouppo and it weights 17.5 lbs. I went for comfort with the saddle, but I can probably drop another pound by changing the saddle and going with Nokon cables. I wasn't going for the lightest build, but I am definitely impressed with the handling and compliant ride. I do have to get used to the way it handles around corners. As a climbing bike, it is very responsive especially on short bursts with no wasted energy.

Similar Products Used: Blue RC7, Colnago CT2HP, Colnago Dream HP.
slegros   Road Racer [Nov 30, 2010]
Strength:

Well balanced, light. Everything seems to be in just the right measure. Stiff but not harsh, very comfortable, good handling and predictable, but not at all twitchy. Everything in good balance with no bad traits..

Umm... Its old??

I bought this frame used of Ebay, and it became my daily rider. I've had a ton of frames come and go but this is the one that stays built up and gets ridden. For what I paid for it, and how good it is, I just can't seem to justify switching to a more expensive frame.

Similar Products Used: Look 585 Ultra, 595, 595Ultra, Pinarello FP7, Dogma.
PETER MARTLING   Recreational Rider [Apr 29, 2010]
Strength:

HIGH SPEED CORNERING AND ALL AROUND RIDE QUALITY. PAINT AND FINISH IS GREAT.

NONE THAT I HAVE ENCOUNTERED.

IN MY 45 YEARS OF RIDING THIS FRAME IS THE BEST. IT CLIMBS WELL, CORNERS ON RAILS,AND LEAVES YOU FEELING GREAT AFTER MANY MILES. I HAVE OWNED EVERYTHING FROM STEEL TO TITANIUM, BUT THIS LOOK CARBON FRAME IS THE BEST BY FAR. WISH I WAS YOUNGER AND STRONGER, BUT I STILL ENJOY MY 5000 MILES PER YEAR IN THE SADDLE.

Similar Products Used: NONE LIKE THIS.
twiggy73   Recreational Rider [Mar 22, 2010]
Strength:

Quality build
Light, Tube and lug construction
There is a reason they are still using this technology

ME

Well All I can say is that all the reviews I have read about this frame are true. It is amazing. I test rode a few others cannondale hi mod 1 and trek 5.2 but this frame just ticked all the boxes for me. Vertically compliant allowing you to feel the road not the frame and at the same time very responsive in the drive train, amazingly fast, climbs extremely well ( the motor is the only excuse here) and most of all I have found that it is extremely well balanced and really does corner like it is on rails especially at high speed. It has increased my confidence to descend and most of all given me a renewed appreciation of how carbon frames should feel. Someone here said that you should buy a bike that makes you want to get out of bed on those cold winter mornings. Well for me this is that bike I love it

Similar Products Used: Look Kg 86
bikeosprey   Recreational Rider [Dec 11, 2009]
Strength:

Does it all so well, strong in all areas, and so absorbing.
I also have the Look carbon bars.

Great wheels must be used on this great frame, it brings out the best in all the comps.

As all have said, this frame is magic, it does it all so well. You are never tired after rides, just a smooth absorption yet all the road feel you need, amazing. It is like the sound and feel you get on closing a top model Mercedes door. I am 58 and have owned and ridden countless bikes including a 08 Prince, this one is magic.

Similar Products Used: Colnago, Pinarello, S-Works, Trek, Fuji, Lemond, dozen steel bikes.
cali guy   Triathlete [Jul 14, 2009]
Strength:

Love the white finish. Love the front fork. Super tight on turns.

Not an aerodynamic frame. Not sure if I like compact carbon cranks. Need more speed downhill and I think I'd prefer the rigidity of the DA aluminum crank.

15 lb bike including pedals. Rides great and is on rails around corners. No noticeable frame flex and I'm 5'8" 180lbs. I could ride this on a century without complaints and my last bike was titanium. All your power goes to the street when you're up out of the saddle.