Pegoretti Cicli 2004 LUIGINO Frames

albeant   Recreational Rider [May 22, 2005]

Handling, handling, handling. Obscenely sweet steel fork. EL-OS tubing. Magic road feel, both stiff and supple. Rare & pretty. Demonic cornering. Did I mention the handling?

Pricey if you buy retail, but understandable given that it's made by one craftsman in the "first world." Too heavy for serious racing. Paint not as chip-resistant as some US premium paint jobs.

I don't usually review products unless I have very strong feelings about them, and the Luigino definitely inspires strong feelings. This bike is no lightweight, but the road feel and handling are sublime. My road rides typically involve steep climbs and steep, technical descents, and I can't imagine a better bike for this kind of riding. The front end geometry is balanced & neutral on steep, out-of-the-saddle climbs, and the bike descends and corners like nothing I've ever ridden. It loves to rail high-speed hairpin turns, and it never gets squirrelly, even when you need to make a line correction when leaned over at speed. BTW, the Campy dropouts allow some chainstay-length adjustability, and, against current trends, I've found that the further back I clamp the rear wheel, the better the bike handles. If you have/get one, please, please, please don't put a carbon fork on it. The gods of cycling will be angered, and you'll be taking a giant step down in ride quality.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Road Logic, Masi 3V, Serotta Atlanta, Ti bikes, Cannondale (yuck)...