Scattante Airplane Frames

Airplane

• The Airplane tubeset is Columbus' highest production tubeset, here mated to a genuine Columbus Carve carbon monostay/seatstay assembly, and Columbus Carve carbon fork. Finer details include the new barrel-shaped bottom bracket, teardrop profiled top and downtubes, integrated headset, and replaceable derailleur hanger.

• User Reviews (9)

Kevin Flechel   Recreational Rider [Nov 25, 2011]
    Strength:

Stiff,yet smooth ride. Loosened up with age a tad, but still does everything well! If you didn't know it was not made in Italy, you couldn't tell.

Nada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last 62cm frame bought in 2002, gorgeous Cab Metalic red built with Campy 10 spd mix.(All on this site-Record for Veloce $$) Every time I hop on it--Still AMAZING!!Built up in 2006, it's still a ROCKETSHIP. If it had big name on it, would add a thousand minimum 2 price.

Similar Products Used: Cinelli Proxima. This was a great value, but AIRPLANE ROCKS it out of universe!
    Pensack   Recreational Rider [Aug 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Stiff BB for acceleration. Beautiful paint job. Replaceable derailleur hanger. Superb welds. Comfortable ride (at 190 lbs). Great seatpost.

Weird brake bolt nut stops. Front derailleur cable rattles on downtube (fixed with rubber tape on frame). Aluminum steerer on fork.

Purchased because it was a bargain, I have no complaints about handling, acceleration, stability, paint quality, or weld quality. The frame was very straight, and rides and tracks beautifully. At 190 lbs, the frame is moderately stiff to ride. Caution to lighter riders. Frame weight was low, and produced a 17.5 lb bike with only moderately expensive components (not much Dura Ace or C. Record). The longer top tube fits me like a glove, and the sloping top tube eliminated any need for headset stack-height spacers because of the longer head tube. I was dubious about the integrated headset, but it's proven quite durable--not a single "nick" in the turning, yet. Quite a deal. I understand it's no longer available, but it would be a coup to find one used.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R900 Specialized M2 Road "sample" pre-production OS alum.frame.
    nacnac3   Recreational Rider [Dec 26, 2002]
    Strength:

Stiff, responsive and comfortable!

Havent found one yet.

Great bike! I absolutely love it! Best value out there--easily compares to bikes in the $3000 range. Stiff enough to handle my size and yet still comfortable! You cant go wrong with this bike. Get one if you still can!

Bob Pr   Recreational Rider [Jun 29, 2002]
    Strength:

Great price. Fast, stiff, and stable at speed.

No-name brand. Decals seem of questionable quality.

I've been riding the same road bike since 1983 and had been more into mountain biking for the past 10 or so years. I wanted something relatively affordable, reasonably lightweight and a decent climber to get me back on the road. If a name brand isn't important to you, this is a lot of bike for the money. Before deciding to buy, I comparison shopped similar frames that included Airplane tubing with Columbus Carve fork and seatstays. You can expect to pay twice this amount or more for a frame from one of the big names. The ride is stable, stiff and very smooth. The carbon rear stay and fork makes the bike surprisingly comfortable - much more so than some much more expensive aluminum bikes I test road without the carbon seat stay. Even though I'm a heavy rider, the bike makes climbing a joy and descends at speeds of 40 mph plus comfortably. The paint finish is quite attractive and the welds and build quality are more than acceptable. I couldn't be happier with the ride and quality and I got a lot more bike than I thought I could at this price point.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Otis175   Recreational Rider [May 02, 2002]
    Strength:

Value, ride and looks.

The top tube is a bit long for me so I had to purchase a shorter stem than the one it was spec''d with to .

This bike has exceeded my expectations by far! Beautiful paint job, nice stiff frame, carbon stays and fork, Ultegra for only $1500. I was really worried about having purchased a "catalog bike", but when I took my first ride al thos worries went out the window. This bike is just an amazing value.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez
    Starman   Recreational Rider [Dec 28, 2001]
    Strength:

Stiff in BB, good handler (adequate trail), excellent climber, great paint finish, very clean welds, light weight

Aluminum fork steerer, more side-to-side flex in fork than front-to-rear, strange brakebolt nut stops, F.Der cable rattles against downtube

Frame is a superb climber and is stiff enough for my 190 lbs. Might be a little harsh for a 110 lb rider. Geometry is not long in the wheelbase, but slightly long on top for comfort in long road racing or for a long armed or long torsoed rider. Sloping top tube requires a little more length in seatpost, but the 7075 post provided filled the bill. Runs straight and descends like it''s on rails. Why pay twice or more for a similar frame from Italy and get bad welds or sloppy paint? Recommended--especially in the wine red metallic finish (beautiful!).

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R900, Custom Aluminum frame
    Buddy   Recreational Rider [Oct 09, 2001]
    Strength:

Stiffness and responsiveness. Price.

Steering is a bit twitchy for my taste.

I purchased this frame because I was itchin'' for a new frame. When I was at Supergo I had the Cinelli Aliante in one hand and the Scattante Airplane in the other. I decided on the Scattante for the price and I have no regrets at all. The more miles I put on it the more and more I love this frame. I am a heavier rider and I am working on shedding the xtra lbs. and my bike now really makes it more fun. This frame has no side to side flex when I "stomp" on it and it is very responsive when accelerating uphill or from a stoplight. The carbon seatstays soak up alot of the bumps. It also looks cool with my Spinergy XAero''s. The frame even came with touch up paint ! At the $749 + tax that I paid it is a bargain.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale CAAD 3 and 4, Argon 18
    nestorl   Road Racer [Sep 28, 2001]
    Strength:

Now I understand what people mean when they say that a bike “just wants to go fast”. It is so responsive I actually had to get used to it. The first time I got off the saddle after a red light I almost fell because I was not expecting the response. The bike is also amazingly smooth compared to my old Cdale, and I admit that it looks great too. This bike is worth much more than the $740 Supergo.com charges for it. The fork alone is a $250 item so you are actually getting a columbus airplane frame for $500…that is just laughable. Here are others who ride columbus Airplane: MAPEI, RABOBANK, COFIDIS, FESTINA, EUSKATEL, KELME-CREDIT AGRICOLE. Check this website: http://www.columbustubi.com/english/alluminio/index.htm

The welds are not as smooth and my old Cdale.

When I was in college I used to drive a little mitsubishi mirage. One summer my GF and I worked as nannies for a very rich family. Every time we had to take the kids out they asked us to use their BMW because of its safety record. The first time I drove that machine I could not believe it. The power, the smoothness, the control…what a beautiful machine. Well, when I rode the Scattante Airplane for first time I had the same experience. I used to ride a c’dale cadd2 with all dura ace and good wheels but the difference once I rode the airplane was HUGE!!!. The people at my LBS were all excited about the bike, especially because of the high-end materials used and the price. They showed me all other ‘brand name’ bikes with the same tubing and carbon stays and they were all at least two times more expensive.

Similar Products Used: Cdale Cadd2 & 4.
    Robert   Road Racer [Aug 07, 2001]
    Strength:

Excellent workmanship, good clean welds. The replaceable derailleur hanger is an excellent treat. The sloping top tube is a nice feature if you like that style. Came with seatpost, headset, Columbus Carve fork (alu steerer).

No chainstay bridge, the rear end would be a lot stiffer with this little piece of metal connecting the chainstay.

Great climber, the carbon rear and fork actually muffled some of the road vibrations. The long top tube is also great for positioning - you can have a slightly shorter stem as the top tube is longer than your average "off-the-shelf" frameset.