Scattante SC-R Scandium Frames

Head Tube Angle (degrees): 72º
Seat Tube Angle (degrees): 75º

[Apr 03, 2018]
cyclingcheffy

Strength:

I bought a used one, completely built in 2015. I was a little skeptical, as it is a rather obscure brand. I had seen the odd one mentioned in cycling magazines, and knew that it was a house brand of Performance Bikes. When I saw that it was built up with Dura-Ace, weighed only 16 lbs, and noticed that the entire frame was built by Easton, I thought it was worth a shot, considering the very reasonable price the owner was asking. It has not disappointed! It handles very well, is stiff, accelerates like a frightened cat, and has not failed me in about 10,000 km of riding the past 3 years. It's comfortable on long rides, as it absorbs road shock admirable with the Easton carbon forks. A great find, that feels and rides like many bikes that one could pay 2 to 3 times the price for! Based on a review I read here that describes one with the same components and same colour as mine, and other research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that mine is a 2004 model. (The previous owner also bought it used, so did not know).

Maybe the name. Nobody has heard of it; or they ask if it's some fancy Italian brand! Also, the Weyless carbon seatpost did snap in half on me last year; but considering it was about 13 years old at that point, I wasn't too concerned. Easy to replace.

Price Paid:
950.00
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2004
[Nov 21, 2017]
Brian Green

Strength:

light weight, comfortable ride

seat tube cracked at the bottom bracket after 3k miles. I weigh about 170-175 lbs.

That's pretty much it. Supergo had sold out to Performance. They honored the warranty and gave me a Scatantte aluminum frame which cracked in the same place a year later. They honored that by giving me a Kestral Talon.

[Apr 25, 2009]
k. halstad

Strength:

SC-R frame. Dura Ace 7800 group. All else is Easton EC90.
Bike weighs 14.6 pounds.

I've had this bike for 6 years. It has a little over 6,000 miles. It can still go from 10mph to 30mph in seconds. It's the fastest break-a-way bike I have ever ridden, heard about, or read about. All the equipment is still original(except tires) to the day I bought it. I can lift the bike with one finger.

Lemond, K2, Cannondale.

[Nov 03, 2007]
Enrique

Strength:

15.3lbs, smooth and strong. very natural feel, it allows you to ride without making you force the issue. 6 hours in and you will fail before the road beats you up.

that people ask me how to pronounce the name.

Wow. I love my bike. I have raced this bike to several local top finishes and put a couple thousand miles on it smooth frame. I just got a pair of carbon wheels so I can't wait for next season.

other bikes that cost more and weight more

[Jun 02, 2005]
ooxbox

Strength:

Take the corner tight, or from the outside either way you can balance yourself with the riders around you.... the bike lets your skill take over and doesn't impart the partiality of the builder. Its your attitude not the bike..or builders. Nice feel of steel not aluminum..but better! tremendous value and handsome looks for any bike, let alone an off brand. Also Supergo was awesome when I called with a question about the Easton seat stay and scratch on one of the rims. I just wanted to notify them of the shippers competence and they offered a new bike, wow ! I'm keeping this one happily...

the weakness???? mine for not having discovered this material before and having been a snob about labels... Oh and Supergo may not continue the model... call get one... satisfaction guaranteed!!!!!!!!! Salsa has one as well. but I havent seen it

I wanted to try the Easton Scandium without the $2,200 price tag of a custom frame. Spoke with the tech people at Supergo who assured me of the quality of their Taiwan connection and their satisfaction guaranteed policy. So with Supergos weekend sale I bought a complete bike and WOW ! Stable, neutral attitude.. it lets you tell it what to do and and does it ..jump railroad tracks or road debris in NH etc....its faster then I am right now, but very forgiving, the components were a complete surprise not the best but damn good....and the price for the bike was a gift.

Grand Record,Roberts,Sachs,Roberts,Time Carbon,Olmo team steel,Canondale Team Saeco, Serrota steel,2 Serrota titanium ...SCATTANTE !!!!!!!!!!

[Feb 12, 2005]
xzarterius

Strength:

Nothing can compare to the price. Highest quality materials. Best fork available.

Nothing yet.

I just built this frame up 2 weeks ago and I must say that for the money, I challenge anyone to beat it. Easton scandium with an Easton carbon seat stay plus a Reynold Ouzo Pro fork all for $499? For the 5 rides I have ridden with it, it seems to absorb most road vibration with ease. Extremely stiff at the BB and climbs very well.

To many to list

[Jan 06, 2005]
Miah St.Georges

Strength:

Nothing I havent found in other name brand bikes.

It was twitchy at first and then it completely failed less than a month into use. Junk really.

I rode a super cheap scattante last year as a rain bike and was suprised how decent it was however this year I bought the sc-r scandium carbon bike which really stunk. It was very twitchy compared to other bikes I've ridden however I was able to overlook that and figured a new fork would solve that problem. Before I had the chance though the frame cracked completly through at the chainstays and not even at the weld but right in the middle of the aluminum tubing. I was going about 25mph and the wheel was forced into the frame which burned a huge gash in the frame. It was unnerving to say the least. I only rode it for a month I weigh 165lbs so this really shouldn't have happened. I took it back to supergo and they refunded me.

scattante xrl which has been great as my rain bike for two years. I paid 200$ for it and it was worth it.

[Nov 23, 2004]
baha_boater

Strength:

Low weight, my fully built 54CM bike weighs less than 16 lbs with a water bottle cage, real seat, training tires/tubes and pedals. It climbs like crazy due to the light weight and excellent power transfer. On the flats you can hit 30 mph easy just by getting into a tall gear and standing and sprinting. Overall the bike handles corners flawlessly even under breaking. The paint color and graphics are attractive although I could do with a little less graphics, a nit.

Paint has a few small wrinkles, generic name that some might be uncomfortable with.

I bought this frame when they dropped the price to $699. How could you pass up a sub 2.5 lbs frame made out of the latest high tech materials. I have used Easton products for many years and have never had less than a positive experience so I figured what the heck at this price what to I have to loose. The frame arrived 3 days after I ordered it well packed. There was not any spec or installation instructions for the FSA headset so I contacted Supergo just to be sure what looked right really was. The tech support was great. They sent me to the correct web site to find the information and followed up the next day to ensure I found what I needed. Overall I was very impressed with the frame. True there are a few wrinkles in the paint her and there but you really have to look to fine them. The Easton fork and stays are first rate. I moved my build kit over from my existing frame in an evening and was out riding the following afternoon. I agree with the comment about power being transmitted directly to the rear wheel. I have ridden a thick tubed Motobecane Le Team Champion (2.7 lbs) for the past year and a half and I was really surprised how much stiffer this frame is in the bottom bracket. It almost feels like it is gear driven, yet it rides much smoother, broken pavement is well muted, on smooth roads the bike almost disappears beneath you. This is with 145 lbs air pressure in the tires. Overall I cannot see how you could get much more frame at any price. To be fair I have never ridden a $3000 plus high end frame but what they could do that much better that justifies $2300 or more dollars I can not imagine. The only thing I can think of is that you are not self confident enough that you need the label to feel good about your ride. I don't.........

Lotus, Giant TCR1, Nishiki Tri-A, Cannondale R1000, Motobecane Le Team Champion

[Oct 23, 2004]
srosburg

Strength:

Super light Top-notch fork, headset and seatpost included Climbs like a goat Stable and confident descending

None so far

I bought this frame to replace an outdated Specialized Allez Epic Carbon, which was a little bit too flexible for me. I am extremely satisfied with this frame; it does everything better than my old one. It is feather light, climbs extremely well, and descends with abosolute confidence. Everything about this frame is top of the line, from the Easton EC 90 fork to the Weyless team carbon seatpost -- even the paint job is top-notch. I couldn't be happier, and highly recommend it to anyone who is leary of a "Scattante" frame just because of the misperception that it's junk because of the name. I would be willing to stack this frame against any other costing twice what I paid.

[Sep 16, 2004]
pooh bear

Strength:

Performance, finish, value.

What does "Scattante" mean anyway?

I bought this frame to replace my Trek 5200 carbon frame (I drove into my garage with the Trek on the roof - ouch). I was worried about switching from carbon to metal, and also about going to a relatively unknown brand. No worries anymore - this is an exceptionally good frame! It is light and stiff with really snappy response, but the ride isn't harsh like many conventional aluminum frames. The paint job is an elegant, understated metallic grey-green, and is flawless. The frame alone was worth the price I paid, but it also came with an Easton EC90 SL fork (wickedly beautiful) worth $300 , an FSA headset with carbon spacers and star nut, and a surprisingly good, light Weyless full carbon seatpost ($85 separately). The fit and finish of the frame are top-drawer, all the milling, fittings and threading are right on, which made for an easy build. And the ride... wow! You step on the pedals and snap forward, but at the same time the frame sucks up road vibration and the ride is really smooth. On fast downhills and hard cornering there are no surprises - no shimmies or bad vibrations, this frame just goes where you point it with handling that really inspires confidence. Highly recommended even at Supergo's regular price (usually around $850). This is a truly top-end racing frame, and not just at this price - it is good no matter what you compare it to at any price. Buy it - you won't regret it!

Specialized, Trek 5200