Soma Fabrications Smoothie ES Frames

Smoothie ES

• Reynolds 631 air-hardened steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end
  • Less aggressive road sport geometry
  • Rear rack & fender mounts.
  • Designed with 57mm reach caliper brakes in mind. Fits a 32c tire with fenders
  • Optional carbon fork or steel fork available. Both have fender eyelets.
  • 1-1/8" size headtube - w/ extra extension so you use less spacers
  • 27.2mm post size
  • 11 sizes: 46cm to 66cm
  • 4.0 lbs. (54cm)

• User Reviews (11)

Houckster   [Feb 04, 2018]
    Pros: I purchased this frame late last year. It comes in a beautiful Pacific Blue. Overall, this is a great frame. It is delivered in near ready condition though I took it to a bike shop to have the head tube and bottom bracket checked for proper tolerances. They were very close but some additional work was a good investment. I also bought the matching ES steel fork. It is comfortable but with a stable bottom bracket. I've set it up with a Shimano triple crankarm set. Everything works with regard to the fundamental bike functions.
    Cons: I bought this frame to use for both training and endurance rides. One of the key functions of such a bike is to accept a rear rack. The bosses are there but they are placed much too low so that a side pull brakes completely blocks the left rack boss. Consequently it was necessary to purchase some center-pull brakes (Gran Compe 610s) to gain access to the left boss and even then attaching a rack is hard. Another problem is that the brake bridge is so low that mounting a fender with a 32mm tire (Compass Stampede) is just about impossible forcing me to go to a much less satisfactory 28mm tire. Raising the rack bosses another 1-1.5" (as is done with the Soma Smoothie) would be a major improvement as would providing a bit more clearance for the rear fender by redesigning the fender mount on the brake bridge. This bike is actually a natural for cantilever brakes.
    Price: $400   New/Used: New   Year Purchased: 2017
    Steve Harvey   Recreational Rider [Feb 24, 2014]
    Strength:

Great ride, better quality tubing than Surly Pacer. Comes without fork for more options. It is hard to find a bike like this now, and they use to be very common.

Wish it had a pump peg and a external collar, but this is minor.

The Soma ES is what was most common type of bike back in the 70's, the sport tourer. It rides stable, comfortable, and is fast enough. It is a better choice for recreational riders who have no plans on racing. At the end of the day you body is less likely to be sore. At 56 this matters.

Similar Products Used: Lemond steel frame, Fuji, Performance, all with similar frames for 30 years.
    jthurber80   Recreational Rider [Apr 18, 2010]
    Strength:

Well constructed. Strong. Good geometry (individual choice, of course). Nice paint!

IRD fork was heavy - but the stock frame is awesome. Needs rear fender brackets (by bottom bracket). Drop outs could be better constructed but, so far, no problem.

I saw a SOMA Smoothie Frame at Bicycle Outfitters in Los Altos and thought it was one of the nicest looking frames I'd seen. So I ordered one. It's very well put together and fit me perfectly. I've done multiple centuries and one double-century and survived. I give it a 100 percent recommendation.

It's also an outstanding commuter bike, carrying teaching books and student papers to / from work on a daily basis.

The mountain gearing was selected as this (nearly 60 year old) ancient body struggles to enjoy the Woodside / Coastal mountains. The 22 x 36 cassette might seem too low but it works very well, permitting an average level touring speed of between 16 and 20 mph with reasonable cadence. The advantage of the mountain gearing is that if I take the SOMA off-road, it's not such a big deal.

Similar Products Used: LeMond Zurich, Surly Long Haul Trucker
    ab138501   Commuter [Dec 26, 2009]
    Strength:

The Soma Smoothie ES comes in 11 sizes. I'm 6'5" tall. The 64cm Soma Smoothie ES frame allows me to get a perfect fit without going to a custom-built frame. Excellent geometry. Smooth, stable, comfortable, and fast too. The Soma Smoothie ES has lots of braze-ons for fenders and racks.

The Soma Smoothie ES is an awesome bike. The build quality is great. It comes in 11 sizes. The geometry yields a comfortable and fast ride. It has room for wider tires. It has braze-ons for fenders and a rear rack. The price is very reasonable. Riding it is a joy!

Similar Products Used: Peugeot PH10LE
    Schwinn Super Sport SE
    Bottechia SL
    De Bernardi Zona
    Jeffrey B. Skubi   Recreational Rider [Jul 16, 2008]
    Strength:

I PREFER STEEL TO OTHER FRAME MATERIALS. The Soma "ES" frame builds into a very comfortable, mile-eating bike. The wheelbase is a long 1027mm so the Soma ES tracks exceptionally well without conscious rider attention. Rivendell on the cheap.

ES 58cm frame feels "short" relative to other 58cm framed bikes I own. This is likely attributable to the 73 degree head angle and the long fork. I use a l20mm stem to get the 'bar out there at sufficient distance. This "weakness" comment is not a biggie; just build around it. But as Somas are usually bought as frames you should be aware of the subjective feel.

I have two road bikes on which I ride Centuries in Florida and nearby Georgia and Alabama: My Soma Smmothie ES and a Jamis Quest. Both are steel, light, shock absorbing, long wheelbase and comfortable. Both are set up with Shimano 105 components. I can ride them both fast, with the Jamis Quest being slightly faster covering 100 miles. (I have reviewed the Jamis Quest separately.) I like the IRD steel fork. First, it projects quite a distance above the 170mm head tube, longer than the available carbon forks, which yields a distinctly head up riding position which is easy on my neck and back. IRD steel fork also absorbs road shocks well. You BUY a SOMA ES because you want to take it easy on your body relative to trendy "race geometry" frames.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Quest and Specialized Roubaix Triple. I prefer the Jamis Quest and Soma ES to the Roubaix.
    bigbill   Commuter [Mar 02, 2008]
    Strength:

Bang for the buck
    Finish
    Customer service, after a while.

Weight, if that matters.
    Seat tube water bottle bosses are low like a cross bike. Too low for me to use.

I bought an ES in 2005 for a commuter. I really liked the finish, it exceeded my expectations for the price point. The fork is a boat anchor, but it matches the frame and I am not overly concerned with weight. I used it daily for around 20 months in tropical Hawaii with no rust issues. One morning on the way to work, the frame snapped at the drive side rear dropout. Soma offered to repair the frame under warranty. The frame was sent to a frame shop and repaired. The frame was returned unpainted with bare metal. I was not satisfied with the repair and after a few weeks of being ignored, I finally got a new frame. The frames are built and painted overseas. I have no doubts about the quality of the repair, I just expected the frame to be repainted where the repairs were made.

The frame that broke was a 631 and the replacement was Tange. I haven't ridden the new frame. The frames need quite a bit of prep work before building up.

I would buy a Soma frame again.

Similar Products Used: Gunnar Crosshairs
    Erik Ewald   Road Racer [May 30, 2007]
    Strength:

Basic geometry is right in the sweet spot. 73 degree parallel, 43cm chain stays, 70mm BB drop… throw in extra beefy rear triangle tubes and you get a solid spirited ride with just the right balance of handling, stiffness and comfort. Slightly extended head tube allows bars to match seat height without looking goofy. No alignment or fit and finish issues – a smooth build. Welds are exceptionally clean and uniform and the paint is too, including a nice clear coat over the decals.

IRD fork is tight, making fender mount w/ 32c Pasela a challenge.
    Should have threaded bosses at chain stay and under rear brake bridge for fender mount.
    Should have a head tube pump nipple

Early this spring I began searching the market for a frame. I wanted a Randonnuering design for long distance comfort, a bike I could ride in the spring when my lack of fitness limits enjoyment of an aggressive racing position. I wanted to have the handlebars at the same height as the saddle, room for fenders and 32mm tires, provisions for rack and fenders, something suitable for commuting, running errands, centuries, double centuries, and maybe even PBP! Riding a full on race bike like my Serotta Legend Ti is great when I’m in terrific shape and want to go out for a hard charging 20-60 miler, but as I get older, aggressive riding is less frequent. I’m not going to do loaded touring, the bikes I’ve tried of that design feel sluggish and boring. I didn’t want to give up a spirited fun ride.

So what’s out there to choose from? A Specialized Sequoia – limited tire/fender clearance, prefer steel. The Rivendell Rambouillet would have been a top choice but wasn’t in my budget for this project. Surley, Kogswell, Gunnar, Comotion - either the geometry wasn’t perfect or the price wasn’t in range.

I’ve had my Smoothie ES on the road for a month now. I knew on the first ride that I was going to love this bicycle, and after five hundred miles I couldn’t be happier.

astroclimb   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2007]
    Strength:

STABLE. What more can I say?

Oh, and price!

Nice ride, more stable than my 'race' bike. Certainly heavier than same, comparatively it makes some difference (few mins.) on my commute (it is hilly here w/~1,000' climb on my 12 mi commute).

Welds are neatly done, paint looks good with a nice bright blue color.

Steel fork is heavy at >2 lbs (my measurement).

The frame itself was a quite reasonable weight (4 lbs) for medium-sized steel.

May lack the 'sex appeal' of high-end or custom steel frames--but then I can't/won't afford to pay for it anyway.

Not being particulary verbose, I'd say if you're looking for a steel touring/commuting/all-purpose road bike, give the Smoothie ES your serious consideration!

Paid $300 for frame w/IRD steel fork, HS, F. Der. & long-reach brakes

I've got ~250 mi. on it, mostly in the hills/mountains of northern NM. It rides nicely, quite stable, which is what I was looking for. Is the Tange Prestige steel smoother than my Wilier Mortirolo scandium? I donno, probably, but I'm certainly more comfortable with pack on my back full 'o work stuff.

Similar Products Used: S-Works CX was my commuter for the last couple 'o years.
    Divn2it   Recreational Rider [Mar 10, 2007]
    Strength:

Reasonably light and agile, very stable. Handles a wide variety of tires, racks, panniers, fenders. Great for folks who are going to have one bike.

I bought this bike fully built up - it was the last floor model for 2006, and I'm really enjoying it.I got to take it for a two hour test drive and found the steel provides a nice smooth ride and the more relaxed geometry is great. This bike is fabulously stable on fast descents and is designed to be adapted to a wide variety of conditions. I take itto the grocery store, the office and a century is coming up!

bgbrox   Triathlete [Jan 18, 2007]
    Strength:

-Price - about $300!! Good luck finding anything else for that.
    -Comes in a large range of sizes
    -Ready to build
    -fits fenders
    -easy fit for seatpost, headset, and f.d. clamp

-the steel IRD fork is heavier than I expected. I wish I would have gone with carbon
    -requires long reach brakes (but fits larger tires and fenders)

I finished building a Smoothie ES and I love it.

About me:
    I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs.

What I ride:
    I have a short 6 mile bike commute. I also do group rides, road and off-road triathlons. I generally prefer mountain biking to road.

I got this frame to upgrade/replace a Giant OCR3 that was too small. Thank you SOMA for making big frames. I got a 64cm and they even make a 66cm. The frame came clean enough to build (I took it to my LBS and they said it didn't need anything). I sprayed some frame saver on it, but that was it. The paint has a few runs in it and the welds could be smoother, but the quality seems to be very good.

the ride:
    This is my first steel bike. The first thing I noticed was the lack of flex. I also like the smooth ride. I was worried that the Smoothie ES (compared to the Smoothie) would be lazy, but with a 120mm stem the steering is very quick.

I've never owned a really high end frame, but this bike was everything I could have wanted. I can tell it will be great for group rides and long training rides. This is a great bike at a great price.