Steelman Cycles Eurocross Frames

Eurocross

Rich Nickla   Road Racer [Jan 12, 2006]
Strength:

Quick handling in the technical stuff, tracks like it's on rails at speed, comfortable when it gets rough, stiff laterally, and impeccable welds. Equally important is the customer service provided by Brent and crew. They take care of you very well and actually listen to your input. You feel like you're part of the team, not just some guy with a checkbook.

n/a

As with all of Brent's bikes, my Eurocross is a stellar example of getting what you pay for. The craftmanship is immaculate, the finish and set-up are perfect, and it rides beautifully. I work in the cycling business and have access to just about any bike I want, but I'm sticking with Steelman, and you can keep your OCLV-Ti-Scandium-Wonder-Widget-Of-The-Month.

Similar Products Used: Too many to list.
Jonathan Graves   Recreational Rider [Sep 30, 2003]
Strength:

Strong AND light! Stiff AND compliant! Knife AND fork!

Decals a bit fragile

Like many other reviewers here, I was looking for a 'road bike' that would cover all the bases. You know, a good winter commuter, hang with roadie buddies, maybe tour a bit, get dirty once in a while. I was a bike messenger in London for a few years and have bent many a feathery road frame - strength and durability were primary considerations. The Steelman Eurocross met my criteria and has exeeded my expectations. As others have mentioned, dealing with Brent was a pleasure. His work came strongly recommended by local frame builders and cyclocrossers. I like to choose my bikes carefully and I enjoy it when other bike people notice my bike and compliment me on it. The amazing thing about the Eurocross is the versatility it achieves without deviating far from classic road bike geometry. It feels so 'right' on the dirt that you assume it must use mountain bike geometry. However, ride it on the road and you quickly realize that this is no hybrid ba$tard. I love the Dedacci Zero/Uno tubeset - It has a little bit more compliance than 853 without being too whippy. Closeout pricing on this tubeset was the icing on the cake.

Similar Products Used: IF, Ti Cycles, Davidson
HWTrider   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable light steel ride with great handling.

None to speak of!

I ride in the city as well as off road. I tend to get bored riding just one type of terain. The Eurocross is everything I expected in a costom frame. The bike is comfortable, light and agile. When I ride on the road the bike is smooth and astonishingly fast. Curb hops and pot holes are taken in stride. When I put a set of road wheels on the bike I was able to keep up on long group rides. On fire roads the bike really excells. It is fast and stable even when the gravel gets deep. On single track the bike handles very well. Much to my surprise I have been able to knife through mud and water at good speeds. I am very pleased with this purchase. Dealing with Brent Steelman and his wife was a great pleasure. They povided excellent costomer service.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale XS-800 2 years
Hector Chow   Recreational Rider [Nov 22, 2002]
Strength:

Solid built frame, and fork produces light smooth ride with responsive steering, and excellent shock absorption.

Pricey of course since we are talking of a top notch product. Another weakness is that it is too beautiful that it may attrack bike thieves.

I enjoy all aspects of bicycling: touring, commuting, track, racing, off road. So, instead of buying four or five specialized bikes, I wanted to get a 'dream bike' that could do all of these forms of cycling well. After trying several options: touring bikes, mountain bikes, and some cyclocross bikes at various bike shops, I finally got to test ride a Steelman Eurocross. The minute I rode it I was sold: smooth, crispy handling, good feel in the ride, and fast! So I ordered one from Brent Steelman. I must say he is very patient in that he listens and values his customers. You see I am very picky, and very often indecisive; yet he was patient throughout the two and half months it took the bike to be delivered. I changed color of paints several times, crankset setup, etc. Yet, he always listened; always answered the phone himself to produce that 'do it all' bike that I have been dreaming of. So, this past week got to ride the finished Steelman Eurocross. It is light, responsive, smooth, and climbs well. In the velodrome, I am amazed how fast it rides; and off road it carves well through singletrack, sand and mud. I am becoming interested in cyclocross now, since the Eurocross is especially made for that. Living in Northern California I feel fortunate that I was able to visit Brent Steelman's business personally. He measured me to get the right frame sizing, and right frame specifications. Happy trails Steelman riders!

Similar Products Used: waterford, sycip.
J RUDEBUDDA3000   Road Racer [Nov 21, 2001]
Strength:

light, supple and forgiving ride

price was painful

I never appeciated it when peple said "steel is real'' until now... incredable

Similar Products Used: Gunnar, Cannondale, Voodoo, serotta
Brad   [Aug 17, 2001]
Strength:

the RIDE! It's all about the ride.

I've only ridden 300 miles in the three weeks I've had it, but.....

On the road it feels and rides like a lot of high-end steel road bikes. Soft, supple ride, very comfortable. There have been times when I've been surprised at my speed...it's just so smooth.

On the dirt...this bike comes alive. It feels like the first time I rode my Bontrager Race Lite on the dirt - it's the same "magic carpet ride", but it's FASTER FASTER FASTER. I've only ridden it on basically minimal-technical fireroads, if you hump, you can FLY. When I did my first bunny hop, I was surprised at how effortless it was.

I'm not sure I have the skills to ride on some nasty single track yet, and I'll still be riding my Race Lite, but I really love this bike.

It's fun riding a cyclocross...new skills, new way of thinking, working and thinking rather than just bombing.

I can't compare it's competitors, didn't ride them. But it doesn't matter. THIS THING ROCKS.

Similar Products Used: none
ED   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2000]
Strength:

This is a top quality 853 steel cyclocross bike that is designed for racing and built by Brent Steelman... someone who has a lot of experience in cyclocross and who obviously takes a lot of pride in what he does. Steelman's 853 Eurocross is well thought out from top to bottom. Beautiful powder coating, good decals, incredible crowned straight blade fork built by the man himself, excellent dropouts, smooth as butter welds.
Little things that go a long way: top-tube cable routing that is offset a bit to the side, your choice of top or bottom swing front der., integrated and threaded rear brake cable stop for quick and easy adjustments on the fly... plenty of room for rubber...did I mention the dropouts on the fork? Brent and Katyrn Steelman are also very helpful and ACCESSIBLE if you have any questions that their already very informative web-page can't answer.
THE RIDE: This thing rips... it literally feels like an extension of myself. It has a long enough wheelbase to be stable, yet has steep enough angles to be nimble when you need it to be. When climbing, it feels like no energy is wasted... the bike just lunges forward with every stroke of the crank. This is the most incredible steel bike that I have ever been on. And with a pair of road wheels... you are not losing a thing on not having a road racing specific frame... this bike is the best of both worlds.

nope

BUY THIS FRAME BUY THIS FRAME... IT IS THE BEST YOU WILL FIND FOR A STEEL CYCLOCROSS FRAME.
You can tell right away that Brent and his wife Katryn know what they are doing and take a lot of time and pride in what they do. And, unlike some builders out there who put their founders name on the frame and$1300-$1500 price tag, but have some inexperienced welder actually building it (a big FAT lie...I will be nice and not mention any names... I made a big FAT promise,) BRENT STEELMAN BUILDS HIS OWN FRAMES AND THEREFORE HAS THE RIGHT TO PUT HIS NAME ON THE DOWNTUBE. I found STEELMAN after I bought a $1350(overly FAT price) production cyclocross frame from a trusted and respected mid-size builder, received my frame with two significant defects, waited several months for them to build me a new production frame, got screwed around the whole time on delivery dates, and then finally told them to keep everything and send my money back(Which I waited for for almost a month, and after making several calls, none of which were returned, I finally got a voice that said the check was sent several days before… two weeks later, no check, they finally next day aired one to me when I caught them in their lie) I tell you this longwinded story because Steelman would never have to do something like this.
After dealing with several other small builders after this fiasco, I came upon STEELMAN CYCLES, and was sold on them immediately. I can tell you that they are easygoing, eager to help, and they know what they are talking about. Unlike some builders who seem to only dabble in cyclocross, STEELMAN CYCLES are really invloved in cyclocross,(they offer three different cyclocross frames) and it shows in their work, and comes out in the ride. So, for all the reasons mentioned above... If you are the type of person who would rather save their money for an extra couple of months in order to buy a cyclocross frame from a small builder, rather than buying some corporate piece of nonsense, then I can tell you that you should definitley invest a lot of time checking out STEELMAN CYCLES. I spent 6 months saving and researching everybody who makes a cross frame, and after getting screwed around on my first purchase, and getting sick of egos and attitudes from other builders, I finally found STEELMAN. What a relief. Let me just say that the STEELMAN EUROCROSS 853 is so great that I don't even mind that I lost well over $100 bucks in labor and shipping from the fiasco I described above. In the end I saved, and came out waaaaaayyyyy ahead in the deal... in price, value, design, handling...everything !!! STEELMAN IS REAL... BUY ONE!!! Their motto should be: STEELMAN CYCLES…. WE DON’T @#$% AROUND

Similar Products Used: : Fat City Chris Cross... and I researched all the others from small builders... Rock Lobster, Indy Fab, Strong, Sycip, Lyon's, Waterford, Seven, etc. Steelman was the best that I could find for the dollars I got back after I sent back the mistake riddled Fat City.
Tom   Recreational Rider [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is sweet- great geometry, lightweight, nice paint. The ride is so smooth and quick, the welds are great, and the fork is sweet. For those of you out there who are sick of all the high tech nonsense in the mountain bike world, the Eurocross is a great way to get into something that is very simple, elegant, aggressive, comfortable, and super fun. Get back to basics

no way

Again, this bike is spectacular. It is so much fun to ride, and it really helps with your handling skills. I can't wait to try cross racing once I learn some cross specific skills. From waht I have read about cyclocross, this bike is everthing you need, and so much more. Why spend $5000 on some motorcycle looking downhill bike when you can have a Eurocross? Low maintainence, simple elegance, 853 tubing, smooth ride, and something that will teach you how to ride right, rather than run everything over. Nothing plastic about this bike at all. Get one, and be ready to be changed.

Similar Products Used: Kona Jake the Snake
Thomas   Road Racer [May 01, 2000]
Strength:

I love this bike. I did eight races on it last fall. It's everything a cyclocross bike is supposed to be;light,quick handling,resilient,sure footed.
The craftsmanship is unsurpassed. Brent was super accomodating. The fork is beautiful, yet can take a beating.
HIGHLY recommended. Take a close look at one, especially next to an IF and you'll see why.

None.

If you ride one, you will buy one...bottom line.

Similar Products Used: Alan,Jake the snake
ed   Recreational Rider [Nov 07, 2000]
Strength:

I have already reviewed this bike before so I will be brief...
After riding this bike for almost aa year now I still have nothing but admiration for the bike and its builder. This frame is perfect.

ha!

I have been riding this bike for both on-road and offroad use for almost a year now... two sets of wheels makes it easy. This bike is really the ulitimate ride for what I need it for. Someday I will send it back to Brent for a new paint-job and rack-mounts, and I will then use it for touring as well.
The folks at Steelman are great. They were very accomodating and patient with all of my questions, and really seemed to genuinely want to help. I have had some bad experiences with another so-called reputable builder, but I am glad that it happened because these experiences turned me on to Steelman Cycles. What is funny about it all is that the builder who messed up my first frame, and then lied to me, had to close its doors a few months later. Steelman Cycles has gained a loyal customer in me by simply doing what they believe in, and doing it well. No hype- No fancy gadgets- No mega-egos- Just build darn good bikes, and treat their customers with respect and honesty. You won't find these attributes in the business plans of the major corporate bike builders who are flooding the industry with overpriced fly-by-night crap.
Bottom line: Give Steelman a shot and support something that is real. You won't lose!
Thank you Steelman for working so hard at what you do, and doing it well!!!