Steelman Cycles Stage Race 525 (SR525) Frames

Stage Race 525 (SR525)

Reynolds 525 steel road frame/fork

gunnar02   Road Racer [Jan 08, 2004]
Strength:

Personal care by Brent and Katryn of which I am eternaly greatful is the ultimate strong point. Several frame builders can make a great frame but few will marry customer service and an exceptional product like Steelman Cycles.

Zero - None

What a beautiful frame. Forget about any other steel frame you may have been thinking about and get a Steelman. Outstanding ride and comfortable over the long haul. Descending is a no brainer - just point and go. Only limit to going uphill is your fitness. The frame responds to everything asked of it. Beautiful Anthracite powder coat color looked like a black pearl. I use past tense only because it was stolen in September. Now I can upgrade to the Stage Race and simply cannot wait.

Similar Products Used: Old '79 Columbus SL tubed Trek
Rich Nickla   Road Racer [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

Superb handling, superb build quality, great customer service.

None (For those who say "light, for steel", my 58cm bike weighs in at 17.5 lbs with race wheels. That's light, period.)

In the 10 years that I've been working in the retail bike business I've had the chance to ride and own a LOT of high-quality bicycles. Out of all the choices available, I own 4 Steelmans and 1 pre-Trek Bontrager. Here's why: -My first Steelman was a 58cm SR 525. As with any new bike, as I was building it I was looking closely for faults or problems (which I couldn't find), and I was slightly pessimistic before my first ride. That lasted about 30 seconds : ). The handling was spot-on, it fit perfectly, and felt perfectly stable without giving up any road feel or feeling dead. I tried my hardest to make it squirm by taking bad lines through sketchy corners going too fast, but it tracked through anything without a twitch. -During the ordering and frame-building process, Brent was always available to answer questions and give me an update on the progress. Customer service gets a 10. -I've ridien and raced the bike for 3 years now, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, still. It hasn't softened up or gotten "whippy", and the paint still looks like new. The only reason I might want to replace it is to get a different color. -Since buying the Stage Race, I've also purchased a Euro-Cross, Manzanita, and a Signature track frame from Steelman. The customer service, build quality, and ride quality has been consistently excellent. All in all, I can't praise these frames enough. Like I said above, I can ride anything I want, but I choose Steelman above all others.

Similar Products Used: Serotta, Pinarello, Sanino, Lemond, Litespeed, many others.
Frank   Recreational Rider [Feb 03, 2002]
Strength:

Great attention to detail Powdercoating looks great Ride quality is wonderful Flawless welds Great value

I have long wanted a Steelman, but never managed to buy one. I recently found this one in like new condition with less than 100 miles on it at a great price ($475 w/new Ultegra headset and bottom bracket). The wait was well worth it! The welds are absolutely flawless, and the powdercoated metallic blue paint looks like wet paint...very nice. The Steelman builds up very nicely and easily as the alignment and frame construction details are spot on accurate. The Steelman is a perfect all-around road bike...stable on descents, quick on sprints, smooth on long straights, and not a liability on hills. Brent Steelman seems to have put the same quality and design that he puts into his SR 853 top end frame and fork into the SR 525, but at a lower price. I only wish I had bought a Steelman years ago!

Similar Products Used: Many different bikes: Merckx TSX, Litespeed Ultimate, Tommasini SLX, LeMond Zurich, etc.
Steve   Road Racer [May 07, 2001]
Strength:

Finish, beautiful welds, cust service from Steelman & LBS

none yet

Outstanding value for what you get. There is no compromise on quality or finish compared to the SR. The carbon fork option is a nice addition. The bike does not feel that stiff and the ride is smooth as glass. There is some break in with the campy parts. Overall I've been very satisfied. Right after my first ride I sent a note saying how much I enjoyed the bike to the Steelman info email address (on steelmancycles.com) and received a personal reply from Brent. Try that with Trek and see where it gets you.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi veloce, Zuno Hummingbird
Patrick Eames   Road Racer [Mar 06, 2001]
Strength:

Stiff, yet comfortable frame. Handles some of rougher Seattle roads with unexpected grace for a steel race frame.

Slightly heavier than the SR853 but I can handle it for the price. Only other drawback is that there is absolutely no allowance for fenders.

Wonderful frame. This is my main ride. It fits great. So well that I my rain bike has custom geometry to generally match this bike.

The story is that the tubing used is about 4 oz. heavier than the SR853. This frame is also almost 1/2 the price. I can handle a few ounces and loose the weight elsewhere if I really cared. On the up side Reynolds 525 is said to be stiffer than 853. This leads to a stiffer frame which is very good for larger frames ( I ride a 63cm ).

In general the bike feels very alive and responsive. Yet it is still comfortable over 100+ miles.