Strong Frames Custom Road Frame Frames

Custom Road Frame

Each frame is designed and built specifically for each customer: Strong Frames Inc. ONLY builds true custom frames!

• choose Aluminum, Scandium, Steel, Titanium

• User Reviews (13)

BenR   Road Racer [Jun 25, 2011]
    Strength:

Well-known for bikes that fit and meet the customer's needs.

This is more about Carl Strong's product support rather than the bike. One reviewer is not happy with him, but here is my experience: I bought a 1999-2000ish aluminum Strong time trial frameset secondhand off a sponsored rider. The frame had been used hard and I abused it for another 5 seasons. The frame had a nice ride and stiff bottom bracket, and was aerodynamic for the time (actual merit, not just fast-looking). It fit the original rider (6' woman with special requirements) like a glove. Finish work and paint quality sucked, but as a sponsorship bike, I don't think that was a priority. Slightly too big for me, but it had soul and was fun to ride. The main reason I'm writing is the oddball, outdated derailleur hanger had been bent and fatigued by previous rider, then I managed to strip the threads. Carl himself replied to my email promptly and asked for a photo. I was brutally honest with the history,2nd owner, etc. etc., but he mailed me the appropriate parts 2 states away at zero mark-up, and had them in the mail before my check went the other way. He knew he hadn't made a dime off me but still provided outstanding support. I have also been in his shop a couple times. It's spotless, even when work is being done.

Vitix2   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2010]
    Strength:

Design and build quality, personalization (geometry, braze-ons, material selection, desired ride characteristics, etc.). The thing that I appreciate most about my frame is the fit. The custom geometry is really noticeable. Everything is right where it is needed. Additionally, working with Carl was a confidence inspiring process. He's a good guy and if you've got a problem with him, like one of the reviewers, you really do need to check yourself. He is a good businessman and has a very accommodating and neutral business personality. There was nothing about the measuring, ordering, or building process to discourage a reasonable person.

I recently set up a custom frame designed and built by Carl Strong. My frame is made of a blend of metal tubes that consist of an OX Platinum down tube and top tube, a Versus seat tube, and a Life head tube. Since all of Strong's frames are custom, and built to have different characteristics, it seems somewhat pointless to get too deep into ride characteristics. What is most important to note is that Strong frames are high quality products and you get what you seek. I was seeking a durable, stiff bike that could serve as the workhorse of my bike collection, and that is what I got.
    My bike tracks straight, is very stable at speed or just cruising along, has no discernable flex, and has a solid feel. Yet, it is not very heavy (as steel frames go, about 18 lbs without focusing on building for weight). It is a natural climber, and a nimble handler. It really shines when out of the saddle doing short bursts, or when speeding through a series of turns that require you to quickly lean the bike from side to side. It leans and recovers very well. It is also very comfortable.
    When I ordered my frame I explained the type of handling and level of stiffness that I wanted to Carl. What I requested is exactly what I got.
    In terms of geometry, this is the first frame that I ever owned (and I've had many) that really-really fits me perfectly. Carl measured me, we talked about what he thought, he accepted my input, and offered suggestions and options that resulted in a great frame for me. Moreover, during the building process he contacted me to share new thoughts for improvements.
    At first, I was afraid of the powder coating paint that comes standard on the frames, but trust me when I say, there is no real difference between the powder coating (when finished with a clear coat) vs. liquid painting. In fact, had I not known that the paint was powder coat, I never would have noticed the difference.
    For the record, I'm not the type to give good reviews just to make myself feel better about the money that I've spent. I've plopped down money on plenty of less than optimal products, and I review accordingly. My experience with Strong has been good, and I would recommend his process and products.

Similar Products Used: Trek 400, Trek 2300, Cannondale R 600, Pinarello Stelvio, Eddy Merckx Premium, Olmo Gara Pista, Casati Gold Line, Pegoretti Marcelo
    Robert Lara   Recreational Rider [Nov 27, 2007]
    Strength:

FIT is outstanding. I can't ride off the shelf geometry. He literally builds you what he say's he will. No- nonsense bikes that are understatedly elegant. My last one has no decals,(I'm trying to darken the ti a bit more) and people have looked at it and say how well made it appears. No fluff. Pure stealth performance. Matte Grey Beadblasted dirty ti for that fighter jet look w/ carbon forks, seatposts, bars and light weight quality wheels on all the bikes. What else do you need?!

None with Carl's bikes.

I am on my 4th Carl Strong in 4 years and enjoy them all for their intended purposes. My first ti Strong is as comfortable as can be on centuries which led me to get a steel Strong(my favorite) built with identical geometry to replace a ti Seven I rode for a season and disliked.I then tried an aluminum Strong he was blowing out and gave me a great deal on. He told me it would be stiff because it was designed for a crit racer & he was not joking! Amazing climber though. He now made me a stiff ti road frame that I use like the aluminum one I sold. It is considerably stiffer than my first ti frame just as I wanted it. A stiff frame that is more comfortable than aluminum. So now I have long distance bike and a fast flatland/ big ring bike! They handle on the fast side (74/73) as I requested with a lowish bottom bracket to rail around downhill corners with ease.

Similar Products Used: Gios(3), Seven
    Brian Mellott   Road Racer [Nov 18, 2007]
    Strength:

Truly custom fit, stiffness and service

This is the second Strong Frame I have owned and have loved both of them. The first frame I bought was made from Columbus Max tubing and was great. Unfortunately, the seat tube developed a hairline crack at the junction with the top tube. I sent it to Carl to see if it could be fixed and the answer was no - but a whole new frame was covered under warranty. I had a couple of changes made to the original frame, but overall it is identical. The new frame is made from Columbus Spirit and True Temper OX Platinum tubing and is lighter and feels quicker than the old frame. I cannot say enough about how this bike handles.

Similar Products Used: Serotta, Medici,Cannondale, Paramount
    Phil Rotherham   Road Racer [Aug 26, 2007]
    Strength:

My bikes fit perfectly the first time, awesome welds and finishes

Can't think of any

Each of my Strong Frames Custom Bicycles excell at their intended purpose. My Scandium Road Bike with Record 10 and FSA cranks weighs in at 15.8 Lbs, pedals and water bottle holders included. It is quick and fast. My aluminum TT bike is the perfect fit for my position with amazing seat tube to rear wheel minimum clearance, very aero, check out the picture on Carl's website in the gallery. My Foco tubing MTB is a climbing machine, great balance, was immediately comfortable in difficult terrain and conditions.

Similar Products Used: Kalispell Titanium, Dura Ace group, Specialized Epic Comp, carbon fiber, Specialized Stump Jumper Comp
    justin ruzicka   Road Racer [Jun 14, 2007]
    Strength:

Good Ideas, BUT POOR FOLLOW THROUGH.

-JERK TO DEAL WITH
    -NO WARRANTY WORK FOR (LIFETIME)
    -RUDE WHEN YOU ASK TO LOOK AT PROBLEM
    -ARROGANT ABOUT HIS WORK
    -MEAN AND UNWILLING TO TRY AND FIND A SOLUTION THAT IS BENIFITIAL TO ALL!!!!
    -ONLY COOL TO YOU IF YOU LIVE THERE AND KISS HIS TUSH
    -WHAT HE FORGETS IS I SUGGESTED 4 PEOPLE TO BUY HIS BIKE AND ALL FOUR PEOPLE DID THAT YEAR (2002)

I have been racing road bikes for over 10 years. I have riden some of the nicest treks around, 5500 carbon, and a few other top end bike builders. You see that my knowledge is there to know a good bike and a good fit when i see it. The Strong Racing frame that i had did have a good fit, and road well. It was the easton aluminum built frame. What was frustraiting from the begining of ownership is that I always had a creak in the bottom bracket. So annoying that my riding partners always complained, and the local shop,(Round House) worked on it for years trying to make it go away, we greased it, taped the threads, kissed it, prayed for it, replaced the BB, and nothing could get rid of the noise. Oh well...So I have not been racing in the last three years, just slow group rides for fun these days. And my last group ride a guy is riding behind me and see my whole bike flex from side to side at the bottom braket. Come to find out the weld broke at the bottom braket. HUH, i thought back to the years of noise and figured the weld was weak and probably a hairline fracture that was not noticeable do to it being under the clear coated paint. I called Carl to ask for it to be fixed, you know warranty like work. His response was "Justin, this bike is older than 5 years, you can't possibly think it would last that long, Aluminum has a shorter life span than cromolly and so i can't and wont fix it!" I was amazed a custom builer who wouldn't stand behind his own welds. Why would i buy custom ever again i thought? To my knowledge he has had a few bikes brake at the bottom braket and i know he is always a pain in the rear to fix that stuff!!! That is NOT WHAT CUSTOM IS ABOUT!!!!!

Similar Products Used: I have never used a product with as poor workmanship as this product. And with as poor personal service as with Carl Strong Racing(want a be) frames.
    ladams   Road Racer [Sep 14, 2005]
    Strength:

Carl Strong knows how to build an excellent frame. He listened to my requirements and then made his suggestions. I got exactly what I wanted. This is the highest compliment that you can pay a frame builder.

Makes you blow off things you really should be doing.

I purchased the custom Ti frame from Carl Strong of Strong frames based on reputation. I had worn out my Davidson Ti and was looking for a replacement. The bike is extremely well balanced. Very stiff in the bottom bracket. The frame is used for training and road racing. Handling is spot on. It has been raced in everything from 50 to 200 milers. This is a custom frame from an established frame builder. It is excellent. You just ride it, there is no wishing it did something a bit better. I have had many high end frames including four other customs. After the last custom in 1986 I vowed to never buy another one. It was terrible and so was the one before. It took 20 years but Carl Strong changed that opinion.

Similar Products Used: Many high end frames including Teledyne Titan.
    campyhag   Recreational Rider [Sep 19, 2004]
    Strength:

Stiff in the bottom bracket yet comfortable. Stable on fast twisties. Good looking.

Powdercoat but Carl offered to re-do it and Im going to take him up on it.

O.K. This is a follow up review of my Strong foco. It simply is outstanding. The slack angles give it all day comfort and stability(along with the low bottom bracket). I have had numerous compliments on the frame and I love it enough to adorn it with some upgrades. Great bike.

Similar Products Used: Many steel and alu frames. None as comfortable and capable as my Strong. Sold my Cannondale to someone younger with a better back.
    kennytosh   Recreational Rider [Mar 12, 2004]
    Strength:

Perfect alignment. I checked it out with a Park Frame Alignment Gauge and it is the straightest I've seen on any of my bikes. This bike tracks perfect. Handles like a crit bike, rides like a stage race bike. Excellent workmanship. Carl follows directions to a t. Carl also asks the right questions and gets your feedback on style (seatstay attachment, bottle cage placement, cable stop placement, etc.

Carl probably could do a little better job on acknowledging a customer's expertise. Rear chainstay bridge was slightly crooked. Powdercoat doesn't belong on this product. The paint is as good as you can get with powdercoat but Carl's got to do a better job here and offer traditional paint - powdercoat has terrible luster and there's too much peel in the paint.

After riding for 30+ years, six as Cat-II, and having owned about 30 different bikes I decided to go the custom route. I talked to Carl and told him my saddle position, my handlebar position, what stem length I wanted to use, and what BB height I wanted. I left the rest to him. It's sort of like walking into a 4-star restaurant and telling the waiter "I'm hungry - feed me". I did exactly that once at the Metro Grill in Seattle and had one of the best meals of my life. Well, with Carl I got the best frame of my life. It fits perfect - I set up the bike with the 120mm stem I wanted and the handlebar is EXACTLY where I wanted it. Simply amazing! Smooth, responsive, quick & preditable handling. This guy is good. If you haven't gone custom yet - please do - it's money well spent.

Similar Products Used: Colnago Super, Pinarello SLX, Look KG96, Vitus 979, Gios Torino, Pougliaghi SLX, Proteus 531, Romic 531, Specialized S-Works M4, Mongoose Ti, Cannondale Track, Concorde Squadra, Falcon 753, Bob Jackson 853, and some others I'm sure I forgot about.
    campyhag   Recreational Rider [Nov 16, 2003]
    Strength:

Nice welds,alignment is good,Carl did a good job of final slope with a short top tube, looks great as top tube weld is close to top of headtube.

Powdercoat sucks. This frame has little specks in it. Carl offered to do it over but it should never have gotten out of his shop.

Nice frame overall, too bad the powdercoat came out so bad.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Teesdale custom,Lemond, Colnago dream, Colnago Masterlight