Surly Cross-Check Frames

Surly Cross Check Frame The steel Cross Check frame rides like nothing else.  Its also durable and affordable.  Its really hard to beat this package.  But wait--add to that semi-horizontal dropouts with a derailleur hanger,...

cacahootie   Recreational Rider [Aug 21, 2008]

Sturdy as hell, versatile, looks awesome, good quality threads and correct diameter holes (needed no prep).

Heavy, as with all surly frames. But given its niche, that's to be expected. I can still get this baby up over 40, so neener neener to the weight weenies, but when you hit a pothole we'll see how good a 1 lb frame is. The rear cantilever cable hanger is a little cheesy, just a loop of metal hung around the seat clamp, not a braze on. Given the other braze ons, not sure why this doesn't exist. Be sure to get a cable hanger for the front brake, because the frame doesn't come with one. Also, Surly stock was pretty spotty when I was trying to buy a frame, not sure if it's just late in the model year or what, but QBP only had 58s in one color, no Pacers, slim pickin's. Lucky I could make do with a 58 (normally a 56, but with short stem it fits fine).

Great frame for the price, do anything on the planet. Somewhat heavy, but that's the price you pay for indestructibility. The ride is extremely smooth, the paint and welds good for the quality of frame. Frame needed no preparation, it all went together great. Geometry is fast enough to ride as a trainer (wouldn't use it as a race bike, obviously, for a few reasons) but comfortable enough to use for long touring. I've already put a few hundred miles on and it's way more comfortable than anything else I've ever ridden, mtn or road. I'm 220lbs and ride like a maniac and I feel a lot more confident on this frame than any other road frame I've been on.

Similar Products Used: Mid 90s Concorde steel race frame, Columbus SLX tubing; Old 80s Nishiki touring bike (bent the frame BAD); decent mountain bikes set up for urban riding.