Surly Pacer Frames

Surly Pacer Frames

It isn’tThe fastest or lightest bike you’ll ever ride, butThen again, it isn’tTryingTo be.This frame was designed as an all-day bike, which means comfort and reliability.The 4130TIG-welded frame and brazed fork are designedToTakeThe edge offThe bumps and cracks inThe road, but remain laterally stiff forThose out-of-the-saddle sprints and climbs.The understated beauty ofThis bike allows youTo ride it without worrying what you look like. Lycra fullTeam kit? Sure. Cutoff jeans, sl

[Jun 02, 2015]
Robbie B

Strength:

Great Ride

Er?

Picked up a 52cm Pacer frameset in Sparkleboogie Blue from Charlie the Bikemonger for a build for UK winter.

Was dubious about the Surly own brand 4130 tubes as I ride a custom built Dedacciai Zero Replica summer bike.

The Surly is now my summer machine. No way am I fitting mudguards (fenders), it's too nice a bike.

Honestly, on UK ''tarmac'' (i.e. poor surfaced roads) It rides better than my made to measure steel frame that cost four times as much.

It's heavy but not massively so. I built it with 11 speed 105, Hope Hubs from the UK and Open Pros. Brooks Swift, Thomson seat post and some ITM bars and stem. Chris King headset as a treat.

Comfortable, fast, and looks cool.

Love it. Now I want a Steamroller too.

[Apr 15, 2015]
Porkchop

Strength:

Strong Steel frame. Frame fits Fat tires up to 32mm. Total old school road bike that will handle big fat boys like me without crying for relief.

Frame is a bit heavy. But so am I. It Could use a better paint scheme. Mine came in powder coat black so it is tough but boring.

I bought my Surly frame in 2005 and I have logged 40000 miles on it. I built the bike from frame up using parts that I bought separately for the job. I have gone thru 3 or 4 wheels and I am on my third brifter set. The Frame is still like new. (except for some scratches) . I weigh 250 pounds and this bike is plenty tough enough to handle that kind of punishment everyday. I run Mavic open pro wheels and brooks b17 saddle. I have crashed and burned at least 3-4 times but the frame is still going strong. In the winter it fits fenders nice and rain rides are possible with maximum comfort. In Southern California you ride all year long and this bike loves to be on the road. I love the brake cable that runs on the top of the top tube. I use it as bike bell that has a beautiful loud ringing tone when plucked. This bike will make you stand out in a crowd. This rider is 62 years old.

Trek Mountain bike

[Feb 25, 2015]
lamar jackson

Strength:

Strong, sturdy, smooth, geometry, heavy, classic design,

No brazeons , oh heavy

this is actually the best overall bike I've owned. I'm an ex power lifter and I have not experience any flex. The bike is super smooth I love that I don't have to get up when I see imperfections in the road. The bike is plenty quick plenty stiff although I admit it takes a while to get it up to speed because of how heavy it is but once it gets to rolling it just runs very smooth. I have had many bikes steel aluminum and carbon this have to be the best bike I have ever owned. It makes you want to keep on riding for some odd reason and I hate to put it down maybe it's the geometry or the smooth feel. I thought about other bikes such as soma or bikes in that price range but I like this bike because it is heavy and I feel extremely confident in riding it. I would not mind taking it on the expressway. out of all the bikes I have this is definitely my go-to bike.

[Nov 10, 2012]
Vinh Ho

Strength:

Stable, solid, reasonably priced, user-friendly, and affordable.

None.

All-around great classic steel frame road bike which is fun to ride around the city. Looks good, does it's job, and makes you want to get back on it the next day.

You can't go wrong with this model if you're looking to get into biking or yearn for the days when you fell in love with biking because riding brought a smile to your face.

Soma Smoothie

[Mar 18, 2012]
ArkyKenny

Strength:

Steel is real for the real world. If you are not a racer, a relaxed geometry steel frame makes sense for so many reasons.

I wish they would add braze on's on the rear down tube, and make the top tube brake cable on the bottom of the tube, or madeit to run in a housing on the side of the top tube (internal routing would be great, but expensive, so I'm not asking for that)

Perfect for me. I'm a 47 yo 6'2" 215# dude who used to be pretty fast. Now I ride 30-60 miles at a time thru Arkansas' rolling hills, and do an occasional century. I built my 2010 Surly Pacer up with some Easton Circuit wheels, and FSA compact double, and 8 speed stuff I had. Right now it's got 700c x 25 slicks on, but I also have some 32 mm touring tires that work fine too. It weighs about 23 lbs using mid-level reliable and affordable componenets. I've sold my carbon fiber Specialized Roubaix and this is my only road bike. I could not be happier. It's smooth, fast, comfortable, rigid in the right way, etc. Steel IS real--I forgot that for awhile, but I won't do it again. Some posts talk about a "flexy" crank/bottom bracket--I have not found that to be true (and I've looked for it). I wish 1) the top brake cable was under the top tube, or in a housing , and 2) it had braze-ons on the rear down tube, so I could put a small rack on wihtout using those rubber coated clamps. I am only a few months into this one, but this is probably my long term main ride. TWSS :)

[Feb 20, 2012]
tacreamer

Strength:

A do all frame, race on it, tour on it, commute on it or ride off-road on it, this lass does it all!

Just the stock fork that came on my frame (a 2007), recently Surly has introduced a new fork the will truly fit a 28 mm tire and a fender and I plan on buying one to update my trusty steed.

This bike is like that old tool you keep on coming back too after trying all the new gadgets, it just works.

I've used this bike initially for randonneuring for two seasons including a successful 1200k in France. Never was there a worry about this stout frame breaking on me, unlike my carbon bikes (nothing like a nagging worry of your frame busting to ruin a ride) so all of my efforts were put forth on the long rides ahead.

After not riding my Pacer for 6 months (riding my go really fast bikes instead) a friend suggested doing a gnarly backroad gravel grinder so I choose the Pacer and road. And O what a ride every bit as predictable and comfortable as I had remembered.
I soon converted the Pacer to a 650b bike to enable using fatter tires and fenders (38mm tires) and how sweet it is.
I now use it almost daily for my commute to work, a most pleasant way to start and end my day. And if the urge to ride the long steep gravely way back home beckons, I'll do just that with no hesitations.

The only downside to my bike, a 2007, is the fork. I could get a 700 X 25mm tire and a fender to work but not the 28mm tire the Surly website promises. For 2012, Surly has redesigned the fork to truly fit a 700 X 28mm tire, I plan on upgrading to that and reconverting it back to a 700c bike.

Soma Double Cross, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Litespeed Classic, Pedal force full carbon wonder bike.

[May 05, 2010]
grillman403

Strength:

Very comfy ride!!!

I wish the brake cable routing was along side the top tube and that they would clear coat the frame so the decals won't come off. It's too nice a frame not to do the extra details.

I bought my Pacer through QBP as a frame and built it up with 9 speed Ultegra. I have an FSA Gosomer compact crankset. I have ridden for two years now and it has become my favorite bike (better than my Lemond). I use it for commuting and club riding in the Finger Lakes region of New York State where there a short steep hills. I found the bike to be very stable on descents and a wonderful climbing machine. It reminds me of my 1980's Bianchi. I weigh about 200 pounds and I found the bike has a little flex in the bottom bracket, but I like that in a frame.

Soma Smoothie ES

[Apr 09, 2010]
yamura

Strength:

Component compatibility, fine handling, smooth ride, that go-all-day feel to it.

None yet

I got this frame for training and fitted it with 105 parts & wheels off another bike + an ancient Brooks Pro saddle. Although not advertised as a race bike, its geometry and handling are very reminiscent of a '70s vintage race bike. Weight as equipped above is about 22 lbs. The welds are smooth, nice workmanship, and everything fit although the 105 rear brake was at the absolute outer limit of its travel. It rides smoothly, handles intuitively and took no getting used to.

It reminds me a lot of a warhorse of a '74 Frejus I used to have.

[Mar 11, 2010]
Willickers!

Strength:

Light for a steel frame, responsive, nimble but stable. And it looks beautiful!

The seatpost clamp somehow came loose once during a ride so that my seatpost slid down gradually. An easily solved problem.

I ordered the pre-built model direct QBP from the shop I work at to replace the aluminum monstrosity I couldn't afford to replace for too long. This bike's a dream. It's light for a steel frame and the weight is distributed really well, giving it a really stable balance. It glides over bumps (which we have plenty of in Baltimore) but doesn't have any flex issues when you pound on the pedals. It's a dream to ride and that deep green looks so nice.

[Jul 08, 2009]
Brian Wright

Strength:

Comfortable, fender mounts, aesthetics.

Graphics have chipped off a bit.

I bought this frame to build as a commuter/long-distance winter trainer. It rains a bit here in Seattle, so I wanted something on which I could mount full fenders. As the old-timers say, "steel is real," and while certainly not as good on the many hills here as my carbon frame, it has performed better than expected. I'm 6'2" about 190 lbs., and put a decent amount of power through the cranks but I have not experienced any really bothersome flex in the bottom bracket.

This frame has performed flawlessly for my purposes. I have commuted through the rain, and ridden straight from Vancouver B.C. to Seattle (about 165 miles) comfortably. While certainly not a tourer, this bike is comfortable for long single-day rides.

None - my first steel machine.