Surly Steamroller Frames

Surly Steamroller Frames

The Steamroller is an awesome fixed gear frameThats perfect for commuting, fitness riding, or just knocking around. But dont be fooled byThe low price - its aTrack legal frameThat is ready forThe velodrome,Too. SPECIFICATIONS 4130 chromoly frame and fork Horizontal dropoutsTo easily adjust chainTension Accepts 1 1/8" headset, 27.2mm post (includes Surly seatpost clamp) and 68mm BB Handles upTo 700 x 38cTire Front fork and seatstay bridge are drilledTo accept brakes in case you de

[Mar 19, 2013]
John

Strength:

Very responsive and accelartes like crazy!

I was a little bit dissappointed with the size of tyres that fit in the fork/frame. It mentions "FFF" (fits fat tyres), however it only fits max 38 which I don't consider fat coming from a MTB background.

I am a mountainbiker by heart and never liked road bikes or road riding. For commuting I started with my MTB with a different wheel set, but parts weared out very fast (lot's of rain in The Netherlands). So basically I started with riding fixed because of less maintenance and I was curious about the feeling. I'm addicted now! This is my first dedicated fixed gear bike and it ride mucg better than the old road bike I converted. Especially acceleration is super (likely due to the relative short chainstay).

Old road bike converted to fixed gear

[Oct 17, 2012]
Emile

Strength:

Geometry is sweet
Comfortable !
Build quality

Been riding fixed for 3 years and a half. started out with a conversion and then a real fixed gear (SE piece of crap that folded on itself after an accident).
After I totalled my SE I decided to buy a used steamroller frame. The difference in ride quality is amazing! I ride it on the bigger side (59cm) with a fairly short stem and it feels perfect. It's very predictable and dampens a lot of road feel. I daily commute with it (6-7 miles) and sometimes I take it for longer 20-35 mile rides. It performs well!
Hipster might want to trick it as I sometimes amuse myself with a couple wheelies between classes. Quality frame (I'm reviewing the frame only)

Peugot conversion, SE draft (do not get!), Merciers, jamis's

[Nov 01, 2010]
Jason Barton

Strength:

Fairly inexpensive, excellent geometry splits the difference between a road bike and a track bike, has classy looks, steel rides pretty nice.

In my opinion, the parts spec on the complete bike keeps getting worse and the price is going up. Since the 2008 and earlier models, the gear ratio has become way too low, Sugino cranks have been replaced by generic Andel cranks and for 2011 the bike will have even lower(44-19) gearing and upright handlebars. Its seems to be changing from a quick fixed gear into a beach cruiser!

For years the frameset has basically been the same with the exception of colors and its great for its intended use of fixed on the street with occasional trips to the track. It handles quickly but not twitchy. Its a well rounded setup.

Tons of fixed gear bikes from 90's Cannondale Track, GT GTB, Vivalo NJS, Bianchi Pista, Specialized Langster, etc.

[Oct 17, 2010]
gaeruot

Strength:

Smooth ride, durable, great handling, price, reputation

The color could be better but It kinda does grow on you. (I think another reviewer described it best when they said 'bloody stool' color)

Have been riding fixed for a couple years now (on a 70's schwinn conversion) Tried out the steamroller at a bike shop and fell in love with it! Bought it for 666$ as a complete bike NEW. It rides unlike any other bike I have tried, incredibly smooth and fast with great handling. It lives up to its name as it is very durable and can tackle a lot of obstacles

Cannondale fixed, vintage schwinn conversion

[Feb 09, 2009]
Martyn

Strength:

Ride Quality, 2008 frame, so it's good value, snappy handling, good geometry.

None yet:)

Ok, I'm predominantly a downhill mountain biker, but I have to say NO product has inspired me to write a review until I bought this! I'm no roadie thats for sure, and am used to riding significantly heavier bikes, so it does amuse me that other reviewers describe this as heavy...it's freakin light and it's STEEL, and it cranks, period, i'm completely addicted to riding fixies, and my legs now get a proper workout, so maybe the extra "weight" will do me some good..it handles nice and snappy, and has that springy ride quality that only steel can provide at a cheap price, a great product, i'm flying up and down hills..and getting many happy miles..just rode thru Melbourne, and some geezer shouted out "FIXIE" with a big smile on his face!! felt like I joined some new subculture!!!!!

n/a

[Sep 16, 2008]
Sean

Strength:

Good geometry, smooth ride

no braze-ons

I am mainly a mountain biker and wanted a good bike to commute on in Pittsburgh. At first I loves this bike, but now am lusting for some gears. Bottom line, if you are sure you will never want gears, get this; otherwise get a cross-check if you may ever want some.

Many fixie conversions, Rush Hour, Sputknik, Langster, Dispatch

[Jun 07, 2008]
ratkid

Strength:

Strong frame, geometry is forgiving (compromise between a track bike and a commuter), and flexibility. Strong wheels.

Paint is ugly but like everything else, it grows on you. Stickers get crusty after a year. Wheelset is so-so, it is strong but the hubs get loose. Cranks could be nicer but Surly is cooler than Bianchi anyway.

I wanted a track bike after converting my Peugeot Iseran into a fixed gear after messing up my hubs and my hanger is bent. After riding fixed for about eight months, I decided to get a track bike. I considered getting a Pake frame but Surly has a better deal if the Steamroller was bought as a complete bike. I bought the Steamroller as a complete bike and there it is.

First thing I noticed was the geometry, it was quick and twitchy compared to my road bike. The bike comes with a crummy seat so that was one of the first things to go. The stem creaks a lot. The bottom bracket started creaking after 300 miles. The wheels' hubs started getting loose after 700 miles.

The bike is very flexible, I had it set up in different ways: a cross, a commuter, a rain bike, and a track bike. That's what I liked about this bike, it is very versatile.

Compared to my friend's track bikes, this bike has a longer wheelbase compared to other 'true' track bikes. But that's a good thing, it doesn't beat you up as bad. Another friend ended up borrowing my Surly over my collector friend's Colnago.

All products worth price charged.

First track bike but I've ridden my friend's extensive track bike collection which include: Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Paramount (one from '83 and another from '86), Colnago, Gios, and others I can't even remember.

[Apr 30, 2008]
alon@ben-shoshan.com

Strength:

from NYC's potholes to virginia country roads this bike is a smooth ride. I am used to full suspension, and the steamroller must be a road version of full suspension.

feels great sprinting and stays comfortable for rides that last a few hours.

After demoing different fixies I totally fell in love with this one.

Only one color?
I guess it makes the purchase easier.

I spent a really long time trying to figure out what fix gear would suit me best. I am a mountain biker who moved to NYC this year, I wanted to stay in biking shape and did not have the option of hitting the trails frequently, so I wanted to go for a fixie. I was looking for something that would be comfortable

[Dec 12, 2007]
Dan V.

Strength:

-Durable -Powdercoat finish is very tough -Great stable & responsive geometry that's been perfect for my commuting purposes -Very comfortable ride with great bump absorption -Inexpensive -BB clearance -Surly has had great customer service

-Heavy -Uninspiring coloring scheme (charcoal)

No frills, no excuses and oh so much fun. I don't know why, but this has been my favorite bike including my Calfee Dragonfly, custom Vanilla and Serotta Fierte. This frameset and me just click.
There is really nothing special about this frame. It's just a plain, tigged 4130 frame, but I have so much fun on it that I always grab this bike unless I absolutely need gears which is rare. This frame will fit fenders and wide tires if needed.
There are many good choices in the Steamrollers price range these days, but at the price I got it for ($275 new) it can't be beat, and the customer service has been stellar.

-Centurion converted to fixed -Custom Vanilla

[Oct 16, 2007]
Daniel Motta

Strength:

Indestructible. Smooth ride. Brings out envy in others. Bottom bracket clearance.

Steep price for a steel frame - and you thought going fixed meant featherweight.

Bought a complete build. Put 1000 miles on it in a summer in Portland. This bike is solid, fun, and sexy. And I believe the color can best be described as bloody stool. But it's awesome in the way that Miller High Life is still my favorite beer.

mid-80s Peugeot tourmalet.