KHS Inc. TR-101 Commuter Bike

• Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 9-Speed bar ends
  • Bottom Bracket: Shimano Octalink cartridge

[Mar 29, 2016]
Joe Adamski

Strength:

Steel is real. Pretty much a basic touring frame with entry level components. With careful assembly by my LBS, I have had no issues. Lower gearing is for touring.. I know I can load this puppy and actually ride it. For $1050 I got a nice, solid workhorse of a bike. Which is what it designed to be.
Stable riding
Pretty adjustable for fit.
good stock gear choice for commuting or touring.
For my body, the saddle was pleasantly comfortable.
I would put this alongside a LHT or 520 .. all are reliable workhorses.

My major disappointment is the advert specced bar end shifters, it arrived with integrated brake handle shifters. Indexed, not switchable to friction ( for touring, that is a downside.) also, specced for 26" wheels, it came with 700 ccs. Not the end of the world on either instant, but misleading.
I cannot believe the Kenda Kwest 700x32c, w/K-Shield Anti-puncture tires are especially adept at anti puncture, since I have had several flats recently ( acknowledging i ride in a particularly nasty part of town, on Hwy 'dirty' 30. )

I am glad I kept my old bike for fun rides. This is a workhorse. Not particularly fun, but seriously reliable. I hope I learn to love this bike, perhaps like one likes an old beater car, for its reliability and character. I have only logged just over 1000 miles on it, it has not inspired a cute name, or a sense of connection. Its a bike. Nothing more.

[Jun 18, 2013]
Matt

Strength:

Great frame

All screws have come loose, some fell off while riding on my first few rides.
Nipples have come loos and can be tightened by hand.
After 500 miles, the wheels have trouble spinning freely.

Save yourself the problems and do not buy this bike. Many times I have walked out with my bike, jumped on it for a ride, only to find out something is not working right. Back into the workshop for a few hours. Needs a new wheelset, new chain, and new brakes.

Do not wast your money on this one. I e-mail KHS about the problems, and never received a response.

[Aug 22, 2009]
Joe Vance

Strength:

smooth ride. good tires for all season. shifts well.

bigger big ring, smaller small ring

This bike is a must ride for commuters. Very smooth ride. Very quick accelerations. Rack is far enough back for you avoid heel problems. Super sweet.