Kona Dew Plus Commuter Bike

• Sandvik Stainless 14/15 Gauge spokes
  • Hayes MX4 Disc Brakes

[Jun 14, 2010]
Dipsomaniac

Strength:

- light
- comfortable
- mechanical disk brakes are basic, but work well and are easy to adjust.

- paint seems soft. Then again, a bike isn't an art piece.
- aluminum on rough roads is harsher than alloy. It's also lighter - trades are made all over.

This bike is a replacement for my beloved, 15 year-old Specialized MTB that was stolen. Frankly, it's a better bike all around for what I do now. I got a good deal on a 2nd-hand 2010 that was sold because the owner couldn't ride anymore.
It's light, the components are good (if basic in spots), and very comfortable over longer distances for recreation. Tires seem good, especially after using off-road tires on asphalt. I've never used disk brakes before, and even the basic Hayes mechanicals on the KDP are much better than rim brakes.

Specialized Rockhopper
Giant Cypress

OVERALL
[Sep 04, 2009]
med1972

I know nothing about bikes. Love my new Dew Plus. Feels super light to me, weighs in at about 30lbs including my Axiom rack. Cost me $700 including the rack, helmet, and a lock. The bike was $550 list. I don't really know enough to comment in much more detail. Seems like a great commuter to me. Might look at some faster tires in the spring.

OVERALL