Lynskey Performance Designs Sportive Commuter Bike

Lynskey Performance Designs Sportive Commuter Bike

The Lynskey Sportive is designed specifically for medium to long endurance road riding like Sportives and Gran Fondos where both positive handling and comfort are desired. Curved seatstays for added comfort and a semi-relaxed geometry make the Sportive a well-balanced and reliable machine for long days, rough roads, commutes, touring and just about any road you decide to explore.

[Feb 18, 2018]
RJD253

[Dec 29, 2016]
SUNNY

Strength:

This the most comfortable bicycle I have ever owned. I have owned high end titanium, carbon fiber and aluminum bicycles.

I would have liked the fork to be cut higher. I just buy another fork.

I was looking for a bicycle that I could do long rides without beating up my body, sit bones and leg joints. I tried a high end dual suspension mountain bicycle. I also decided to try all different road bicycles. I ended feeling just as comfortable on my road bicycle. This titanium frame is the smoothest I have ridden. I found carbon fiber is stiff. I had a Litespeed Classic. But it wasn't keeping its line well. This bike is like a Porsche. Its smooth but sporty. I decided on the Sportive because I wasn't trying to build a racing bicycle. I prefer have a durable frame for rough roads. I was going to put Spinergy wheels but this bicycle is already too smooth.

Litespeed Classic, Cervelo, Cannondale, Spinergy wheels.

[Sep 10, 2015]
Bill Bell

Strength:

This frame is beautiful, lightweight and combines a very very smooth comfortable ride, with lively handling and a very stable front end (minimal - no wobble). I own 1 carbon (synapse) and 2 x steel frames alongside the lynksey sportive - the lynksey is by far the best overall frame.

Slight toe overlap on the medium frame - but I've never really found this a problem, even with mudguards.....

I have the 2014 version. I ride the lynksey now if I want to ride fast, if I am training, or if I want to ride long and even light touring. Basically - it really does everything unless you want to do ultra fast racing! I chose between this an a van nic Yukon as was looking at titanium frames. I opted for the lynksey, and a year on, now know that this is the bike for life. I built it up myself with 105 group set and Harry Rowland wheels etc. I can honestly say that I feel proud to own this frame and Lynksey should be proud of the engineering and care that has gone into it. Very very happy.

[Jul 20, 2015]
Joe

Strength:

- Lynskey specs out their bikes with great attention to detail on all components, they truly don't skimp.
- The frame is a work of art and the geometry is perfect for long rides
- The titanium seat post is really nice and super easy to use, never thought a seat post would impress me
- The fact that Lynskey took my old titanium bike in on trade, giving me about market value for it was a HUGE plus

My sales rep was very friendly and nice to work with, but I had several mistakes in the order process
- I was told the frame was in stock and would ship out the next day, they informed me they had made an inventory mistake and it took 2 promises and three weeks later before i got my bike. I should mentioned that the exact same thing happened with the Mountain bike I purchased from Lynskey a month prior.
- I told them i was moving and due to the delay they would have to ship to my new address, they forgot to update and I spent an hour with FedEx sorting it out
- when I mentioned these points to my sales person in the spirit of "Love my bike, but you guys should tighten this process up" he insinuated that since i got a great bike it shouldn't matter. (at this price, it does)

Bike Build
- Lynskey built the bike so i only had to bolt on the handlebars and mount the front wheel (excellent), however my hoods were set at different heights (nearly 1cm difference). I plan to have my LBS tweak
- 30min into my first ride I shift my front ring for about the 4th time and it pulled the cable loose from the front derailleur. (it was very loose) I plan to have my LBS look over the entire bike. I love the SRAM components, it was easy to fix and I really like the doubletap shifting which was new to me

This is an extraordinary bike and the frame is a work of art. I love the build and think it's a great value when compared to a custom build or production bike that needs upgrades. The downside with such a small company is that they still have some work to do on consistency and customer service but I'm sure that will come with time. I also love the fact that they are built in Tennessee.

[Nov 12, 2014]
the engine

Strength:

Smooth, extremely comfortable and fast.

I built this bike as a long distance ride ... already have an R230 for hilly centuries. My first ride was a 45 mile training ride, and I found the Sportive to be like "riding a magic carpet". She has a amazingly smooth ride, even on roads in need of serious TLC. I would recommend the Sportive to anyone looking for a bike they could spend hours riding, day after day. Seriously nice bike.

[Aug 03, 2014]
Jim Florczak

Strength:

Highly efficient pedaling, yet comfortable ride.
Great looking finish.
Great component packages available through Lynskey.

Some may think the titanium finish is a bit sparse and not very colorful.

After riding mountain bikes on local bike paths in Chicago and St Louis for over twenty years, I decided to buy a road bike. Now that I'm 60+ years, I wanted something a little less intense than a racing bike. After considerable research, I settled on a titanium frame because of the promise of a more forgiving ride than all carbon. I tested a carbon frame and did find the ride somewhat stiff.

Lynskey bikes were available through a local dealer, Maplewood Bicycles; and with their assistance I ordered the Sportive with the Ultegra 6800 group set during a sale event. The bike arrived a couple of weeks earlier than expected, and it looked impressive. After some final fitting adjustments, I took it on the bike paths in St Louis. I've been riding it for two months, and It has proven to be all that I had hoped for. Climbing hills is now a breeze compared to the mountain bikes, and I'm cruising the park roads at 18mph routinely. I added a rear rack, as the Sportive has the appropriate lugs, and I'm able to carry cameras and other items during my rides. The ride is extremely comfortable on the flats, with a slightly softer ride than my one experience with a carbon frame.

I highly recommend the Lynskey Sportive, especially if you haven't owned a road bike in the last decade or two!

[Apr 23, 2014]
Richard

Strength:

- affordable
- durable
- lightweight
- absorbs some shocks, saddle and weight a bit to the back for perfect result
- beautiful
- made me quit smoking.

- the paint is a bit weak (TiO4 is horrible to paint!)

My new mostly-road-bike built around the Lynskey Sportive frame has become my favourite vehicle and is now even in everyday use. I am a flyweight cyclist with my 150 pounds and I can't complain: In comparison to carbon/alu/steel the damaged roads on my daily way to work feel a lot better; I sit on a 3T/Selle Italia combination with Enve fork 2.0.

This frame is of real heirloom quality.

[Apr 21, 2014]
Eric K.

Strength:

Smooth ride on the seat and stiff enough through the bottom bracket to avoid flexy acceleration. Beautiful welds from craftsmen in the USA.

Toe-clip overlap in M and smaller sizes. Order the largest size that includes your height range to avoid or minimize toe-clip overlap.

I wanted a durable bike with a smooth ride because there are plenty of rough roads and even cattle guards near San Francisco, and Ti's high modulus of elasticity allows the frame to absorb some of the bumps before it gets to the seat. The curved seat stays on the Sportive seem to help out further.

A carbon frame wouldn't be as durable because carbon fiber is just fabric without the resin and the structural integrity can be damaged in a crash. I'm 33 and hope to be biking on this frame for as long as I can ride. It's unlikely a carbon or aluminum frame (because of fatigue limit) will last a lifetime of heavy use.

I originally ordered the Viale with Shimano 105 in April 2013 yet Lynskey was overwhelmed with demand for the Silver Series models and offered the Sportive with Shimano 105 for the same price.

The stock seat doesn't have much padding and is very narrow, but it works great with a high-end chamois like the Formula FX chamois in Sugoi RS bibs. My longest ride was 128 miles out to Pt. Reyes Lighthouse and the Ti frame and Sugoi Formula FX chamois helped avoid any saddle soreness.

The welds look amazing, and I really like the unpainted matte finish. I removed the decals because I wanted a stealth bike that can be locked up on street with a titanium TiGr lock. Most people think it is a cheaper steel or aluminum frame, which is fine by me.

I wanted a bike with brazed-on rack and fender mounts because I tried to retrofit a rack and fenders on my dad's old road bike 10 years ago and ended up getting a flat tire because there wasn't enough clearance on the rear fender to avoid it from rubbing on the tire.

While the Sportive's mounts are great, especially with the shamrocks in the dropouts, there is only clearance with fenders for 23mm wheels in front and 25 mm in rear. Furthermore, the front triangle geometry is compact (it's the same as the racing Rouler model), and there is at least 1 cm of toe clip overlap for Euro size 42 (US 9) shoes even with the cleat in the forward position to minimize overlap. Adding a front fender would make that overlap worse. If you really want to use fenders with 25 mm or larger tires, get a Viale or Cooper.

It rarely rains in SF and the streets dry quickly afterwards, so I just decided to avoid biking on rainy days so I can keep riding 28 mm tires. I have an Axiom rack and used its attachment bolts to hold a 2" wide piece of plastic to keep rear wheel spay from hitting my back.

In retrospect I should have ordered the ML frame size, as it has 1.59 cm more space between the front wheel and pedals. At 5' 9", I was either at the high end of the medium size or the low end of ML. My LBS, Roaring Mouse Cycles, offers a fit guarantee yet I had waited 2.5 months for the bike it didn't seem worth waiting another month or two to exchange it for a larger size.
The head tube angle (72) and seat tube angle (73.5) are the same as on the Peloton but it has 1.85 cm more room between the front wheel and the pedals than the Sportive (or the Rouler) in size M.

Because of the compact geometry, I recommend ordering the largest size that includes your height range to minimize toe-clip overlap. A larger size will also have a taller head tube, minimizing the number of spacers and reducing stresses on the fork's steerer tube (which is important if you want an all carbon fork.)

Overall, I'm really happy with the bike and look forward to decades of great rides on it.

[Apr 18, 2014]
Larry Seibert

Strength:

Solid build, excellent ride, light and fast

I have been riding my Sportive (Ultegra, Ksyrium) a couple of times a week, and find that the ride is everything I had hoped for. It is very smooth on even the roughest pavement. I switched out the seat and got a little shorter stem and have now dialed everything into perfection. I had tried a very expensive Specialized S-Works carbon rocket before I bought the Sportive, as well as the Trek Domane. I felt bad that I didn't love them, but for my taste they seemed a bit harsh. Now that I have a titanium bike, I am convinced that while carbon might be really great for racing (and people who will sacrifice looks for comfort), it has essentially been sold to the general public under somewhat false pretenses. I don't feel I have given up much in the way of speed, as I seem to turn in the same lap times as I always have. I'm just a lot more comfortable.

I did a ton of homework before buying and thought I was making the right choice. Now I know I did. I am very happy.

Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Look 566

[Nov 06, 2013]
Chris Schiano

Strength:

The solid Ti construction and curved seat stays make this a great general use frame for club rides and commuting.

The rear derailleur is solid with hr frame; I would have preferred it be replaceable.

The frame is a solid ride with excellent torsional stiffness but enough vertical flex to make a rough road ride much more tolerable. The ride is also very stable, I can take sharp corners and fast downhill runs without wobble. The common club rides in NM include lots of hills and poorly maintained back roads, so a solid yet light frame with a compact crank is required. The Sportive and R230 both offer a perfect trade-off between weight and durability. The choice to go titanium is also highly recommended over carbon on the NM and reservation back roads.

Specialized Tarmac