Specialized Expedition Low Entry Commuter Bike

Specialized Expedition Low Entry Commuter Bike

Around town or the campground, the Expedition is comfortable, plush, and perfect for cruising paved and dirt roads. Low-entry frame improves convenience and confidence, and 21 speeds will keep the pedaling efficient on any terrain.

[Apr 07, 2015]
mike miller

Strength:

An inexpensive, solid quality comfort bike. 7 speeds on a rear derailleur controlled with a twist grip. The alloy frame is heavier than a good road bike, but robust and should last a lifetime. The front forks help to smooth the ride. Balloon tires also help with the ride, though they do require a bit more effort on pavement than thin, high pressure road tires.

The gearing is low, to allow for easier pedaling around town, but I found 13-14 to be about as fast as I could pedal. I slightly larger front sprocket that would allow a more reasonable cadence at a higher speed. The twist shifter works well, but feels cheap and not built to last. The bike is a little heavy, though probably about average for this class.

I am a 70 year old man in good health, but I can no longer do justice to a high performance bike and my days of very long cross country trips are long in my past. This bike is a fine choice for a 'beach cruiser' or for casual around town use. I like mine, though I may convert it to electric assist to ease the arthritic pain in my knees. I bought the bike because it is light enough to haul up a flight of stairs and strong enough to carry a motor and batteries.

OVERALL