Trek Soho S Commuter Bike

• Seat Post: Bontrager Satellite Nebula
  • Handlebars: Bontrager SSR, 25mm rise

[Aug 23, 2009]
ME

Strength:

I feel very comfortable with the upright seating position. I am more confident traveling through the city when I can see farther down the street. The wheels have been great. I took them off-road a few times and have no problems(200lbs+).

Frame is strong, but aluminum is not the best material to make a bike from, it is the cheapest. Saddle, tires and grips were replaced.

i have been riding this bike everyday since October(2000+miles). I started commuting on it, now I am addicted to fixed gear training. I have never been strong in the spring then after a winter on a fixed gear. I have added SKS fenders as well as a rear rack.Fenders come in sizes, make sure you have the right size before attempting to install. I swapped the saddle and tires. I also cut the handlebar a bit. I only use a front brake and have no problem stopping on a dime. If your brakes are not working, find a new shop to do your work.

Bianchi San Jose, Lemond Fillmore

[Jul 11, 2009]
Ken Stalcup

Strength:

Looks great. Light. Fast.

I did replace the pedals.

I wanted a simple, good looking bike for a flat 15 mile commute to the office and 23 mile return home. Indianapols city buses have bike carriers. I ride the morning bus to downtown Indy and ride a smooth, hill-free commuter trail for 15 miles to my office. The return home includes the commuter trail and about eight miles of bumpy city streets, rail road crossings, traffic, gravel, curbs and all the other things typical to a city commuter.

The bike is light and fast. I like the looks too. I find I'm riding at a slightly slower, but steady pace than I ride with my geared road bike.

The upright ride has been comfortable. I'm 5'10" and 175lbs. For me the seat and upright ride are fine. The frame is stiff and you will feel bumps on this ride.

It's been a good bike. I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time on it.

[Mar 28, 2009]
Glen

Strength:

Black on Black - Stealth look is awesome!
Cheap parts but work really well

Tyres are rubbish, changed bars and levers. Also the 44t - 17t ratio was a bit to low geared for me.

I love this bike! I use it to comute to and from work, about 16km each way. I have had NO probelms with it, it is brillant!

Too many to mention

[Feb 11, 2009]
Mel77

Strength:

It isn't ugly

Lousy components, overpriced

Bought this bike for commuting in NYC winter. Terrible components! Cheap stuff - bad seat, grips, slippery pedals, brake pads so hard the bike won't stop until you change them out. This bike is not up to the bumpy streets of Manhattan, the chain won't stay tight no matter how much you torque down the rear wheel bolts, chain guard makes noise. It is also VERY hard to mount fenders on. First and last Trek I will ever own. Don't pay $500 for this bike - go to Walmart and get a better one. The name Soho is truly a joke - this bike wouldn't last one ride on paving stone streets without needing maintenance.

Giant FCR2, Giant TCR1

[Feb 08, 2009]
twowheelsgood

Strength:

A really fun ride, comfortable for short distances and great in all weather - I look forward to using this!

The quality of the components seems poor even for a cheap bike. The chain has caused nothing but troubles. The freewheel grinds, the pedals are uncomfortable as is the saddle. However, unlike alot of other users I haven't had any troubles with the brakes - stopping = no problem, what ever the weather.

I have used this bike for about sixth months now, I brought it second hand though I was the first person to ride it. On the whole this is a nice bike, I love to ride it and find it a fun and easy ride - not a commuter but a proper fixie/singlespeed. However no matter how much I love it, it doesn't seem to love me and since I have had it there have been a number of troubles - firstly and mainly the chain - no matter how tightly I pull it it works its way off, when it does so it jams between the freewheel and the spokes, the last time it did this I had to replace all the spokes on the drive side! It has also come disconnected before. I also find the seat uncofortable. The geometry is also something that I don't like - I personally find it too laid back, going from a pinerello race bike to this is an uncomfortable difference. To compensate I have flipped the stem upside down and increased the saddle height but still not ideal, for anything like race geometry this bike is no good.

Pinerello road racer, old young's bike...

[Jan 20, 2009]
jsorensen12

Strength:

Solid bike and bullet proof single speed set up. Sweet black on black paint scheme.

BRAKES...more so a lack of. I would recommend getting them swapped out at the shop before you take it home. Don't be like me and think you'll manage and then get caught off guard in the rain and blow through an intersection. I have yet to find a fender set up that will work. I remember seeing on a commuter review site that someone found a set to fit the bike fine. The Trek/Bontrager set I purchased had a lot of interference problems. I think I will just get a quick disconnect set up even though they don't offer the same protection from rooster tails, the fight with bolt on's isn't worth it on this bike. I hate the look of fenders but in the late winter/early spring slop in Nebraska you need them. The pedals are not too good either, I switched to a pair of Crank Brothers Mallets. I found my feet slipping a lot with the stock pedals.

I bought this as a commuter/errand bike and I love it. It's my first single speed and took some getting used to on the hills but I always look forward to hopping on it. I love the stealthy black on black paint scheme. Beware of the brakes, they are HORRIBLE!!! especially in the rain. I expected more from Trek on the brakes...this is not a department store bike so don't put department store brakes on it. I know this is a lower price range but this almost seems like a liability issue. I replaced mine with Shimano Ultegra SL's. The SL's are a black/grey chrome to keep the stealthy look. If you switch, beware of possible tire/brake pad clearance problem on the rear brake, I got mine to work but you may not be as lucky. The seat is terrible too as I have found with all my Trek factory saddles.

none...first single speed.