Day 6 The Dream Cruiser Bike

Day 6 The Dream Cruiser Bike

Day 6 The Dream Aluminum Beach 21 Speed Cruiser

[Oct 08, 2017]
David Brechwald

Strength:

Very comfortable and safe to ride. I am 74 and have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders. Therefore, I was concerned about falling from my traditional bike and injuring myself again. This allows me to easily touch the ground with both feet when coming to a stop and avoid possible falls. This bike is much more comfortable, fun and easy to ride.

The bike is a little more unstable and harder to balance at slow speeds but, with practice, I have become more used to it. During summer weather my back does get a little warm against the back rest on the seat but the comfort of the seat and back rest far outweighs that minor problem.

Very good bike for casual riding. I find riding to be much more enjoyable now. I am very glad I purchased one.

[Feb 19, 2017]
Steve Matthews

Strength:

Most comfortable bike ever made. Last bike you will ever need or want. Quality made.

The span of the bike is very long yet it must be to get those comfort effects. The bike name is almost unheard of and people are skeptical because there is little marketing and most bike shops do not know how great this bike really is.

This bike is terrific and the last bike you will ever need or want. My wife has one and I have the Samson model as I am obese and require heavy duty. For a big guy the Samson is better and the wheels and components are upgraded on this model. However for my wife this bike is ideal. We have had this bike for about 4 years now and there is nothing like it. Everywhere we ride people ask if they can ride them. Actually I would like to sell these for Day6 because I believe in this product so much. If you are large, have knee or hip issues this is the only product for you that allows you to ride without pain.

[Feb 22, 2013]
David Wagner

Strength:

Upright riding posture eliminates neck stress.

Comes with very cheap components. Steering is twitchy. High center of mass reduces stability. Upright riding posture increases shock to pelvis and spine from sharp bumps.

I purchased a Day 6 Dream 21 in February 2012. I have put nearly 1500 miles on it since then, including the MS-150 from Houston to Austin. My former bike was a 1979 Trek 512 touring bike with a Brooks B-17 narrow saddle. I had been happy with the Trek but neck problems forced me to switch to a bike with an upright riding position. The Dream 21 comes with good derailleurs and cheap wheels, cassette, crankset, and chain. I replaced the wheels, cassette, rear derailleur, crankset and chain with:

SRAM X7 Twist shifters
SRAM X7 Rear derailleur
Deore triple crankset
Mavic XM317/ Shimano M590 hubs/DT Swiss spokes
PG950 cassette with 12-26 range
New SRAM chain.

Cost of the upgrades was about $600. This made the bike more fun to ride, and a bit faster. I also put a Vittorio/Geax Streetrunner tire (1-1/4 inch) on the front, and a high-pressure, 1-1/2 inch tire on the rear. I transferred my Bontrager cleated pedals to the new bike, as well.

It's still a heavy bike, the steering is twitchy, and the center of mass with rider is high. I am afraid to cross a bridge on a 3-foot wide sidewalk because one little mistake will dump me into a busy road or throw me over the guard rail into the Braes Bayou below. I never had a problem with this on my old bike. But with the upgrade I am pretty happy with the Day 6. If they could put a suspension seatpost into it, I might like it better.

One comment: The bike is unusual in several ways, but one that stands out is the back rest. Some think of the back rest as a lumbar support but it does not function in that way. It just serves as something to push against while pedaling. You should think of the back rest as a pelvic support and adjust it so that your sitbones are in the right place when your pelvis is against the back rest.

If I knew of a better bike with an upright--not slouching--riding position, I would have tried it. I would really like to have a lower riding position and less twitchy steering, but I would also like to be 30 years younger...